Pierce, SR, Stine, JE, Gehrig, PA, Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Nakayama, J, Snavely, AC, Moore, DT, and Kim, KH. "Prior breast cancer and tamoxifen exposure does not influence outcomes in women with uterine papillary serous carcinoma." Gynecologic oncology 144, no. 3 (March 2017): 531-535.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Quadra Study
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Secord, AA, and Siamakpour-Reihani, S. "Angiogenesis." In Translational Advances in Gynecologic Cancers, 79-109. February 22, 2017.
Foote, JR, Lopez-Acevedo, M, Buchanan, AH, Secord, AA, Lee, PS, Fountain, C, Myers, ER, Cohn, DE, Reed, SD, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Cost Comparison of Genetic Testing Strategies in Women With Epithelial Ovarian Cancer." Journal of Oncology Practice 13, no. 2 (February 2017): e120-e129.
Foote, JR, Lopez-Acevedo, M, Buchanan, AH, Secord, AA, Lee, PS, Fountain, C, Myers, ER, Cohn, DE, Reed, SD, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Cost Comparison of Genetic Testing Strategies in Women With Epithelial Ovarian Cancer." Journal of oncology practice 13, no. 2 (February 2017): e120-e129.
Foote, JR, Gaillard, S, Broadwater, G, Sosa, JA, Davidson, B, Adam, MA, Secord, AA, Jones, MB, Chino, J, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Disparities in the surgical staging of high-grade endometrial cancer in the United States." Gynecologic oncology research and practice 4 (January 19, 2017): 1-.
Lee, PS, Kempner, S, Miller, M, Dominguez, J, Grotegut, C, Ehrisman, J, Previs, R, Havrilesky, LJ, Broadwater, G, Ellestad, SC, and Secord, AA. "Multidisciplinary approach to manage antenatally suspected placenta percreta: updated algorithm and patient outcomes." Gynecologic oncology research and practice 4 (January 2017): 11-.
Garcia-Soto, AE, Java, JJ, Nieves Neira, W, Pearson, JM, Cohn, DE, Lele, SB, Tewari, KS, Walker, JL, Alvarez Secord, A, Armstrong, DK, and Copeland, LJ. "Does time interval between surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy administration in advanced ovarian cancer carry a prognostic impact? An NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group study ancillary study." Gynecologic oncology 143, no. 3 (December 2016): 484-489.
Dottino, JA, Hasselblad, V, Secord, AA, Myers, ER, Chino, J, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Levonorgestrel Intrauterine Device as an Endometrial Cancer Prevention Strategy in Obese Women: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis." Obstetrics and gynecology 128, no. 4 (October 2016): 747-753.
Ehrisman, J, Secord, AA, Berchuck, A, Lee, PS, Di Santo, N, Lopez-Acevedo, M, Broadwater, G, Valea, FA, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Performance of sentinel lymph node biopsy in high-risk endometrial cancer." Gynecologic oncology reports 17 (August 2016): 69-71.
Secord, AA, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Is Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy Dead?." Obstetrics and gynecology 127, no. 6 (June 2016): 983-984.