Siamakpour- Reihani, S, Jiang, C, Turner, T, Owzar, K, Berchuck, A, Dewhirst, M, and Alvarez Secord, A. "Abstract 330A: Differential expression of angiogenic genes in invasive high grade serous ovarian carcinomas." April 15, 2013.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3016 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Hanna, RK, Poniewierski, MS, Laskey, RA, Lopez, MA, Shafer, A, Van Le, L, Crawford, J, Dale, DC, Gehrig, PA, Secord, AA, Havrilesky, LJ, and Lyman, GH. "Predictors of reduced relative dose intensity and its relationship to mortality in women receiving multi-agent chemotherapy for epithelial ovarian cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 129, no. 1 (April 2013): 74-80.
Secord, AA, Geller, MA, Broadwater, G, Holloway, R, Shuler, K, Dao, N-Y, Gehrig, PA, O'Malley, DM, Finkler, N, and Havrilesky, LJ. "A multicenter evaluation of adjuvant therapy in women with optimally resected stage IIIC endometrial cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 128, no. 1 (2013): 65-70.
Secord, AA, Geller, MA, Broadwater, G, Holloway, R, Shuler, K, Dao, N-Y, Gehrig, PA, O'Malley, DM, Finkler, N, and Havrilesky, LJ. "A multicenter evaluation of adjuvant therapy in women with optimally resected stage IIIC endometrial cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 128, no. 1 (January 2013): 65-70.
Wenham, RM, Lapolla, J, Lin, H-Y, Apte, SM, Lancaster, JM, Judson, PL, Gonzalez-Bosquet, J, Herschberger, A, Havrilesky, LJ, and Secord, AA. "A phase II trial of docetaxel and bevacizumab in recurrent ovarian cancer within 12 months of prior platinum-based chemotherapy." Gynecologic Oncology 130, no. 1 (2013): 19-24.
Karabudak, AA, Hafner, J, Shetty, V, Chen, S, Secord, AA, Morse, MA, and Philip, R. "Autoantibody biomarkers identified by proteomics methods distinguish ovarian cancer from non-ovarian cancer with various CA-125 levels." Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology 139, no. 10 (2013): 1757-1770.
Garg, K, Levine, DA, Olvera, N, Dao, F, Bisogna, M, Secord, AA, Berchuck, A, Cerami, E, Schultz, N, and Soslow, RA. "BRCA1 immunohistochemistry in a molecularly characterized cohort of ovarian high-grade serous carcinomas." The American Journal of Surgical Pathology 37, no. 1 (January 2013): 138-146.
Barnett, JC, Secord, AA, Cohn, DE, II, CAL, Myers, ER, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Cost effectiveness of alternative strategies for incorporating bevacizumab into the primary treatment of ovarian cancer." Cancer 119, no. 20 (2013): 3653-3661.
Lowery, WJ, Lowery, AW, Barnett, JC, Lopez-Acevedo, M, Lee, PS, Secord, AA, and Havrilesky, L. "Cost-effectiveness of early palliative care intervention in recurrent platinum-resistant ovarian cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 130, no. 3 (2013): 426-430.
Previs, RA, Edwards, JM, Secord, AA, Nucci, MR, Bentley, RC, and Hall, AHS. "Cystic fibrosis involving the cervix, mimicking a well-differentiated adenocarcinoma: A case report." International Journal of Gynecological Pathology (2013).