Resnick, KE, Alder, H, Secord, AA, Whitaker, R, Richardson, DL, Heaphy, C, Murphy, SK, Baba, T, Croce, C, and Colin, DE. "MiRNA patterns in ovarian cancer cell lines: Correlation with serum studies." GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY 112, no. 2 (February 2009): S115-S116.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- SGNTV-002: Open Label Phase 2 Study of Tisotumab Vedotin for Patients with Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Cancer with a Safety Run-in of a Dose-Dense Regimen
- A Multicenter, Open-label, Randomized, Phase 3 Trial to Compare the Efficacy and Safety of Lenvatinib in Combination with Pembrolizumab Versus Treatment of Physician¿s Choice in Participants with Adva
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- GOG 3025: DUO-O
- GOG 3020: ATHENA
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3016 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, O'Malley, DM, Bae-Jump, V, Broadwater, G, Tatagari, J, Hamamci, N, and Gehrig, PA. "Multicenter analysis of recurrence and survival in stage IIIA endometrial cancer." February 2009.
Secord, AA, Neubauer, N, Havrilesky, LJ, Calingaert, B, Bernardini, M, Bland, A, and Fleming, N. "The role of lymphadenectomy in the management of preoperative grade 1 endometrial carcinoma." February 2009.
Bland, AE, Calingaert, B, Secord, AA, Lee, PS, Valea, FA, Berchuck, A, Soper, JT, and Havrilesky, L. "Relationship between tamoxifen use and high risk endometrial cancer histologic types." Gynecol Oncol 112, no. 1 (January 2009): 150-154.
Sabbatini, P, Sill, MW, O'Malley, D, Adler, L, Secord, AA, and Gynecologic Oncology Group Study, . "A phase II trial of paclitaxel poliglumex in recurrent or persistent ovarian or primary peritoneal cancer (EOC): a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study." Gynecol Oncol 111, no. 3 (December 2008): 455-460.
Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Darcy, KM, Armstrong, DK, Kulasingam, S, and Gynecologic Oncology Group, . "Cost effectiveness of intraperitoneal compared with intravenous chemotherapy for women with optimally resected stage III ovarian cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study." Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 26, no. 25 (September 2008): 4144-4150.
Lee, PS, Bakelaar, R, Fitpatrick, CB, Ellestad, SC, Havrilesky, LJ, and Alvarez Secord, A. "Medical and surgical treatment of placenta percreta to optimize bladder preservation." Obstet Gynecol 112, no. 2 Pt 2 (August 2008): 421-424.
Bland, AE, Shah, AA, Piscitelli, JT, Bentley, RC, and Secord, AA. "Desmoplastic small round cell tumor masquerading as advanced ovarian cancer." International Journal of Gynecological Cancer : Official Journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society 18, no. 4 (July 2008): 847-850.
Wright, JD, Secord, AA, Numnum, TM, Rocconi, RP, Powell, MA, Berchuck, A, Alvarez, RD, Gibb, RK, Trinkaus, K, Rader, JS, and Mutch, DG. "A multi-institutional evaluation of factors predictive of toxicity and efficacy of bevacizumab for recurrent ovarian cancer." International Journal of Gynecological Cancer : Official Journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society 18, no. 3 (May 2008): 400-406.
Lee, PS, Teaberry, V, Bland, AE, Huang, Z, Secord, AA, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "MAL, a gene associated with survival in epithelial ovarian cancer, is epigenetically regulated." March 2008.