Tepper, Naomi K., Maura K. Whiteman, Polly A. Marchbanks, Andra H. James, and Kathryn M. Curtis. “Progestin-only contraception and thromboembolism: A systematic review.” Contraception 94, no. 6 (December 2016): 678–700. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2016.04.014.
Andra Hohler James, MD
I am an OB-GYN and a specialist in maternal-fetal medicine and high-risk obstetrics. My research and publications pertain mainly to the care of women with blood disorders (thrombosis and thrombophilia), bleeding disorders (including von Willebrand disease), platelet disorders (including ITP), and sickle cell disease.
Education and Training
- Associate, Obstetrics And Gynecology, Duke University, 1997 - 2000
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1993 - 1997
- M.D., University of Virginia, 1993
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins University, 1977
Selected Grants and Awards
- Transfusion Medicine and Hematology
- Preventing venous thromboembolism following cesarean delivery: building evidence to inform practice
- A Multicenter Study on the Retrospective Safety and Efficacy of Fibrinogen Concentrate (Human) (FCH) for Routine Prophylaxis, Treatment of Bleeding or Surgery in Subjects with Congenital Fibrinogen Deficiency with a Prospective Followup Component
- Thrombosis and Hemostasis Centers Research and Prevention Network
- Integrated Program for Persons with Hemostatic Disorders
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Risk Group
- CDC Menorrhagia Treatment Study
- CDC PO- IUGR Study
Sood, S. L., A. H. James, M. V. Ragni, A. D. Shapiro, C. Witmer, R. Vega, D. Bolgiano, and B. A. Konkle. “A prospective study of von Willebrand factor levels and bleeding in pregnant women with type 1 von Willebrand disease.” Haemophilia 22, no. 6 (November 2016): e562–64. https://doi.org/10.1111/hae.13086.
Hill, Cherie C., Evelyn L. Lockhart, Elizabeth Thames, Michael J. Paglia, Maria J. Small, Andra H. James, and Chad A. Grotegut. “Comparison of the Trends in Risk Factors and Management of Severe Postpartum Hemorrhage Years 2000-2004 Versus 2005-2008.” J Reprod Med 61, no. 7–8 (August 2016): 320–26.
Hill, C. C., E. L. Lockhart, E. Thames, M. J. Paglia, M. J. Small, A. H. James, and C. A. Grotegut. “Comparison of the trends in risk factors and management of severe postpartum hemorrhage: Years 2000–2004 versus 2005–2008.” Journal of Reproductive Medicine 61, no. 4 (August 1, 2016): 320–26.
Rodger, Marc A., Penny Phillips, Susan R. Kahn, Shannon Bates, Sarah McDonald, Rshmi Khurana, Andra H. James, Barbara A. Konkle, and Barbara A. PROSPER Investigators: Tim Ramsay, Dean Fergusson, Anne McLeod, Wee Shian Chan, Rshmi Khurana, Kara Narenberg, Haim Abenhaim, John Heit, Ghada Bourjeilly, Paul Gibson, Kent Bailey. “Low molecular weight heparin to prevent postpartum venous thromboembolism: A pilot study to assess the feasibility of a randomized, open-label trial.” Thromb Res 142 (June 2016): 17–20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2016.04.004.
Ragni, MV, Machin, N, Malec, LM, James, AH, Kessler, CM, Konkle, BA, Kouides, PA, Neff, AT, Philipp, CS, and Brambilla, DJ. "Von Willebrand factor for menorrhagia: a survey and literature review." HAEMOPHILIA 22, no. 3 (May 2016): 397-402.