Andra Hohler James, MD
I am an OB-GYN and a specialist in maternal-fetal medicine and high-risk obstetrics. My research and publications pertain mainly to the care of women with blood disorders (thrombosis and thrombophilia), bleeding disorders (including von Willebrand disease), platelet disorders (including ITP), and sickle cell disease.
Education and Training
- Associate, Obstetrics And Gynecology, Duke University, 1997 - 2000
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1993 - 1997
- M.D., University of Virginia, 1993
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins University, 1977
Selected Grants and Awards
- Hemostatic markers in the immediate postpartum period
- Moving the ACR's Reproductive Health Guidelines into Practice
- Transfusion Medicine and Hematology
- Preventing venous thromboembolism following cesarean delivery: building evidence to inform practice
- A Multicenter Study on the Retrospective Safety and Efficacy of Fibrinogen Concentrate (Human) (FCH) for Routine Prophylaxis, Treatment of Bleeding or Surgery in Subjects with Congenital Fibrinogen Deficiency with a Prospective Followup Component
- Thrombosis and Hemostasis Centers Research and Prevention Network
- Integrated Program for Persons with Hemostatic Disorders
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Risk Group
- CDC Menorrhagia Treatment Study
- CDC PO- IUGR Study
Miszta, Adam, Homa K. Ahmadzia, Naomi L. C. Luban, Shuhui Li, Dong Guo, Lori A. Holle, Jeffrey S. Berger, et al. “Application of a plasmin generation assay to define pharmacodynamic effects of tranexamic acid in women undergoing cesarean delivery.” J Thromb Haemost 19, no. 1 (January 2021): 221–32. https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.15114.
Federspiel, Jerome J., Lauren E. Wein, Kateena L. Addae-Konadu, Kristin C. Darwin, Laura E. Talamo, Evan R. Myers, and Andra H. James. “Venous thromboembolism incidence among patients recommended for pharmacologic thromboembolism prophylaxis after cesarean delivery in selected guidelines.” J Thromb Haemost, December 21, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.15218.
Ahmadzia, Homa K., Naomi L. C. Luban, Shuhui Li, Dong Guo, Adam Miszta, Jogarao V. S. Gobburu, Jeffrey S. Berger, Andra H. James, Alisa S. Wolberg, and John van den Anker. “Optimal use of intravenous tranexamic acid for hemorrhage prevention in pregnant women.” Am J Obstet Gynecol, November 26, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2020.11.035.
Ahmadzia, Homa K., Elaine B. Hynds, Richard L. Amdur, Alexis C. Gimovsky, Andra H. James, and Naomi L. C. Luban. “National trends in tranexamic acid use in the peripartum period, 2015-2019.” J Thromb Thrombolysis 50, no. 3 (October 2020): 746–52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11239-020-02141-4.
Mead, Henry, and Andra H. James. “Heavy menstrual bleeding in the community: Presentation at the emergency department.” In Haemophilia, 26:76–76, 2020.
Ahmadzia, Homa K., Naomi L. Luban, Alexandra North, Jeffrey Berger, Andra H. James, Alisa S. Wolberg, and John van den Anker. “436: Effect of tranexamic acid dose on clot lysis: implications for preventing postpartum hemorrhage.” In American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 222:S286–S286. Elsevier BV, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2019.11.452.
James, Andra, and Jerome Federspiel. “Inherited Thrombophilias.” In Protocols for High-Risk Pregnancies, edited by Charles Lockwood and Catherine Spong, 2020.