James, Andra. “Sickle cell disease.” Contemporary Ob/Gyn 64, no. 7 (July 2019): 20–24.
Andra Hohler James, MD
I am an OB-GYN and a specialist in maternal-fetal medicine and high-risk obstetrics. My research and publications pertain mainly to the care of women with blood disorders (thrombosis and thrombophilia), bleeding disorders (including von Willebrand disease), platelet disorders (including ITP), and sickle cell disease.
Education and Training
- Associate, Obstetrics And Gynecology, Duke University, 1997 - 2000
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1993 - 1997
- M.D., University of Virginia, 1993
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins University, 1977
Selected Grants and Awards
- Transfusion Medicine and Hematology
- Preventing venous thromboembolism following cesarean delivery: building evidence to inform practice
- A Multicenter Study on the Retrospective Safety and Efficacy of Fibrinogen Concentrate (Human) (FCH) for Routine Prophylaxis, Treatment of Bleeding or Surgery in Subjects with Congenital Fibrinogen Deficiency with a Prospective Followup Component
- Thrombosis and Hemostasis Centers Research and Prevention Network
- Integrated Program for Persons with Hemostatic Disorders
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Risk Group
- CDC Menorrhagia Treatment Study
- CDC PO- IUGR Study
Day, Melissa E., Sarah-Jo Stimpson, Mark Rodeghier, Djamila Ghafuri, Michael Callaghan, Ahmar Urooj Zaidi, Bryan Hannan, et al. “Contraceptive Methods and the Impact of Menstruation on Daily Functioning in Women with Sickle Cell Disease.” South Med J 112, no. 3 (March 2019): 174–79. https://doi.org/10.14423/SMJ.0000000000000949.
Sharma, Deva, Melissa E. Day, Sarah-Jo Stimpson, Mark Rodeghier, Djamila Ghafuri, Michael Callaghan, Ahmar Urooj Zaidi, et al. “Acute Vaso-Occlusive Pain is Temporally Associated with the Onset of Menstruation in Women with Sickle Cell Disease.” J Womens Health (Larchmt) 28, no. 2 (February 2019): 162–69. https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2018.7147.
Oppong, Samuel A., Eugenia V. Asare, Edeghonghon Olayemi, Theodore Boafor, Yvonne Dei-Adomakoh, Alim Swarry-Deen, Enoch Mensah, et al. “Multidisciplinary care results in similar maternal and perinatal mortality rates for women with and without SCD in a low-resource setting.” Am J Hematol 94, no. 2 (February 2019): 223–30. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.25356.
Ahmadzia, Homa K., Naomi L. Luban, Ebonie C. Carter, Jeffrey S. Berger, Andra H. James, Alisa S. Wolberg, and John Van Den Anker. “173: Pharmacodynamics of tranexamic acid use for hemorrhage prevention at cesarean delivery.” In American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 220:S129–30. Elsevier BV, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2018.11.194.
Ahmadzia, Homa K., Julia K. Ellis-Kahana, Andrew D. Sparks, Andra H. James, and Alexis C. Gimovsky. “859: Predicting venous thromboembolism in obese pregnant women in a national study.” In American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 220:S559–60. Elsevier BV, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2018.11.882.
Ahmadzia, Homa K., Jaclyn M. Phillips, Andra H. James, Madeline M. Rice, and Richard L. Amdur. “Correction: Predicting peripartum blood transfusion in women undergoing cesarean delivery: A risk prediction model.” Plos One 14, no. 1 (2019): e0211360. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0211360.
Bates, Shannon M., Anita Rajasekhar, Saskia Middeldorp, Claire McLintock, Marc A. Rodger, Andra H. James, Sara R. Vazquez, et al. “American Society of Hematology 2018 guidelines for management of venous thromboembolism: venous thromboembolism in the context of pregnancy.” Blood Adv 2, no. 22 (November 27, 2018): 3317–59. https://doi.org/10.1182/bloodadvances.2018024802.
Ladhani, Noor Niyar N., Richard H. Swartz, Norine Foley, Kara Nerenberg, Eric E. Smith, Gord Gubitz, Dariush Dowlatshahi, et al. “Canadian Stroke Best Practice Consensus Statement: Acute Stroke Management during pregnancy.” Int J Stroke 13, no. 7 (October 2018): 743–58. https://doi.org/10.1177/1747493018786617.