Andra Hohler James, MD
I am an OB-GYN and a specialist in maternal-fetal medicine and high-risk obstetrics. My research and publications pertain mainly to the care of women with blood disorders (thrombosis and thrombophilia), bleeding disorders (including von Willebrand disease), platelet disorders (including ITP), and sickle cell disease.
Education and Training
- Associate, Obstetrics And Gynecology, Duke University, 1997 - 2000
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1993 - 1997
- M.D., University of Virginia, 1993
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins University, 1977
Selected Grants and Awards
- Transfusion Medicine and Hematology
- Preventing venous thromboembolism following cesarean delivery: building evidence to inform practice
- A Multicenter Study on the Retrospective Safety and Efficacy of Fibrinogen Concentrate (Human) (FCH) for Routine Prophylaxis, Treatment of Bleeding or Surgery in Subjects with Congenital Fibrinogen Deficiency with a Prospective Followup Component
- Thrombosis and Hemostasis Centers Research and Prevention Network
- Integrated Program for Persons with Hemostatic Disorders
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Risk Group
- CDC Menorrhagia Treatment Study
- CDC PO- IUGR Study
Srivaths, L. V., Q. C. Zhang, V. R. Byams, J. E. Dietrich, A. H. James, P. A. Kouides, R. Kulkarni, and R. Hemophilia Treatment Centers Network Investigators. “Differences in bleeding phenotype and provider interventions in postmenarchal adolescents when compared to adult women with bleeding disorders and heavy menstrual bleeding.” Haemophilia 24, no. 1 (January 2018): 63–69. https://doi.org/10.1111/hae.13330.
Grotegut, Chad A., Lauren L. Lewis, Tracy A. Manuck, Terrence K. Allen, Andra H. James, Aurelien Seco, and Catherine Deneux-Tharaux. “The Oxytocin Product Correlates with Total Oxytocin Received during Labor: A Research Methods Study.” Am J Perinatol 35, no. 1 (January 2018): 78–83. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0037-1606119.
Asare, Eugenia Vicky, Edeghonghon Olayemi, Theodore Boafor, Yvonne Dei-Adomakoh, Enoch Mensah, Harriet Ghansah, Yvonne Osei-Bonsu, et al. “Implementation of multidisciplinary care reduces maternal mortality in women with sickle cell disease living in low-resource setting.” Am J Hematol 92, no. 9 (September 2017): 872–78. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.24790.