Miller, BE, Blessing, JA, Stehman, FB, Shahin, MS, Yamada, SD, Secord, AA, Warshal, DP, Abulafia, O, Richards, WE, and Van Le, L. "A phase II evaluation of weekly gemcitabine and docetaxel for second-line treatment of recurrent carcinosarcoma of the uterus: a gynecologic oncology group study." Gynecol Oncol 118, no. 2 (August 1, 2010): 139-144.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3016 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Bernardini, MQ, Baba, T, Lee, PS, Barnett, JC, Sfakianos, GP, Secord, AA, Murphy, SK, Iversen, E, Marks, JR, and Berchuck, A. "Expression signatures of TP53 mutations in serous ovarian cancers." Bmc Cancer 10 (May 26, 2010): 237-null.
Gray, HJ, Secord, AA, Anderson, ML, DelPriore, G, Tchabo, NE, and Berek, JS. "A randomized, open-label phase IIb study of maintenence therapy with a MUC-1 dendritic cell vaccine in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer in first or second remission." May 20, 2010.
Zighelboim, I, Wright, JD, Powell, MA, Case, AS, Eisenhauer, EL, Cohn, DE, Valea, FA, Secord, AA, Lippmann, LT, and Rader, JS. "Phase II trial of topotecan, cisplatin, and bevacizumab for recurrent or persistent cervical cancer." Journal of Clinical Oncology 28, no. 15_suppl (May 20, 2010): TPS252-TPS252.
Lee, PS, Teaberry, VS, Bland, AE, Huang, Z, Whitaker, RS, Baba, T, Fujii, S, Secord, AA, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "Elevated MAL expression is accompanied by promoter hypomethylation and platinum resistance in epithelial ovarian cancer." Int J Cancer 126, no. 6 (March 15, 2010): 1378-1389.
Rasool, N, Fader, AN, Seamon, L, Neubauer, NL, Shahin, FA, Alexander, HA, Moore, K, Moxley, K, Secord, AA, Kunos, C, Rose, PG, and O'Malley, DM. "Stage I, grade 3 endometrioid adenocarcinoma of the endometrium: an analysis of clinical outcomes and patterns of recurrence." Gynecol Oncol 116, no. 1 (January 2010): 10-14.
Jewell, EL, Darcy, KM, Hutson, A, Lee, PS, Havrilesky, LJ, Grace, LA, Berchuck, A, and Secord, AA. "Association between the N-terminally truncated (DeltaN) p63alpha (DeltaNp63alpha) isoform and debulking status, VEGF expression and progression-free survival in previously untreated, advanced stage epithelial ovarian cancer: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study." Gynecologic Oncology 115, no. 3 (December 2009): 424-429.
Fiorica, JV, Blessing, JA, Puneky, LV, Secord, AA, Hoffman, JS, Yamada, SD, Buekers, TE, Bell, J, Schilder, JM, and Gynecologic Oncology Group, . "A Phase II evaluation of weekly topotecan as a single agent second line therapy in persistent or recurrent carcinoma of the cervix: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study." Gynecol Oncol 115, no. 2 (November 2009): 285-289.
Fader, AN, Starks, D, Gehrig, PA, Secord, AA, Frasure, HE, O'Malley, DM, Tuller, ER, Rose, PG, Havrilesky, LJ, Moore, KN, Huh, WK, Axtell, AE, Kelley, JL, Zanotti, KM, and UPSC Consortium, . "An updated clinicopathologic study of early-stage uterine papillary serous carcinoma (UPSC)." Gynecol Oncol 115, no. 2 (November 2009): 244-248.
Sinnathamby, G, Lauer, P, Zerfass, J, Hanson, B, Karabudak, A, Krakover, J, Secord, AA, Clay, TM, Morse, MA, Dubensky, TW, Brockstedt, DG, Philip, R, and Giedlin, M. "Priming and activation of human ovarian and breast cancer-specific CD8+ T cells by polyvalent Listeria monocytogenes-based vaccines." J Immunother 32, no. 8 (October 2009): 856-869.