Bland, AE, Shah, AA, Piscitelli, JT, Bentley, RC, and Secord, AA. "Desmoplastic small round cell tumor masquerading as advanced ovarian cancer." Int J Gynecol Cancer 18, no. 4 (July 2008): 847-850.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Wright, JD, Secord, AA, Numnum, TM, Rocconi, RP, Powell, MA, Berchuck, A, Alvarez, RD, Gibb, RK, Trinkaus, K, Rader, JS, and Mutch, DG. "A multi-institutional evaluation of factors predictive of toxicity and efficacy of bevacizumab for recurrent ovarian cancer." International Journal of Gynecological Cancer : Official Journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society 18, no. 3 (May 2008): 400-406.
Lee, PS, Teaberry, V, Bland, AE, Huang, Z, Secord, AA, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "MAL, a gene associated with survival in epithelial ovarian cancer, is epigenetically regulated." March 2008.
Secord, AA, Blessing, JA, Armstrong, DK, Rodgers, WH, Miner, Z, Barnes, MN, Lewandowski, G, Mannel, RS, and Gynecologic Oncology Group, . "Phase II trial of cetuximab and carboplatin in relapsed platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer and evaluation of epidermal growth factor receptor expression: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study." Gynecologic Oncology 108, no. 3 (March 2008): 493-499.
Rubatt, JM, Darcy, KM, Hutson, A, Bean, SM, Havrilesky, LJ, Lee, PS, Grace, LA, Berchuck, A, and Secord, AA. "Prognostic relevance of microvessel density in previously untreated, advanced-stage epithelial ovarian cancer and associations between CD31, CD105, p53 status, and angiogenic marker expression: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study." March 2008.
Rubatt, JM, Secord, AA, Iversen, E, Grace, L, Soper, W, and Berchuck, A. "Regulation of angiogenic gene expression in p53 wild type and mutant ovarian cancer cells by hypoxia and radiation." GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY 108, no. 3 (March 2008): S84-S84.
Shafer, A, Rubatt, JM, Ayeni, T, Deal, AM, Secord, AA, Soper, JT, Havrilesky, LJ, Van Le, L, and Gehring, PA. "Surgical cytoreduction and dose intensity of adjuvant paclitaxel and carboplatin chemotherapy in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer." March 2008.
Kirkpatrick, JP, Rabbani, ZN, Bentley, RC, Hardee, ME, Karol, S, Meyer, J, Oosterwijk, E, Havrilesky, L, Secord, AA, Vujaskovic, Z, Dewhirst, MW, and Jones, EL. "Elevated CAIX Expression is Associated with an Increased Risk of Distant Failure in Early-Stage Cervical Cancer. (Published online)" Biomark Insights 3 (February 1, 2008): 45-55.
Greer, BE, Koh, W-J, Abu-Rustum, N, Bookman, MA, Bristow, RE, Campos, S, Cho, KR, Copeland, L, Eifel, P, Huh, WK, Jaggernauth, W, Kapp, DS, Kavanagh, J, Lipscomb, GH, Lurain, JR, Morgan, M, Morgan, RJ, Powell, CB, Remmenga, SW, Reynolds, RK, Secord, AA, Small, W, Teng, N, and National Comprehensive Cancer Network, . "Cervical cancer." J Natl Compr Canc Netw 6, no. 1 (January 2008): 14-36.
Jewell, EL, Kulasingam, S, Myers, ER, Alvarez Secord, A, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Primary surgery versus chemoradiation in the treatment of IB2 cervical carcinoma: a cost effectiveness analysis." Gynecol Oncol 107, no. 3 (December 2007): 532-540.