Chino, JP, Jones, E, Berchuck, A, Secord, AA, and Havrilesky, LJ. "The influence of radiation modality and lymph node dissection on survival in early-stage endometrial cancer." Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82, no. 5 (April 1, 2012): 1872-1879.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3016 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Teoh, D, and Secord, AA. "Antiangiogenic agents in combination with chemotherapy for the treatment of epithelial ovarian cancer." International Journal of Gynecological Cancer : Official Journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society 22, no. 3 (March 2012): 348-359. (Review)
Berchuck, A, Secord, AA, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Minimally invasive surgery for endometrial cancer: the horse is already out of the barn." J Clin Oncol 30, no. 7 (March 1, 2012): 681-682.
Havrilesky, LJ, Pokrzywinski, R, Revicki, D, Higgins, RV, Nycum, LR, Kohler, MF, Berchuck, A, Myers, ER, and Secord, AA. "Cost-effectiveness of combination versus sequential docetaxel and carboplatin for the treatment of platinum-sensitive, recurrent ovarian cancer." Cancer 118, no. 2 (January 15, 2012): 386-391.
Edwards, JM, Lowery, WJ, and Secord, AA. "Quinary debulking for epithelial ovarian cancer." Journal of surgical case reports 2012, no. 7 (January 2012): 7-.
Lowery, WJ, Gehrig, PA, Ko, E, Secord, AA, Chino, J, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Surgical staging for endometrial cancer in the elderly - Is there a role for lymphadenectomy?." Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey 67, no. 11 (2012): 702-703.
Pokrzywinski, R, Secord, AA, Havrilesky, LJ, Puls, LE, Holloway, RW, Lewandowski, GS, Higgins, RV, Nycum, LR, Kohler, MF, and Revicki, DA. "Health-related quality of life outcomes of docetaxel/carboplatin combination therapy vs. sequential therapy with docetaxel then carboplatin in patients with relapsed, platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer: results from a randomized clinical trial." Gynecol Oncol 123, no. 3 (December 2011): 505-510.
Alvarez Secord, A, Darcy, KM, Hutson, A, Huang, Z, Lee, PS, Jewell, EL, Havrilesky, LJ, Markman, M, Muggia, F, and Murphy, SK. "The regulation of MASPIN expression in epithelial ovarian cancer: association with p53 status, and MASPIN promoter methylation: a gynecologic oncology group study." Gynecol Oncol 123, no. 2 (November 2011): 314-319.
Convery, PA, Cantrell, LA, Di Santo, N, Broadwater, G, Modesitt, SC, Secord, AA, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Retrospective review of an intraoperative algorithm to predict lymph node metastasis in low-grade endometrial adenocarcinoma." Gynecol Oncol 123, no. 1 (October 2011): 65-70.
Teoh, D, Berchuck, A, Alvarez Secord, A, Lee, PS, Lowery, WJ, Sfakianos, GP, Valea, FA, Myers, ER, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Cost comparison of strategies for the management of venous thromboembolic event risk following laparotomy for ovarian cancer." Gynecol Oncol 122, no. 3 (September 2011): 467-472.