Cindy Louise Amundsen, MD
- Application of nerve stimulation (Interstim therapy) for control of continence
- Evaluation of botox therapy for urinary urge incontinence
- Evaluation and treatment for nocturnal voiding
- Application of nerve stimulation for control of continence and enable proper voiding in individuals with Spinal cord injuries
- Application of nerve stimulation for urinary retention
- Minimally invasive prolapse surgery using graft material for enhancing pelvic organ prolapse repairs
-Treatment for stress urinary incontinence with minimally invasive techniques
- Evaluation of the urinary microbiome as it relates to recurrent urinary tract infections and lower urinary tract symptoms
Education and Training
- Urogynecology Fellowship, Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, 1995 - 1996
- Residency, Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, 1991 - 1995
- M.D., University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 1991
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1997
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, 2013
Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction / Pelvic Floor Disorders
Selected Grants and Awards
- Duke Women's Reproductive Health Research Scholars
- Advancing the Measurement and Classification of Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction
- AUGS/DUKE Urogynecology Clinical Research Educational Scientist Training (UrogynCREST) Program
- Predicting Urinary Continence Status with Sacral Neuromodulation and Botulinum Toxin Treatments
- Duke KURe Program
- Underactive Bladder: Mechanisms and Recovery of Sensation and Function
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Effects of Aging and the Urinary Microbiome on Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections
- Model for Predicting Efficacy of Treatment and Complications in Women after Intradetrusor OnabotulinumtoxinA for Non-Neurogenic Urgency Incontinence"
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Neural Prosthetic Control of Continence and Micturition
- Combination Therapy in the Treatment of Urge Urinary Incontinence: A Randomized, Placebo Controlled Trial
- Symptoms of Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction Research Network (U01) Supplement
- The Jahnigen Career Development Award (JCDA)
- Nocturnal Deterusor Overactivity In Overactive Bladder Syndrome
- The Effect of Androgens on Sexual Function in Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Scales, Charles, Melissa Greiner, Lesley Curtis, Brad Hammill, Andrew Peterson, Cindy Amundsen, Viviana Martinez-Bianchi, Mitchell Heflin, and Kenneth Schmader. “MP25-15 INITIAL PHARMACOTHERAPY FOR OVERACTIVE BLADDER SYMPTOMS AMONG MEDICARE BENEFICIARIES.” Journal of Urology 195, no. 4S (April 2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2016.02.792.
Scales, Charles, Melissa Greiner, Lesley Curtis, Brad Hammill, Andrew Peterson, Cindy Amundsen, Viviana Martinez-Bianchi, Mitchell Heflin, and Kenneth Schmader. “MP25-16 MEDICATION SWITCHING AFTER INITIAL PHARMACOTHERAPY FOR OVERACTIVE BLADDER.” Journal of Urology 195, no. 4S (April 2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2016.02.793.
Eric Jelovsek, J., Alayne D. Markland, William E. Whitehead, Matthew D. Barber, Diane K. Newman, Rebecca G. Rogers, Keisha Dyer, et al. “Controlling anal incontinence in women by performing anal exercises with biofeedback or loperamide (CAPABLe) trial: Design and methods.” Contemp Clin Trials 44 (September 2015): 164–74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2015.08.009.
Edenfield, Autumn L., Cindy L. Amundsen, Jennifer M. Wu, Pamela J. Levin, and Nazema Y. Siddiqui. “Posterior tibial nerve stimulation for the treatment of fecal incontinence: a systematic evidence review.” Obstet Gynecol Surv 70, no. 5 (May 2015): 329–41. https://doi.org/10.1097/OGX.0000000000000171.
Siddiqui, Nazema Y., Laura G. DuBois, Lisa St John-Williams, Thompson J. Will, Carole Grenier, Emily Burke, Matthew O. Fraser, Cindy L. Amundsen, and Susan K. Murphy. “Optimizing Urine Processing Protocols for Protein and Metabolite Detection.” J Proteomics Bioinform 2015, no. Suppl 14 (2015).
Levin, Pamela June, Nazema Yusuf Siddiqui, Jennifer Marie Wu, and Cindy Louise Amundsen. “Psychosocial factors related to the use of InterStim® for the treatment of refractory overactive bladder.” Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg 20, no. 5 (September 2014): 272–75. https://doi.org/10.1097/SPV.0000000000000062.