Lopez-Acevedo, M, Grace, L, Teoh, D, Whitaker, R, Adams, DJ, Jia, J, Nixon, AB, and Secord, AA. "Dasatinib (BMS-35482) potentiates the activity of gemcitabine and docetaxel in uterine leiomyosarcoma cell lines." Gynecologic oncology research and practice 1 (January 2014): 2-.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Quadra Study
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Davidson, BA, Rubatt, JM, Corcoran, DL, Teoh, DK, Bernardini, MQ, Grace, LA, Soper, WJ, Berchuck, A, Siamakpour-Reihani, S, Chen, W, Owzar, K, Murphy, SK, and Secord, AA. "Differential Angiogenic Gene Expression in TP53 Wild-Type and Mutant Ovarian Cancer Cell Lines." Frontiers in Oncology 4 (January 2014): 163-.
Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Ehrisman, JA, Berchuck, A, Valea, FA, Lee, PS, Gaillard, SL, Samsa, GP, Cella, D, Weinfurt, KP, Abernethy, AP, and Reed, SD. "Patient preferences in advanced or recurrent ovarian cancer." Cancer 120, no. 23 (January 1, 2014): 3651-3659.
Davidson, BA, and Secord, AA. "Profile of pazopanib and its potential in the treatment of epithelial ovarian cancer." International Journal of Women's Health 6 (January 2014): 289-300. (Review)
Herzog, TJ, Alvarez, RD, Secord, A, Goff, BA, Mannel, RS, Monk, BJ, and Coleman, RL. "SGO guidance document for clinical trial designs in ovarian cancer: A changing paradigm." Gynecologic Oncology 135, no. 1 (2014): 3-7.
Lee, PS, and Secord, AA. "Targeting molecular pathways in endometrial cancer: A focus on the FGFR pathway." Cancer Treatment Reviews 40, no. 4 (2014): 507-512.
Ricci, S, Giuntoli, RL, Eisenhauer, E, Lopez, MA, Krill, L, Tanner, EJ, Gehrig, PA, Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Levinson, K, Frasure, H, Celano, P, and Fader, AN. "Does adjuvant chemotherapy improve survival for women with early-stage uterine leiomyosarcoma?." Gynecologic Oncology 131, no. 3 (December 1, 2013): 629-633.
Ricci, S, Giuntoli, RL, Eisenhauer, E, Lopez, MA, Krill, L, Tanner, EJ, Gehrig, PA, Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Levinson, K, Frasure, H, Celano, P, and Fader, AN. "Does adjuvant chemotherapy improve survival for women with early-stage uterine leiomyosarcoma?." Gynecol Oncol 131, no. 3 (December 2013): 629-633.
Barnett, JC, Alvarez Secord, A, Cohn, DE, Leath, CA, Myers, ER, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Cost effectiveness of alternative strategies for incorporating bevacizumab into the primary treatment of ovarian cancer." Cancer 119, no. 20 (October 15, 2013): 3653-3661.
Krivak, T, Secord, AA, Richard, S, III, LC, Moore, R, Coleman, R, Fiorica, J, Barter, J, Downey, G, Tian, C, and Lele, S. "A chemoresponse assay for prediction of platinum resistance in primary ovarian cancer." GYNECOLOGIC ONCOLOGY 131, no. 1 (October 2013): 276-276.