Greer, BE, Koh, W-J, Abu-Rustum, N, Bookman, MA, Bristow, RE, Campos, SM, Cho, KR, Copeland, L, Crispens, MA, Eifel, PJ, Huh, WK, Jaggernauth, W, Kapp, DS, Kavanagh, JJ, III, LJR, Morgan, M, Jr, MRJ, Powell, CB, Remmenga, SW, Reynolds, RK, Secord, AA, Jr, SW, and Teng, N. "Uterine Neoplasms Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology." JOURNAL OF THE NATIONAL COMPREHENSIVE CANCER NETWORK 7, no. 5 (May 2009): 496-531.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Greer, BE, Koh, W-J, Abu-Rustum, N, Bookman, MA, Bristow, RE, Campos, SM, Cho, KR, Copeland, L, Crispens, MA, Eifel, PJ, Huh, WK, Jaggernauth, W, Kapp, DS, Kavanagh, JJ, Lurain, JR, Morgan, M, Morgan, RJ, Powell, CB, Remmenga, SW, Reynolds, RK, Alvarez Secord, A, Small, W, and Teng, N. "Uterine Neoplasms. Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology." Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : Jnccn 7, no. 5 (May 2009): 498-531. (Review)
Alvarez Secord, A, Bae-Jump, V, Havrilesky, LJ, Calingaert, B, Clarke-Pearson, DL, Soper, JT, and Gehrig, PA. "Attitudes regarding the use of hematopoietic colony-stimulating factors and maintenance of relative dose intensity among gynecologic oncologists." Int J Gynecol Cancer 19, no. 3 (April 2009): 447-454.
Berchuck, A, Iversen, ES, Luo, J, Clarke, JP, Horne, H, Levine, DA, Boyd, J, Alonso, MA, Secord, AA, Bernardini, MQ, Barnett, JC, Boren, T, Murphy, SK, Dressman, HK, Marks, JR, and Lancaster, JM. "Microarray analysis of early stage serous ovarian cancers shows profiles predictive of favorable outcome." Clinical Cancer Research : an Official Journal of the American Association for Cancer Research 15, no. 7 (April 2009): 2448-2455.
Rubatt, JM, Darcy, KM, Hutson, A, Bean, SM, Havrilesky, LJ, Grace, LA, Berchuck, A, and Secord, AA. "Independent prognostic relevance of microvessel density in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer and associations between CD31, CD105, p53 status, and angiogenic marker expression: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study." Gynecol Oncol 112, no. 3 (March 2009): 469-474.
Fader, AN, Nagel, C, Axtell, AE, Zanotti, KM, Kelley, JL, Moore, KN, Secord, AA, Walsh, CS, Huh, WK, Gehrig, PA, Gibbons, H, Rose, PG, Havrilesky, LJ, Tuller, E, Drake, RD, Bottsford-Miller, J, O'Malley, DM, and UPSC Consortium, . "Stage II uterine papillary serous carcinoma: Carboplatin/paclitaxel chemotherapy improves recurrence and survival outcomes." Gynecol Oncol 112, no. 3 (March 2009): 558-562.
Neubauer, NL, Havrilesky, LJ, Calingaert, B, Bulusu, A, Bernardini, MQ, Fleming, ND, Bland, AE, and Secord, AA. "The role of lymphadenectomy in the management of preoperative grade 1 endometrial carcinoma." Gynecol Oncol 112, no. 3 (March 2009): 511-516.
Secord, AA, Havrilesky, LJ, O'Malley, DM, Bae-Jump, V, Fleming, ND, Broadwater, G, Cohn, DE, and Gehrig, PA. "A multicenter evaluation of sequential multimodality therapy and clinical outcome for the treatment of advanced endometrial cancer." February 2009.
Fader, AN, Starks, D, Rose, PG, Tuller, ER, Gibbons, H, Gehrig, PA, Huh, WK, Havrilesky, LJ, Moore, KN, Axtell, AE, Secord, AA, Kelley, JL, O'Malley, DM, Walsh, C, Drake, RD, Bottsford-Miller, J, and Zanotti, KM. "Early-stage uterine papillary serous carcinoma (UPSC): percentage UPSC, lymphvascular invasion and tumor size are not independent predictors of recurrence." February 2009.
Shafer, A, Ayeni, TA, Deal, AM, Secord, AA, Soper, JT, Havrilesky, LJ, Van Le, L, and Gehrig, PA. "Improved survival with consolidation chemotherapy after adjuvant paclitaxel and carboplatin in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer." February 2009.