Karabudak, AA, Hafner, J, Shetty, V, Chen, S, Secord, AA, Morse, MA, and Philip, R. "Autoantibody biomarkers identified by proteomics methods distinguish ovarian cancer from non-ovarian cancer with various CA-125 levels." J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 139, no. 10 (October 2013): 1757-1770.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- Quadra Study
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- Apera ARP-407
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 4)
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Lowery, WJ, Lowery, AW, Barnett, JC, Lopez-Acevedo, M, Lee, PS, Secord, AA, and Havrilesky, L. "Cost-effectiveness of early palliative care intervention in recurrent platinum-resistant ovarian cancer." Gynecol Oncol 130, no. 3 (September 2013): 426-430.
Teoh, D, Lowery, WJ, Walter, PJ, Secord, AA, Valea, FA, Berchuck, A, Havrilesky, LJ, and Lee, PS. "Vaginal cuff thermal injury and healing based on mode of colpotomy incision at total laparoscopic hysterectomy: a randomized clinical trial." September 2013.
Wenham, RM, Lapolla, J, Lin, H-Y, Apte, SM, Lancaster, JM, Judson, PL, Gonzalez-Bosquet, J, Herschberger, A, Havrilesky, LJ, and Secord, AA. "A phase II trial of docetaxel and bevacizumab in recurrent ovarian cancer within 12 months of prior platinum-based chemotherapy." Gynecol Oncol 130, no. 1 (July 2013): 19-24.
Zighelboim, I, Wright, JD, Gao, F, Case, AS, Massad, LS, Mutch, DG, Powell, MA, Thaker, PH, Eisenhauer, EL, Cohn, DE, Valea, FA, Alvarez Secord, A, Lippmann, LT, Dehdashti, F, and Rader, JS. "Multicenter phase II trial of topotecan, cisplatin and bevacizumab for recurrent or persistent cervical cancer." Gynecol Oncol 130, no. 1 (July 2013): 64-68.
Lopez-Acevedo, M, Havrilesky, LJ, Broadwater, G, Kamal, AH, Abernethy, AP, Berchuck, A, Alvarez Secord, A, Tulsky, JA, Valea, F, and Lee, PS. "Timing of end-of-life care discussion with performance on end-of-life quality indicators in ovarian cancer." Gynecol Oncol 130, no. 1 (July 2013): 156-161.
Secord, AA, Barnett, JC, Ledermann, JA, Peterson, BL, Myers, ER, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Cost-effectiveness of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation testing to target PARP inhibitor use in platinum-sensitive recurrent ovarian cancer." Int J Gynecol Cancer 23, no. 5 (June 2013): 846-852.
Stine, JE, Pierce, S, Gehrig, PA, Nakayama, J, Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Chiu, WK, Moore, DT, and Kim, KH. "Recurrence rates in patients with uterine papillary serous cancer with and without breast cancer." May 20, 2013.
Ko, EM, Walter, P, Clark, LH, Jackson, AL, Franasiak, J, Havrilesky, LJ, Secord, AA, Moore, DT, Gehrig, PA, and Bae-Jump, VL. "The impact of diabetes and obesity on endometrial cancer outcomes." May 20, 2013.
Romano-Fitzgerald, S, De Meritens, AB, Secord, AA, and Kohn, EC. "Invasion, metastasis, and angiogenesis." In Principles and Practice of Gynecologic Oncology: Sixth Edition, 72-88. May 8, 2013.