Lee, PS, Bland, A, Valea, FA, Havrilesky, LJ, Berchuck, A, and Secord, AA. "Robotic-assisted laparoscopic gynecologic procedures in a fellowship training program." Jsls : Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons 13, no. 4 (October 2009): 467-472.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3016 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Secord, AA, Havrilesky, LJ, O'Malley, DM, Bae-Jump, V, Fleming, ND, Broadwater, G, Cohn, DE, and Gehrig, PA. "A multicenter evaluation of sequential multimodality therapy and clinical outcome for the treatment of advanced endometrial cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 114, no. 3 (September 2009): 442-447.
Fleming, ND, Alvarez-Secord, A, Von Gruenigen, V, Miller, MJ, and Abernethy, AP. "Indwelling catheters for the management of refractory malignant ascites: a systematic literature overview and retrospective chart review." Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 38, no. 3 (September 2009): 341-349. (Review)
Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, O'Malley, DM, Broadwater, G, Bae-Jump, V, Cohn, DE, and Gehrig, PA. "Multicenter analysis of recurrence and survival in stage IIIA endometrial cancer." Gynecol Oncol 114, no. 2 (August 2009): 279-283.
Cantrell, LA, Havrilesky, L, O'Malley, D, Liotta, M, Secord, AA, Nagel, C, Fader, AN, Wallace, A, Rose, P, and Gehrig, PA. "Effect of treatment of patients with early-stage uterine carcinosarcoma." May 20, 2009.
O'Malley, DM, Nagel, C, Cantrell, LA, Havrilesky, L, Liotta, M, Secord, AA, Nickles, A, Cohn, DE, Wallace, A, Rose, P, and Gehrig, P. "Improved outcomes in advanced stage uterine carcinosarcoma (mixed mullerian tumor [MMT])." May 20, 2009.
Cantrell, LA, Havrilesky, L, O'Malley, D, Liotta, M, Secord, AA, Nagel, C, Fader, AN, Wallace, A, Rose, P, and Gehrig, PA. "Effect of treatment of patients with early-stage uterine carcinosarcoma." Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 27, no. 15_suppl (May 2009): 5516-.
Greer, BE, Koh, W-J, Abu-Rustum, N, Bookman, MA, Bristow, RE, Campos, SM, Cho, KR, Copeland, L, Crispens, MA, Eifel, PJ, Huh, WK, Jaggernauth, W, Kapp, DS, Kavanagh, JJ, III, LJR, Morgan, M, Jr, MRJ, Powell, CB, Remmenga, SW, Reynolds, RK, Secord, AA, Jr, SW, and Teng, N. "Uterine Neoplasms Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology." JOURNAL OF THE NATIONAL COMPREHENSIVE CANCER NETWORK 7, no. 5 (May 2009): 496-531.
Greer, BE, Koh, W-J, Abu-Rustum, N, Bookman, MA, Bristow, RE, Campos, SM, Cho, KR, Copeland, L, Crispens, MA, Eifel, PJ, Huh, WK, Jaggernauth, W, Kapp, DS, Kavanagh, JJ, Lurain, JR, Morgan, M, Morgan, RJ, Powell, CB, Remmenga, SW, Reynolds, RK, Alvarez Secord, A, Small, W, and Teng, N. "Uterine Neoplasms. Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology." Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : Jnccn 7, no. 5 (May 2009): 498-531. (Review)
Alvarez Secord, A, Bae-Jump, V, Havrilesky, LJ, Calingaert, B, Clarke-Pearson, DL, Soper, JT, and Gehrig, PA. "Attitudes regarding the use of hematopoietic colony-stimulating factors and maintenance of relative dose intensity among gynecologic oncologists." International Journal of Gynecological Cancer : Official Journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society 19, no. 3 (April 2009): 447-454.