Havrilesky, LJ, Leath, CA, Huh, W, Calingaert, B, Bentley, RC, Soper, JT, and Alvarez Secord, A. "Radical hysterectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy for stage IB2 cervical cancer." Gynecol Oncol 93, no. 2 (May 2004): 429-434.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Quadra Study
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Roth, TM, Secord, AA, Havrilesky, LJ, Jones, E, and Clarke-Pearson, DL. "High dose rate intraoperative radiotherapy for recurrent cervical cancer and nodal disease." Gynecol Oncol 91, no. 1 (October 2003): 258-260.
Jones, EL, Samulski, TV, Dewhirst, MW, Alvarez-Secord, A, Berchuck, A, Clarke-Pearson, D, Havrilesky, LJ, Soper, J, and Prosnitz, LR. "A pilot Phase II trial of concurrent radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and hyperthermia for locally advanced cervical carcinoma." Cancer 98, no. 2 (July 15, 2003): 277-282.
Havrilesky, LJ, Wong, TZ, Secord, AA, Berchuck, A, Clarke-Pearson, DL, and Jones, EL. "The role of PET scanning in the detection of recurrent cervical cancer." Gynecol Oncol 90, no. 1 (July 2003): 186-190.
Berchuck, A, Alvarez, AA, and Stout, JE. "Abdominal pain and bloating in two 20-something patients." Contemporary Ob/Gyn 48, no. 1 (2003): 51-58.
Alvarez, AA, and Clarke-Pearson, DL. "Platinum-Resistant and Refractory Ovarian Cancer." American Journal of Cancer 2, no. 1 (2003): 1-13.
Havrilesky, LJ, Alvarez, AA, Sayer, RA, Lancaster, JM, Soper, JT, Berchuck, A, Clarke-Pearson, DL, Rodriguez, GC, and Carney, ME. "Weekly low-dose carboplatin and paclitaxel in the treatment of recurrent ovarian and peritoneal cancer." Gynecologic oncology 88, no. 1 (January 2003): 51-57.
Havrilesky, LJ, Alvarez, AA, Whitaker, RS, Marks, JR, and Berchuck, A. "Loss of expression of the p16 tumor suppressor gene is more frequent in advanced ovarian cancers lacking p53 mutations." Gynecologic oncology 83, no. 3 (December 2001): 491-500.
Stout, JE, Woods, CW, Alvarez, AA, Berchuck, A, and Dukes Hamilton, C. "Mycobacterium bovis peritonitis mimicking ovarian cancer in a young woman." Clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America 33, no. 4 (August 2001): E14-E16.
Alvarez, AA, Axelrod, JR, Whitaker, RS, Isner, PD, Bentley, RC, Dodge, RK, and Rodriguez, GC. "Thrombospondin-1 expression in epithelial ovarian carcinoma: association with p53 status, tumor angiogenesis, and survival in platinum-treated patients." Gynecologic oncology 82, no. 2 (August 2001): 273-278.