Davidson, Brittany Anne, Robert Squatrito, Linda R. Duska, Laura Jean Havrilesky, Nyssa Schwager, Michael McCollum, Sanja Arapovic, and Angeles Alvarez Secord. “Phase II evaluation of nintedanib in the treatment of bevacizumab-resistant persistent/recurrent ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal carcinoma..” In Journal of Clinical Oncology, 34:TPS5601–TPS5601. American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), 2016. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2016.34.15_suppl.tps5601.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network (UG1)
- SGNTV-002: Open Label Phase 2 Study of Tisotumab Vedotin for Patients with Platinum-Resistant Ovarian Cancer with a Safety Run-in of a Dose-Dense Regimen
- A Multicenter, Open-label, Randomized, Phase 3 Trial to Compare the Efficacy and Safety of Lenvatinib in Combination with Pembrolizumab Versus Treatment of Physician¿s Choice in Participants with Adva
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- GOG 3018: OVAL
- GOG 3025: DUO-O
- GOG 3020: ATHENA
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Quadra Study
- TESARO LUNG AND ENDOMETRIAL CANCER PRACTICUM
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3016 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Secord, Angeles Alvarez, David Tritchler, Yingmiao Liu, Mark D. Starr, John C. Brady, Heather A. Lankes, Herbert Hurwitz, et al. “Prognostic and predictive blood-based biomarkers (BMs) in patients (pts) with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) treated with carboplatin–paclitaxel (CP) ± bevacizumab (BEV): Results from GOG-0218..” In Journal of Clinical Oncology, 34:5521–5521. American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), 2016. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2016.34.15_suppl.5521.
Ehrisman, Jessie A., Sara Abbott, Zach Harmon, Angeles Alvarez Secord, Andrew Berchuck, Paula S. Lee, Fidel A. Valea, et al. “Prospective Evaluation of Lymph Node Processing at Staging Surgery for High-Grade Endometrial Cancer.” In Modern Pathology, 29:282A-282A. NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP, 2016.
Davidson, Brittany A., Jonathan Foote, Stacey L. Brower, Chunqiao Tian, Laura J. Havrilesky, and Angeles Alvarez Secord. “Analysis of in vitro chemoresponse assays in endometrioid endometrial adenocarcinoma: an observational ancillary analysis..” Gynecol Oncol Res Pract 3 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40661-016-0032-7.
Secord, Angeles Alvarez, Vic Hasselblad, Vivian E. Von Gruenigen, Paola A. Gehrig, Susan C. Modesitt, Victoria Bae-Jump, and Laura J. Havrilesky. “Body mass index and mortality in endometrial cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis..” Gynecol Oncol 140, no. 1 (January 2016): 184–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2015.10.020.
Gray, H. J., B. Benigno, J. Berek, J. Chang, J. Mason, L. Mileshkin, P. Mitchell, et al. “Progression-free and overall survival in ovarian cancer patients treated with CVac, a mucin 1 dendritic cell therapy in a randomized phase 2 trial..” J Immunother Cancer 4 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40425-016-0137-x.
Fuh, Katherine C., Angeles A. Secord, Kerri S. Bevis, Warner Huh, Adam ElNaggar, Kevin Blansit, Rebecca Previs, Todd Tillmanns, Daniel S. Kapp, and John K. Chan. “Comparison of bevacizumab alone or with chemotherapy in recurrent ovarian cancer patients..” Gynecol Oncol 139, no. 3 (December 2015): 413–18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2015.06.041.
Fox, Karin A., Alireza A. Shamshirsaz, Daniela Carusi, Angeles Alvarez Secord, Paula Lee, Ozhan M. Turan, Christopher Huls, et al. “Conservative management of morbidly adherent placenta: expert review..” Am J Obstet Gynecol 213, no. 6 (December 2015): 755–60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2015.04.034.
Dickson, Elizabeth L., Rachel Isaksson Vogel, Paola A. Gehrig, Stuart Pierce, Laura Havrilesky, Angeles Alvarez Secord, Joseph Dottino, Amanda N. Fader, Stephanie Ricci, and Melissa A. Geller. “A multi-institutional study of outcomes in stage I-III uterine carcinosarcoma..” Gynecol Oncol 139, no. 2 (November 2015): 275–82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2015.09.002.