Cantrell, LA, Havrilesky, L, Moore, DT, O'Malley, D, Liotta, M, Secord, AA, Nagel, CI, Cohn, DE, Fader, AN, Wallace, AH, Rose, P, and Gehrig, PA. "A multi-institutional cohort study of adjuvant therapy in stage I-II uterine carcinosarcoma." Gynecologic Oncology 127, no. 1 (October 2012): 22-26.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3016 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Secord, AA, Teoh, DK, Barry, WT, Yu, M, Broadwater, G, Havrilesky, LJ, Lee, PS, Berchuck, A, Lancaster, J, and Wenham, RM. "A phase I trial of dasatinib, an SRC-family kinase inhibitor, in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin in patients with advanced or recurrent ovarian cancer." Clinical Cancer Research : an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research 18, no. 19 (October 2012): 5489-5498.
Aghajanian, C, Sill, MW, Secord, AA, Powell, MA, and Steinhoff, M. "Iniparib plus paclitaxel and carboplatin as initial treatment of advanced or recurrent uterine carcinosarcoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study." Gynecologic Oncology 126, no. 3 (September 2012): 424-427.
Franasiak, J, Ko, EM, Kidd, J, Secord, AA, Bell, M, Boggess, JF, and Gehrig, PA. "Physical strain and urgent need for ergonomic training among gynecologic oncologists who perform minimally invasive surgery." Gynecol Oncol 126, no. 3 (September 2012): 437-442.
Fader, AN, Seamon, LG, Escobar, PF, Frasure, HE, Havrilesky, LA, Zanotti, KM, Secord, AA, Boggess, JF, Cohn, DE, Fowler, JM, Skafianos, G, Rossi, E, and Gehrig, PA. "Minimally invasive surgery versus laparotomy in women with high grade endometrial cancer: a multi-site study performed at high volume cancer centers." Gynecol Oncol 126, no. 2 (August 2012): 180-185.
Secord, AA, and Gehrig, PA. "Obesity: Too big a problem to ignore." Gynecol Oncol 126, no. 2 (August 2012): 274-276.
Alvarez Secord, A, Berchuck, A, Higgins, RV, Nycum, LR, Kohler, MF, Puls, LE, Holloway, RW, Lewandowski, GS, Valea, FA, and Havrilesky, LJ. "A multicenter, randomized, phase 2 clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of combination docetaxel and carboplatin and sequential therapy with docetaxel then carboplatin in patients with recurrent platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer." Cancer 118, no. 13 (July 1, 2012): 3283-3293.
Vlahovic, G, Meadows, KL, Uronis, HE, Morse, MA, Blobe, GC, Riedel, RF, Zafar, SY, Alvarez-Secord, A, Gockerman, J, Starodub, AN, Ready, NE, Anderson, EL, Bendell, JC, and Hurwitz, HI. "A phase I study of bevacizumab, everolimus and panitumumab in advanced solid tumors." Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 70, no. 1 (July 2012): 95-102.
Lowery, WJ, Gehrig, PA, Ko, E, Secord, AA, Chino, J, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Surgical staging for endometrial cancer in the elderly - is there a role for lymphadenectomy?." Gynecol Oncol 126, no. 1 (July 2012): 12-15.
Laskey, RA, Poniewierski, MS, Lopez, MA, Hanna, RK, Secord, AA, Gehrig, PA, Lyman, GH, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Predictors of severe and febrile neutropenia during primary chemotherapy for ovarian cancer." Gynecol Oncol 125, no. 3 (June 2012): 625-630.