Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Bae-Jump, V, Ayeni, T, Calingaert, B, Clarke-Pearson, DL, Berchuck, A, and Gehrig, PA. "Outcomes in surgical stage I uterine papillary serous carcinoma." Gynecol Oncol 105, no. 3 (June 2007): 677-682.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Berchuck, A, Lancaster, JM, Iversen, ES, Luo, J, Levine, DA, Boyd, J, Secord, AA, Marks, JR, Nevins, JR, and Dressman, H. "Most early-stage serous ovarian cancers have gene expression profiles predictive of long-term survival." March 2007.
Secord, AA, Blessing, JA, Armstrong, D, III, BMN, Lewandowski, G, and Mannel, RS. "Phase II study of cetuximab in combination with carboplatin in patients with relapsed platinum-sensitive ovarian or primary peritoneal carcinoma and evaluation of epidermal growth factor receptor immunohistochemical expression: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study." March 2007.
Alvarez Secord, A, Gehrig, PA, Havrilesky, LJ, Bae-Jump, V, Chin, J, Calingaert, B, Bland, A, Rutledge, T, Berchuck, A, and Clarke-Pearson, DL. "The role of multimodality adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation in women with advanced-stage endometrial cancer." GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY 104, no. 3 (March 2007): S6-S6.
Havrilesky, LJ, Cragun, JM, Calingaert, B, Alvarez Secord, A, Valea, FA, Clarke-Pearson, DL, Berchuck, A, and Soper, JT. "The prognostic significance of positive peritoneal cytology and adnexal/serosal metastasis in stage IIIA endometrial cancer." Gynecol Oncol 104, no. 2 (February 2007): 401-405.
Secord, AA, Havrilesky, LJ, Carney, ME, Soper, JT, Clarke-Pearson, DL, Rodriguez, GC, and Berchuck, A. "Weekly low-dose paclitaxel and carboplatin in the treatment of advanced or recurrent cervical and endometrial cancer." Int J Clin Oncol 12, no. 1 (February 2007): 31-36.
Soper, JT, Secord, AA, Havrilesky, LJ, Berchuck, A, and Clarke-Pearson, DL. "Comparison of gracilis and rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap neovaginal reconstruction performed during radical pelvic surgery: flap-specific morbidity." Int J Gynecol Cancer 17, no. 1 (January 2007): 298-303.
Lutman, CV, Havrilesky, LJ, Cragun, JM, Secord, AA, Calingaert, B, Berchuck, A, Clarke-Pearson, DL, and Soper, JT. "Pelvic lymph node count is an important prognostic variable for FIGO stage I and II endometrial carcinoma with high-risk histology." Gynecol Oncol 102, no. 1 (July 2006): 92-97.
Secord, AA, Havrilesky, LJ, Higgins, RV, Nycum, LR, Kohler, MF, Puls, LE, Holloway, R, Soper, JT, Valea, FA, and Berchuck, A. "A comparison of combination docetaxel/carboplatin versus sequential docetaxel then carboplatin in patients with recurrent platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer." June 20, 2006.
Gynecologic Oncology Group, , Secord, AA, Lee, PS, Darcy, KM, Havrilesky, LJ, Grace, LA, Marks, JR, and Berchuck, A. "Maspin expression in epithelial ovarian cancer and associations with poor prognosis: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study." Gynecol Oncol 101, no. 3 (June 2006): 390-397.