Cindy Louise Amundsen, MD
- Application of nerve stimulation (Interstim therapy) for control of continence
- Evaluation of botox therapy for urinary urge incontinence
- Evaluation and treatment for nocturnal voiding
- Application of nerve stimulation for control of continence and enable proper voiding in individuals with Spinal cord injuries
- Application of nerve stimulation for urinary retention
- Minimally invasive prolapse surgery using graft material for enhancing pelvic organ prolapse repairs
-Treatment for stress urinary incontinence with minimally invasive techniques
- Evaluation of the urinary microbiome as it relates to recurrent urinary tract infections and lower urinary tract symptoms
Education and Training
- Urogynecology Fellowship, Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, 1995 - 1996
- Residency, Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, 1991 - 1995
- M.D., University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 1991
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1997
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, 2013
Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction / Pelvic Floor Disorders
Selected Grants and Awards
- Duke Women's Reproductive Health Research Scholars
- Advancing the Measurement and Classification of Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction
- AUGS/DUKE Urogynecology Clinical Research Educational Scientist Training (UrogynCREST) Program
- A prospective study to assess the efficacy and safety of the BlueWind RENOVA iStim System in the treatment of patients diagnosed with overactive bladder (OASIS - OverActive bladder StImulation System
- Predicting Urinary Continence Status with Sacral Neuromodulation and Botulinum Toxin Treatments
- Duke KURe Program
- Underactive Bladder: Mechanisms and Recovery of Sensation and Function
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Effects of Aging and the Urinary Microbiome on Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections
- Model for Predicting Efficacy of Treatment and Complications in Women after Intradetrusor OnabotulinumtoxinA for Non-Neurogenic Urgency Incontinence"
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Neural Prosthetic Control of Continence and Micturition
- Combination Therapy in the Treatment of Urge Urinary Incontinence: A Randomized, Placebo Controlled Trial
- Symptoms of Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction Research Network (U01) Supplement
- The Jahnigen Career Development Award (JCDA)
- Nocturnal Deterusor Overactivity In Overactive Bladder Syndrome
- The Effect of Androgens on Sexual Function in Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Cundiff, Geoffrey W., Cindy L. Amundsen, Alfred E. Bent, Kimberly W. Coates, Joseph I. Schaffer, Kris Strohbehn, and Victoria L. Handa. “The PESSRI study: symptom relief outcomes of a randomized crossover trial of the ring and Gellhorn pessaries.” Am J Obstet Gynecol 196, no. 4 (April 2007): 405.e1-405.e8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2007.02.018.
Foster, Raymond T., Cindy L. Amundsen, and George D. Webster. “The utility of magnetic resonance imaging for diagnosis and surgical planning before transvaginal periurethral diverticulectomy in women.” Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18, no. 3 (March 2007): 315–19. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00192-006-0145-3.
Lemack, Gary E., Cindy Amundsen, Gopal Badlani, Tomas Griebling, Kenneth Peters, Larissa Rodriguez, Ajay Singla, Christopher Smith, Maryrose Sullivan, and Alexis Te. “Highlights from the combined Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology, and International Society of Pelvic Neuromodulation annual meeting.” J Urol 177, no. 2 (February 2007): 691–95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2006.09.054.
Dylewski, Drew A., Margaret G. Jamison, Kristy M. Borawski, Neil D. Sherman, Cindy L. Amundsen, and George D. Webster. “A statistical comparison of pad numbers versus pad weights in the quantification of urinary incontinence.” Neurourol Urodyn 26, no. 1 (2007): 3–7. https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.20352.
Amundsen, Cindy L., Matthew Parsons, Bill Tissot, Linda Cardozo, Ananias Diokno, and Alfred C. Coats. “Bladder diary measurements in asymptomatic females: functional bladder capacity, frequency, and 24-hr volume.” Neurourol Urodyn 26, no. 3 (2007): 341–49. https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.20241.
Parsons, Matthew, Cindy L. Amundsen, Linda Cardozo, Maria Vella, George D. Webster, Alfred C. Coats, and Alfred C. Bladder Diary Research Team. “Bladder diary patterns in detrusor overactivity and urodynamic stress incontinence.” Neurourol Urodyn 26, no. 6 (2007): 800–806. https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.20406.
Goldman, Howard B., Jeffrey Mangel, and Cindy L. Amundsen. “Dorsal genital nerve stimulation for the treatment of refractory overactive bladder symptoms.” In Neurourology and Urodynamics, 26:1109–10. WILEY-LISS, 2007.
Foster, Raymond T., Elizabeth J. Anoia, George D. Webster, and Cindy L. Amundsen. “In patients undergoing neuromodulation for intractable urge incontinence a reduction in 24-hr pad weight after the initial test stimulation best predicts long-term patient satisfaction.” Neurourol Urodyn 26, no. 2 (2007): 213–17. https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.20330.