Secord, AA, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Is Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy Dead?." Obstetrics and Gynecology 127, no. 6 (June 2016): 983-984.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Matulonis, UA, Oza, AM, Secord, AA, Roman, LD, Blagden, SP, Banerjee, SN, Elkas, JC, Nemunaitis, JJ, Ghamande, SA, Fleming, GF, Markham, MJ, Hirte, HW, Provencher, DM, Basu, B, Kristeleit, RS, Naim, S, Hao, Y, Keer, HN, Azab, M, and Matei, D. "Epigenetic resensitization to platinum in recurrent, platinum-resistant ovarian cancer (OC) using guadecitabine (SGI-110), a novel hypomethylating agent (HMA): Results of a randomized phase II study." Annual Meeting of the American-Society-of-Clinical-Oncology (ASCO). Chicago, IL. June 3, 2016 - June 7, 2016.: AMER SOC CLINICAL ONCOLOGY, May 20, 2016.
Foote, J, Liang, M, Secord, AA, Cohn, DE, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Patient preference-weighted assessments using the ASCO value framework in recurrent, platinum sensitive ovarian cancer." May 20, 2016.
Davidson, BA, Squatrito, R, Duska, LR, Havrilesky, LJ, Schwager, N, McCollum, M, Arapovic, S, and Secord, AA. "Phase II evaluation of nintedanib in the treatment of bevacizumab-resistant persistent/recurrent ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal carcinoma." May 20, 2016.
Secord, AA, Tritchler, D, Liu, Y, Starr, MD, Brady, JC, Lankes, HA, Hurwitz, H, Mannel, RS, Tewari, KS, O'Malley, DM, Gray, HJ, Bakkum-Gamez, JN, Fujiwara, K, Boente, M, Deng, W, Burger, RA, Birrer, MJ, and Nixon, AB. "Prognostic and predictive blood-based biomarkers (BMs) in patients (pts) with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) treated with carboplatinpaclitaxel (CP) +/- bevacizumab (BEV). Results from GOG-0218." Annual Meeting of the American-Society-of-Clinical-Oncology (ASCO). Chicago, IL. June 3, 2016 - June 7, 2016.: AMER SOC CLINICAL ONCOLOGY, May 20, 2016.
Ehrisman, JA, Abbott, S, Harmon, Z, Secord, AA, Berchuck, A, Lee, PS, Valea, FA, Broadwater, G, Li, X, Havrilesky, LJ, and Hall, A. "Prospective Evaluation of Lymph Node Processing at Staging Surgery for High-Grade Endometrial Cancer." February 2016.
Davidson, BA, Foote, J, Brower, SL, Tian, C, Havrilesky, LJ, and Secord, AA. "Analysis of in vitro chemoresponse assays in endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinoma: an observational ancillary analysis." Gynecologic oncology research and practice 3 (January 2016): 13-.
Secord, AA, Hasselblad, V, Von Gruenigen, VE, Gehrig, PA, Modesitt, SC, Bae-Jump, V, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Body mass index and mortality in endometrial cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis." Gynecologic Oncology 140, no. 1 (January 2016): 184-190. (Review)
Gray, HJ, Benigno, B, Berek, J, Chang, J, Mason, J, Mileshkin, L, Mitchell, P, Moradi, M, Recio, FO, Michener, CM, Secord, AA, Tchabo, NE, Chan, JK, Young, J, Kohrt, H, Gargosky, SE, and Goh, JC. "Progression-free and overall survival in ovarian cancer patients treated with CVac, a mucin 1 dendritic cell therapy in a randomized phase 2 trial." Journal for Immunotherapy of Cancer 4 (January 2016): 34-null.
Gaillard, SL, Secord, AA, and Monk, B. "The role of immune checkpoint inhibition in the treatment of ovarian cancer." Gynecologic Oncology Research and Practice 3 (January 2016): 11-null. (Review)