Ehrisman, JA, Secord, AA, Berchuck, A, Lee, PS, Di Santo, N, Valea, FA, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Sentinel lymph node mapping in women with high risk histology endometrial cancer." April 2015.
Angeles Alvarez Secord, MD
My primary research interest has focused on angiogenesis, molecular signatures, clinical trial development, and ovarian cancer. My fundamental goal is to develop a strong translational research program at Duke University in the Gynecologic Oncology Division where knowledge we glean from our basic science research can be incorporated into our clinical trial program. Specifically on anti-angiogenic therapy and molecular tumor signatures to direct therapy in patients with ovarian cancer to determine if a strategy that incorporates both clinical and genomic information can improve clinical outcome, minimize unnecessary toxicity, and impact positively on quality of life.
In addition I am interested in robotic-assisted laparoscopic surgery for women with endometrial, ovarian, and cervical cancers as well as for benign gynecologic conditions.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Duke University, 1994 - 1998
- M.D., University of Washington, 1994
- Duke University Medical Center, Masters of Health Sciences in Clinical Research, 2005-2011
Dr. Secord's research interests include elucidating the underlying genetic biology of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer, innovative clinical trial design, development of novel targeted therapies for personalized medicine, identification of biomarkers to direct anti-neoplastic therapy, and the incorporation of patient-reported outcomes in clinical trials. She has studied the regulation of angiogenesis in ovarian cancer for approximately 20 years and has recently extended our research to include the immunophenotype of the tumor microenvironment.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer
- Atezo NACT for Ovarian Cancer (Bio- Markers Lab Clinc Resch)
- GOG3015 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Phase 2 Trial of Dose Dense (Weekly) Paclitaxel with Pembrolizumab (MK-3475) in Platinum Resistant Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Tapimmune FRV-004
- GOG3005-ABB VIE Protocol M13-694
- A Phase 2 Randomized Double-Blind Trial of Maintenance with Niraparib vs Placebo
- A Pilot Study Investigating the Effect of Pembrolizumab on the Tumoral Immunoprofile of Cancers of Muellerian Origin
- NRG ONCOLOGY NETWORK GROUP OPERATIONS CENTER
- Quadra Study
- NCI National Clinical Trials Network U10 (Year 5)
- Women with BRCA-mutated Advanced Stage Ovarian Cancer
- GOG3016 Foundation Study ( Atezo Frontline)
- Apera ARP-407
- Lynparza Open Acess Olaparib
- Predictive value of the IL6 pathway to direct anti-angiogenic therapy in advanced ovarian cancer
- Assessing the relevance of weighted values in the ASCO value framework in ovarian cancer patients
- Blood-based Angiome Profiling to Direct Bevacizumab Therapy in Ovarian Cancer
- Tesaro Ovarian Cancer Practicum
- A Phase III Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Multicrentre Study of Olaparib Maintenance Monotherapy
Teoh, D, Lowery, WJ, Jiang, X, Ehrisman, J, Halvorson, P, Broadwater, G, Bentley, R, Secord, AA, Sobolewski, C, Berchuck, A, Havrilesky, LJ, Valea, FA, and Lee, PS. "Vaginal Cuff Thermal Injury by Mode of Colpotomy at Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy: A Randomized Clinical Trial." JOURNAL OF MINIMALLY INVASIVE GYNECOLOGY 22, no. 2 (February 2015): 227-233.
Teoh, D, Lowery, WJ, Jiang, X, Ehrisman, J, Halvorson, P, Broadwater, G, Bentley, R, Secord, AA, Sobolewski, C, Berchuck, A, Havrilesky, LJ, Valea, FA, and Lee, PS. "Vaginal cuff thermal injury by mode of colpotomy at total laparoscopic hysterectomy: a randomized clinical trial." February 2015.
Cobb, LP, Gaillard, S, Wang, Y, Shih, I-M, and Secord, AA. "Adenocarcinoma of Mullerian origin: review of pathogenesis, molecular biology, and emerging treatment paradigms." Gynecologic Oncology Research and Practice 2 (January 2015): 1-null.
Siamakpour-Reihani, S, Owzar, K, Jiang, C, Turner, T, Deng, Y, Bean, SM, Horton, JK, Berchuck, A, Marks, JR, Dewhirst, MW, and Secord, AA. "Prognostic significance of differential expression of angiogenic genes in women with high-grade serous ovarian carcinoma." Gynecologic Oncology 139, no. 1 (2015): 23-29.
Havrilesky, LJ, Alvarez Secord, A, Ehrisman, JA, Berchuck, A, Valea, FA, Lee, PS, Gaillard, SL, Samsa, GP, Cella, D, Weinfurt, KP, Abernethy, AP, and Reed, SD. "Patient preferences in advanced or recurrent ovarian cancer." Cancer 120, no. 23 (December 2014): 3651-3659.
Secord, AA, Nixon, AB, and Hurwitz, HI. "The search for biomarkers to direct antiangiogenic treatment in epithelial ovarian cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 135, no. 2 (November 2014): 349-358. (Review)
Fleming, G, Ghamande, S, Lin, Y, Secord, AA, Nemunaitis, J, Markham, M-J, Nephew, K, Fang, F, Gupta, S, Naim, S, Choy, G, Jueliger, S, Taverna, P, Hao, Y, Keer, H, Azab, M, and Matei, D. "Abstract 2320: Clinical epigenetic resensitization of platinum-resistant, recurrent ovarian cancer patients with SGI-110, a novel, second-generation, subcutaneously administered hypomethylating agent (HMA)." October 1, 2014.
Kokosis, G, Schmitz, R, Secord, A, Havrilesky, L, Berchuck, A, Mantyh, C, and Erdmann, D. "Modifizierter doppelt gestielter VRAM-Lappen zur simultanen Rekonstruktion eines Perineum- und posterioren vaginalen Defekts." Der Gynäkologe 47, no. 10 (October 2014): 784-787.
Herzog, TJ, Alvarez, RD, Secord, A, Goff, BA, Mannel, RS, Monk, BJ, and Coleman, RL. "SGO guidance document for clinical trial designs in ovarian cancer: a changing paradigm." Gynecologic oncology 135, no. 1 (October 2014): 3-7.