Havrilesky, LJ, Hanna, RK, Poniewierski, MS, Laskey, R, Secord, AA, Gehrig, PA, Lopez, MA, Shafer, A, Van Le, L, Dale, DC, Crawford, J, and Lyman, GH. "Relationship between relative dose intensity and mortality in women receiving combination chemotherapy for stage III-IV epithelial ovarian cancer." May 20, 2011.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Quadra Study
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Morse, MA, Secord, AA, Blackwell, K, Hobeika, AC, Sinnathamby, G, Osada, T, Hafner, J, Philip, M, Clay, TM, Lyerly, HK, and Philip, R. "MHC class I-presented tumor antigens identified in ovarian cancer by immunoproteomic analysis are targets for T-cell responses against breast and ovarian cancer." Clin Cancer Res 17, no. 10 (May 15, 2011): 3408-3419.
Havrilesky, LJ, Hanna, RK, Poniewierski, MS, Laskey, R, Secord, AA, Gehrig, PA, Lopez, MA, Shafer, A, Van Le, L, Dale, DC, Crawford, J, and Lyman, GH. "Relationship between relative dose intensity and mortality in women receiving combination chemotherapy for stage III-IV epithelial ovarian cancer." Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 29, no. 15_suppl (May 2011): 5084-.
Teoh, D, Ayeni, TA, Rubatt, JM, Adams, DJ, Grace, L, Starr, MD, Barry, WT, Berchuck, A, Murphy, SK, and Secord, AA. "Dasatinib (BMS-35482) has synergistic activity with paclitaxel and carboplatin in ovarian cancer cells." Gynecol Oncol 121, no. 1 (April 2011): 187-192.
Sinnathamby, G, Zerfass, J, Hafner, J, Block, P, Nickens, Z, Hobeika, A, Secord, AA, Lyerly, HK, Morse, MA, and Philip, R. "ADAM metallopeptidase domain 17 (ADAM17) is naturally processed through major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class I molecules and is a potential immunotherapeutic target in breast, ovarian and prostate cancers." Clin Exp Immunol 163, no. 3 (March 2011): 324-332.
Teoh, DGK, and Secord, AA. "Antiangiogenic therapies in epithelial ovarian cancer." Cancer Control 18, no. 1 (January 2011): 31-43. (Review)
Osborne, RJ, Filiaci, V, Schink, JC, Mannel, RS, Secord, AA, Kelley, JL, Provencher, D, Miller, DS, Covens, AL, and Lage, JM. "Phase III trial of weekly methotrexate or pulsed dactinomycin for low-risk gestational trophoblastic neoplasia: A gynecologic oncology group study." Journal of Clinical Oncology 29, no. 7 (2011): 825-831.
Zani, S, Stoecker, M, Cox, MW, Secord, AA, and Blazer, DG. "Recurrent granulosa cell tumor presenting with spontaneous retroperitoneal hemorrhage: A case report." Gynecologic Oncology Case Reports 1, no. 1 (2011): 14-16.
Teoh, D, Won, JS, Eisberg, R, Nolte, K, and Secord, AA. "Severe ulceration over mandibular torus in an ovarian cancer patient receiving bevacizumab therapy." Gynecologic Oncology Case Reports 1, no. 1 (2011): 20-21.
Miller, BE, Blessing, JA, Stehman, FB, Shahin, MS, Yamada, SD, Secord, AA, Warshal, DP, Abulafia, O, Richards, WE, and Van Le, L. "A phase II evaluation of weekly gemcitabine and docetaxel for second-line treatment of recurrent carcinosarcoma of the uterus: a gynecologic oncology group study." Gynecol Oncol 118, no. 2 (August 1, 2010): 139-144.