Alvarez, AA, Lambers, AR, Lancaster, JM, Maxwell, GL, Ali, S, Gumbs, C, Berchuck, A, and Futreal, PA. "Allele loss on chromosome 1p36 in epithelial ovarian cancers." Gynecologic oncology 82, no. 1 (July 2001): 94-98.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Quadra Study
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Maxwell, GL, Risinger, JI, Alvarez, AA, Barrett, JC, and Berchuck, A. "Favorable survival associated with microsatellite instability in endometrioid endometrial cancers." Obstet Gynecol 97, no. 3 (March 2001): 417-422.
Alvarez, AA, Maxwell, GL, and Rodriguez, GC. "Vacuum-assisted closure for cutaneous gastrointestinal fistula management." Gynecologic oncology 80, no. 3 (March 2001): 413-416.
Alvarez, AA, Moore, WF, Robboy, SJ, Bentley, RC, Gumbs, C, Futreal, PA, and Berchuck, A. "K-ras mutations in Müllerian inclusion cysts associated with serous borderline tumors of the ovary." Gynecol Oncol 80, no. 2 (February 2001): 201-206.
Maxwell, GL, Risinger, JI, Hayes, KA, Alvarez, AA, Dodge, RK, Barrett, JC, and Berchuck, A. "Racial disparity in the frequency of PTEN mutations, but not microsatellite instability, in advanced endometrial cancers." Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research 6, no. 8 (August 2000): 2999-3005.
Berchuck, A, Alvarez, A, and Futreal, PA. "Prognosis of BRCA1 and 2-associated ovarian cancers." CME Journal of Gynecologic Oncology 4, no. 1 (December 1, 1999): 108-111. (Review)
Alvarez, AA, Krigman, HR, Whitaker, RS, Dodge, RK, and Rodriguez, GC. "The prognostic significance of angiogenesis in epithelial ovarian carcinoma." Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research 5, no. 3 (March 1999): 587-591.
Maxwell, , Risinger, , Shaw, , Alvarez, , Barrett, , Futreal, , and Berchuck, . "Mutations in the PTEN tumor suppressor gene in cervical carcinomas." International Journal of Gynecological Cancer 8, no. 6 (November 1998): 489-493.