Andra Hohler James, MD
I am an OB-GYN and a specialist in maternal-fetal medicine and high-risk obstetrics. My research and publications pertain mainly to the care of women with blood disorders (thrombosis and thrombophilia), bleeding disorders (including von Willebrand disease), platelet disorders (including ITP), and sickle cell disease.
Education and Training
- Associate, Obstetrics And Gynecology, Duke University, 1997 - 2000
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1993 - 1997
- M.D., University of Virginia, 1993
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins University, 1977
Selected Grants and Awards
- Hemostatic markers in the immediate postpartum period
- Moving the ACR's Reproductive Health Guidelines into Practice
- Duke CTSA (TL1)
- Preventing venous thromboembolism following cesarean delivery: building evidence to inform practice
- Transfusion Medicine and Hematology
- A Multicenter Study on the Retrospective Safety and Efficacy of Fibrinogen Concentrate (Human) (FCH) for Routine Prophylaxis, Treatment of Bleeding or Surgery in Subjects with Congenital Fibrinogen Deficiency with a Prospective Followup Component
- Thrombosis and Hemostasis Centers Research and Prevention Network
- Integrated Program for Persons with Hemostatic Disorders
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Risk Group
- CDC Menorrhagia Treatment Study
- CDC PO- IUGR Study
Ahmadzia, Homa K., Naomi L. C. Luban, Shuhui Li, Dong Guo, Adam Miszta, Jogarao V. S. Gobburu, Jeffrey S. Berger, Andra H. James, Alisa S. Wolberg, and John van den Anker. “Optimal use of intravenous tranexamic acid for hemorrhage prevention in pregnant women.” Am J Obstet Gynecol 225, no. 1 (July 2021): 85.e1-85.e11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2020.11.035.
Bauer, Melissa E., Katherine Arendt, Yaakov Beilin, Terry Gernsheimer, Juliana Perez Botero, Andra H. James, Edward Yaghmour, et al. “The Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology Interdisciplinary Consensus Statement on Neuraxial Procedures in Obstetric Patients With Thrombocytopenia.” Anesth Analg 132, no. 6 (June 1, 2021): 1531–44. https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000005355.
Federspiel, Jerome J., Lauren E. Wein, Kateena L. Addae-Konadu, Kristin C. Darwin, Laura E. Talamo, Evan R. Myers, and Andra H. James. “Venous thromboembolism incidence among patients recommended for pharmacologic thromboembolism prophylaxis after cesarean delivery in selected guidelines.” J Thromb Haemost 19, no. 3 (March 2021): 830–38. https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.15218.
Li, Shuhui, Homa K. Ahmadzia, Dong Guo, Elyes Dahmane, Adam Miszta, Naomi L. C. Luban, Jeffrey S. Berger, et al. “Population pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of Tranexamic acid in women undergoing caesarean delivery.” Br J Clin Pharmacol, February 11, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1111/bcp.14767.
DeNoble, Anna, Julia Moyett, Sarah Goldstein, Cary Ward, Andra H. James, and Chad Grotegut. “Comparison of N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide levels in healthy obese and non-obese pregnant women.” In American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 224:S337–S337, 2021.
Federspiel, Jerome, Lauren Wein, Laura Talamo, Evan Myers, and Andra H. James. “Projected impact of guideline adoption on venous thromboembolism incidence following cesarean delivery in the US.” In American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 224:S211–12, 2021.
Miszta, Adam, Homa K. Ahmadzia, Naomi L. C. Luban, Shuhui Li, Dong Guo, Lori A. Holle, Jeffrey S. Berger, et al. “Application of a plasmin generation assay to define pharmacodynamic effects of tranexamic acid in women undergoing cesarean delivery.” J Thromb Haemost 19, no. 1 (January 2021): 221–32. https://doi.org/10.1111/jth.15114.
Ahmadzia, Homa K., Elaine B. Hynds, Richard L. Amdur, Alexis C. Gimovsky, Andra H. James, and Naomi L. C. Luban. “National trends in tranexamic acid use in the peripartum period, 2015-2019.” J Thromb Thrombolysis 50, no. 3 (October 2020): 746–52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11239-020-02141-4.