Andra Hohler James, MD
I am an OB-GYN and a specialist in maternal-fetal medicine and high-risk obstetrics. My research and publications pertain mainly to the care of women with blood disorders (thrombosis and thrombophilia), bleeding disorders (including von Willebrand disease), platelet disorders (including ITP), and sickle cell disease.
Education and Training
- Associate, Obstetrics And Gynecology, Duke University, 1997 - 2000
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1993 - 1997
- M.D., University of Virginia, 1993
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins University, 1977
Selected Grants and Awards
- Transfusion Medicine and Hematology
- Preventing venous thromboembolism following cesarean delivery: building evidence to inform practice
- A Multicenter Study on the Retrospective Safety and Efficacy of Fibrinogen Concentrate (Human) (FCH) for Routine Prophylaxis, Treatment of Bleeding or Surgery in Subjects with Congenital Fibrinogen Deficiency with a Prospective Followup Component
- Thrombosis and Hemostasis Centers Research and Prevention Network
- Integrated Program for Persons with Hemostatic Disorders
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Risk Group
- CDC Menorrhagia Treatment Study
- CDC PO- IUGR Study
James, A. H. “Von willebrand: An underdiagnosed disorder: Several forms of the disease exist, and women with excessive reproductive tract bleeding should be tested for it.” Contemporary Ob/Gyn 2017, no. MAY (May 1, 2017).
James, A. H., and E. L. Lockhart. “Blood Management for Patients with Accreta.” In Placenta Accreta Syndrome, edited by Robert Silver. FL: CRC Press, 2017.
Ahmadzia, H. K., E. L. Lockhart, S. M. Thomas, I. J. Welsby, M. R. Hoffman, A. H. James, A. P. Murtha, G. K. Swamy, and C. A. Grotegut. “Using antifibrinolytics in the peripartum period - concern for a hypercoagulable effect?” J Neonatal Perinatal Med 10, no. 1 (2017): 1–7. https://doi.org/10.3233/NPM-16139.
Asare, Eugenia Vicky Naa Kwarley, Yvonne Adomakoh, Edeghonghon Olayemi, Enoch Mensah, Harriet Ghansah, Yvonnne Osei- Bonsu, Selina Crabbe, et al. “Prospective Implementation of Multi-Disciplinary Obstetric Team Decreases the Mortality Rate of Pregnant Women with Sickle Cell Disease in Ghana.” In Blood, 128:1017–1017. American Society of Hematology, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.v128.22.1017.1017.
Machin, Nicoletta, Margaret V. Ragni, Andra H. James, Craig D. Seaman, Lynn M. Malec, Craig M. Kessler, Barbara Konkle, et al. “Von Willebrand Factor to Prevent Postpartum Hemorrhage.” In Blood, 128:1400–1400. American Society of Hematology, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.v128.22.1400.1400.