Ricci, S, Giuntoli, RL, Eisenhauer, E, Lopez, MA, Krill, L, Tanner, EJ, Gehrig, PA, Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Levinson, K, Frasure, H, Celano, P, and Fader, AN. "Does adjuvant chemotherapy improve survival for women with early-stage uterine leiomyosarcoma?." Gynecologic Oncology 131, no. 3 (December 1, 2013): 629-633.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Ricci, S, Giuntoli, RL, Eisenhauer, E, Lopez, MA, Krill, L, Tanner, EJ, Gehrig, PA, Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Levinson, K, Frasure, H, Celano, P, and Fader, AN. "Does adjuvant chemotherapy improve survival for women with early-stage uterine leiomyosarcoma?." Gynecol Oncol 131, no. 3 (December 2013): 629-633.
Barnett, JC, Alvarez Secord, A, Cohn, DE, Leath, CA, Myers, ER, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Cost effectiveness of alternative strategies for incorporating bevacizumab into the primary treatment of ovarian cancer." Cancer 119, no. 20 (October 15, 2013): 3653-3661.
Krivak, T, Secord, AA, Richard, S, III, LC, Moore, R, Coleman, R, Fiorica, J, Barter, J, Downey, G, Tian, C, and Lele, S. "A chemoresponse assay for prediction of platinum resistance in primary ovarian cancer." GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY 131, no. 1 (October 2013): 276-276.
Karabudak, AA, Hafner, J, Shetty, V, Chen, S, Secord, AA, Morse, MA, and Philip, R. "Autoantibody biomarkers identified by proteomics methods distinguish ovarian cancer from non-ovarian cancer with various CA-125 levels." Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology 139, no. 10 (October 2013): 1757-1770.
Lowery, WJ, Lowery, AW, Barnett, JC, Lopez-Acevedo, M, Lee, PS, Secord, AA, and Havrilesky, L. "Cost-effectiveness of early palliative care intervention in recurrent platinum-resistant ovarian cancer." Gynecol Oncol 130, no. 3 (September 2013): 426-430.
Wenham, RM, Lapolla, J, Lin, H-Y, Apte, SM, Lancaster, JM, Judson, PL, Gonzalez-Bosquet, J, Herschberger, A, Havrilesky, LJ, and Secord, AA. "A phase II trial of docetaxel and bevacizumab in recurrent ovarian cancer within 12 months of prior platinum-based chemotherapy." Gynecol Oncol 130, no. 1 (July 2013): 19-24.
Zighelboim, I, Wright, JD, Gao, F, Case, AS, Massad, LS, Mutch, DG, Powell, MA, Thaker, PH, Eisenhauer, EL, Cohn, DE, Valea, FA, Alvarez Secord, A, Lippmann, LT, Dehdashti, F, and Rader, JS. "Multicenter phase II trial of topotecan, cisplatin and bevacizumab for recurrent or persistent cervical cancer." Gynecol Oncol 130, no. 1 (July 2013): 64-68.
Lopez-Acevedo, M, Havrilesky, LJ, Broadwater, G, Kamal, AH, Abernethy, AP, Berchuck, A, Alvarez Secord, A, Tulsky, JA, Valea, F, and Lee, PS. "Timing of end-of-life care discussion with performance on end-of-life quality indicators in ovarian cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 130, no. 1 (July 2013): 156-161.
Secord, AA, Barnett, JC, Ledermann, JA, Peterson, BL, Myers, ER, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Cost-effectiveness of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation testing to target PARP inhibitor use in platinum-sensitive recurrent ovarian cancer." Int J Gynecol Cancer 23, no. 5 (June 2013): 846-852.