Chino, J, and Secord, AA. "Image-guided Brachytherapy for Gynecologic Surgeons." Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America 22, no. 3 (2013): 495-509.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Quadra Study
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Turner, T, Secord, AA, Lowery, WJ, Sfakianos, G, and Lee, PS. "Metastatic adenocarcinoma after laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy with morcellation: A case report." Gynecologic Oncology Case Reports 5 (2013): 19-21.
Zighelboim, I, Wright, JD, Gao, F, Case, AS, Massad, LS, Mutch, DG, Powell, MA, Thaker, PH, Eisenhauer, EL, Cohn, DE, Valea, FA, Secord, AA, Lippmann, LT, Dehdashti, F, and Rader, JS. "Multicenter phase II trial of topotecan, cisplatin and bevacizumab for recurrent or persistent cervical cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 130, no. 1 (2013): 64-68.
Secord, AA, and Walsh, CS. "Summary of the 44th Annual Meeting on Women's Cancers." Gynecologic Oncology 129, no. 2 (2013): 273-276.
Lopez-Acevedo, M, Havrilesky, LJ, Broadwater, G, Kamal, AH, Abernethy, AP, Berchuck, A, Secord, AA, Tulsky, JA, Valea, F, and Lee, PS. "Timing of end-of-life care discussion with performance on end-of-life quality indicators in ovarian cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 130, no. 1 (2013): 156-161.
Alvarez Secord, A, Bernardini, MQ, Broadwater, G, Grace, LA, Huang, Z, Baba, T, Kondoh, E, Sfakianos, G, Havrilesky, LJ, and Murphy, SK. "TP53 Status is Associated with Thrombospondin1 Expression In vitro. (Published online)" Front Oncol 3 (2013): 269-.
Lopez-Acevedo, M, Zhang, C, Secord, AA, Lee, PS, Havrilesky, LJ, and Berchuck, A. "Predictors of failure to perform pelvic peritoneal cytology in endometrial cancer staging surgery." JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY 30, no. 34 (December 1, 2012).
Zhang, C, Secord, AA, Lee, PS, Havrilesky, LJ, and Berchuck, A. "Predictors of failure to perform pelvic peritoneal cytology in endometrial cancer staging surgery." Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 30, no. 34_suppl (December 2012): 201-.
Cantrell, LA, Havrilesky, L, Moore, DT, O'Malley, D, Liotta, M, Secord, AA, Nagel, CI, Cohn, DE, Fader, AN, Wallace, AH, Rose, P, and Gehrig, PA. "A multi-institutional cohort study of adjuvant therapy in stage I-II uterine carcinosarcoma." Gynecol Oncol 127, no. 1 (October 2012): 22-26.
Secord, AA, Teoh, DK, Barry, WT, Yu, M, Broadwater, G, Havrilesky, LJ, Lee, PS, Berchuck, A, Lancaster, J, and Wenham, RM. "A phase I trial of dasatinib, an SRC-family kinase inhibitor, in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin in patients with advanced or recurrent ovarian cancer." Clin Cancer Res 18, no. 19 (October 1, 2012): 5489-5498.