Jewell, E, Secord, AA, Brotherton, T, and Berchuck, A. "Use of trastuzumab in the treatment of metastatic endometrial cancer." Int J Gynecol Cancer 16, no. 3 (May 2006): 1370-1373.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Quadra Study
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Jones, E, Alvarez Secord, A, Prosnitz, LR, Samulski, TV, Oleson, JR, Berchuck, A, Clarke-Pearson, D, Soper, J, Dewhirst, MW, and Vujaskovic, Z. "Intra-peritoneal cisplatin and whole abdomen hyperthermia for relapsed ovarian carcinoma." Int J Hyperthermia 22, no. 2 (March 2006): 161-172.
Jones, EL, Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Clarke-Pearson, DL, Soper, JT, Valea, F, Coleman, RE, and Wong, TZ. "Combined PET/DCT for evaluation of newly diagnosed endometrial cancer: Implications for radiation therapy." 2006.
Secord, AA, and Berchuck, A. "Targeted bio weapons in the war against gynecologic cancers." Contemporary Ob/Gyn 51, no. 10 (2006): 48-54.
Rabbani, ZN, Kirkpatrick, JP, Salahuddin, FK, Bentley, RC, Secord, AA, Greenberg, CS, Havrilesky, LJ, Vujaskovic, Z, Jones, E, and Dewhirst, MW. "Tissue transglutaminase expression in early-stage cervical cancer." 2006.
Havrilesky, LJ, Cragun, JM, Calingaert, B, Synan, I, Secord, AA, Soper, JT, Clarke-Pearson, DL, and Berchuck, A. "Resection of lymph node metastases influences survival in stage IIIC endometrial cancer." Gynecol Oncol 99, no. 3 (December 2005): 689-695.
Mutch, D, Orlando, M, Teneriello, T, Gordon, A, McMeekin, S, Goss, T, Scribner, D, Naumann, R, Secord, AA, and Wang, Y. "Randomized phase III trial of gemcitabine (GEM) versus pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLDOX) for patients (pts.) with platinum-resistant (pt-r) ovarian cancer (oc) undergoing second or third-line chemotherapy (ct)." October 2005.
Alvarez Secord, A, Jones, EL, Hahn, CA, Petros, WP, Yu, D, Havrilesky, LJ, Soper, JT, Berchuck, A, Spasojevic, I, Clarke-Pearson, DL, Prosnitz, LR, and Dewhirst, MW. "Phase I/II trial of intravenous Doxil and whole abdomen hyperthermia in patients with refractory ovarian cancer." Int J Hyperthermia 21, no. 4 (June 2005): 333-347.
Hahn, CA, Jones, EL, Blivin, JL, Sanders, LL, Yu, D, Dewhirst, MW, Secord, AA, and Prosnitz, LR. "Prospective assessment of quality of life in ovarian cancer patients receiving whole abdomen hyperthermia and liposomal doxorubicin." Int J Hyperthermia 21, no. 4 (June 2005): 349-357.
Cragun, JM, Havrilesky, LJ, Calingaert, B, Synan, I, Secord, AA, Soper, JT, Clarke-Pearson, DL, and Berchuck, A. "Retrospective analysis of selective lymphadenectomy in apparent early-stage endometrial cancer." J Clin Oncol 23, no. 16 (June 1, 2005): 3668-3675.