Fox, KA, Shamshirsaz, AA, Carusi, D, Secord, AA, Lee, P, Turan, OM, Huls, C, Abuhamad, A, Simhan, H, Barton, J, Wright, J, Silver, R, and Belfort, MA. "Conservative management of morbidly adherent placenta: expert review." American journal of obstetrics and gynecology 213, no. 6 (December 2015): 755-760. (Review)
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- Quadra Study
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 4)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Dickson, EL, Vogel, RI, Gehrig, PA, Pierce, S, Havrilesky, L, Secord, AA, Dottino, J, Fader, AN, Ricci, S, and Geller, MA. "A multi-institutional study of outcomes in stage I-III uterine carcinosarcoma." Gynecologic oncology 139, no. 2 (November 2015): 275-282.
Siamakpour-Reihani, S, Owzar, K, Jiang, C, Turner, T, Deng, Y, Bean, SM, Horton, JK, Berchuck, A, Marks, JR, Dewhirst, MW, and Alvarez Secord, A. "Prognostic significance of differential expression of angiogenic genes in women with high-grade serous ovarian carcinoma." Gynecologic oncology 139, no. 1 (October 2015): 23-29.
Previs, R, III, LCA, Coleman, RL, Herzog, TJ, Krivak, TC, Brower, SL, Tian, C, and Secord, AA. "Evaluation of in vitro chemoresponse profiles in women with Type I and Type II epithelial ovarian cancers: An observational study ancillary analysis." GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY 138, no. 2 (August 2015): 267-271.
Previs, R, Leath, CA, Coleman, RL, Herzog, TJ, Krivak, TC, Brower, SL, Tian, C, and Secord, AA. "Evaluation of in vitro chemoresponse profiles in women with Type I and Type II epithelial ovarian cancers: An observational study ancillary analysis." Gynecologic oncology 138, no. 2 (August 2015): 267-271.
Zhang, C, Roque, D, Ehrisman, JA, DiSanto, N, Broadwater, G, Doll, KM, Gehrig, PA, Secord, AA, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Lumbee Native American ancestry and the incidence of aggressive histologic subtypes of endometrial cancer." Gynecologic oncology reports 13 (August 2015): 49-52.
Secord, AA, Coleman, RL, Havrilesky, LJ, Abernethy, AP, Samsa, GP, and Cella, D. "Patient-reported outcomes as end points and outcome indicators in solid tumours." Nature reviews. Clinical oncology 12, no. 6 (June 2015): 358-370. (Review)
Kushnir, CL, Angarita, AM, Havrilesky, LJ, Thompson, S, Spahlinger, D, Sinno, AK, Tanner, EJ, Secord, AA, Roche, KL, Stone, RL, and Fader, AN. "Selective cardiac surveillance in patients with gynecologic cancer undergoing treatment with pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD)." Gynecologic oncology 137, no. 3 (June 2015): 503-507.
Aghajanian, C, Filiaci, VL, Dizon, DS, Carlson, J, Powell, MA, Secord, AA, Tewari, KS, Bender, D, O'Malley, DM, Stuckey, A, Rotmensch, J, Levine, DA, Lankes, HA, and Moore, KN. "A randomized phase II study of paclitaxel/carboplatin/bevacizumab, paclitaxel/carboplatin/temsirolimus and ixabepilone/carboplatin/bevacizumab as initial therapy for measurable stage III or IVA, stage IVB or recurrent endometrial cancer, GOG-86P." May 20, 2015.
Teoh, D, Lowery, WJ, Jiang, X, Ehrisman, J, Halvorson, P, Broadwater, G, Bentley, R, Secord, AA, Sobolewski, C, Berchuck, A, Havrilesky, LJ, Valea, FA, and Lee, PS. "Vaginal Cuff Thermal Injury by Mode of Colpotomy at Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: A Randomized Clinical Trial." JOURNAL OF MINIMALLY INVASIVE GYNECOLOGY 22, no. 2 (February 2015): 227-233.