Berchuck, A., A. A. Secord, L. J. Havrilesky, R. Wenham, J. T. Soper, and D. L. Clarke-Pearson. “Phase I/II trial of combination topotecan and vinorelbine in patients with refractory gynecologic cancer..” In Journal of Clinical Oncology, 22:487S-487S. AMER SOC CLINICAL ONCOLOGY, 2004.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network (UG1)
- SGNTV-002: Open Label Phase 2 Study of Tisotumab Vedotin for Patients with Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Cancer with a Safety Run-in of a Dose-Dense Regimen
- A Multicenter, Open-label, Randomized, Phase 3 Trial to Compare the Efficacy and Safety of Lenvatinib in Combination with Pembrolizumab Versus Treatment of Physician¿s Choice in Participants with Adva
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- GOG 3018: OVAL
- GOG 3025: DUO-O
- GOG 3020: ATHENA
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- Quadra Study
- TESARO LUNG AND ENDOMETRIAL CANCER PRACTICUM
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3016 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Secord, A. A., E. Jones, C. A. Hahn, L. J. Havrilesky, J. T. Soper, A. Berchuck, D. L. Clarke-Pearson, and L. R. Prosnitz. “Phase I/II trial of intravenous liposomal doxorubicin and whole abdomen hyperthermia in patients with refractory ovarian cancer..” In Journal of Clinical Oncology, 22:471S-471S. AMER SOC CLINICAL ONCOLOGY, 2004.
Berchuck, A., A. A. Secord, L. J. Havrilesky, R. Wenham, J. T. Soper, and D. L. Clarke-Pearson. “Phase I/II trial of combination topotecan and vinorelbine in patients with refractory gynecologic cancer..” Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 22, no. 14_suppl (July 2004).
Secord, A. A., E. Jones, C. A. Hahn, L. J. Havrilesky, J. T. Soper, A. Berchuck, D. L. Clarke-Pearson, L. R. Prosnitz, and M. W. Dewhirst. “Phase I/II trial of intravenous liposomal doxorubicin and whole abdomen hyperthermia in patients with refractory ovarian cancer..” Journal of Clinical Oncology : Official Journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 22, no. 14_suppl (July 2004).
Alvarez Secord, Angeles, Robyn Sayer, Stacey A. Snyder, Gloria Broadwater, Gustavo C. Rodriguez, Andrew Berchuck, and Kimberly Blackwell. “The relationship between serum vascular endothelial growth factor, persistent disease, and survival at second-look laparotomy in ovarian cancer..” Gynecologic Oncology 94, no. 1 (July 2004): 74–79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2004.03.043.
Havrilesky, Laura J., Charles A. Leath, Warner Huh, Brian Calingaert, Rex C. Bentley, John T. Soper, and Angeles Alvarez Secord. “Radical hysterectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy for stage IB2 cervical cancer..” Gynecol Oncol 93, no. 2 (May 2004): 429–34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2004.01.038.
Berchuck, A., A. A. Alvarez, and J. E. Stout. “Abdominal pain and bloating in two 20-something patients.” Contemporary Ob/Gyn 48, no. 1 (December 1, 2003): 51–58.
Roth, Ted M., Angeles Alvarez Secord, Laura J. Havrilesky, Ellen Jones, and Daniel L. Clarke-Pearson. “High dose rate intraoperative radiotherapy for recurrent cervical cancer and nodal disease..” Gynecologic Oncology 91, no. 1 (October 2003): 258–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0090-8258(03)00443-8.