Havrilesky, LJ, Sanders, GD, Kulasingam, S, Chino, JP, Berchuck, A, Marks, JR, and Myers, ER. "Development of an ovarian cancer screening decision model that incorporates disease heterogeneity: implications for potential mortality reduction." Cancer 117, no. 3 (February 1, 2011): 545-553.
Evan Robert Myers, MD
My research interests are broadly in the application of quantitative methods, especially mathematical modeling and decision analysis, to problems in women's health. Recent and current activities include integration of simulation modeling and systematic reviews to inform decisions surrounding cervical, ovarian, and breast cancer prevention and control, screening for postpartum depression, and management of uterine fibroids. We are also engaged in exploring methods for integrating guidelines development and research prioritization. In addition, I have ongoing collaborations using the tools of decision analysis with faculty in other clinical areas Research is conducted through the Division of Reproductive Sciences in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the Evidence Synthesis Group in the Duke Clinical Research Institute, and the Duke Cancer Institute. I'm also the course director for CRP 259, "Decision Sciences in Clinical Research", in Duke's Clinical Research Training Program.
Education and Training
- Associate, Ob/Gyn, Duke University, 1992 - 1994
- House Staff - Resident, Ob/Gyn, Duke University, 1988 - 1992
- M.P.H., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1992
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1988
Selected Grants and Awards
- Duke CTSA (KL2)
- Duke CTSA (TL1)
- Comparison of Operative to Medical Endocrine Therapy (COMET) for Low Risk DCIS
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Racial Differences in Treatment with Hysterectomy: a Multilevel Investigation
- Exploring factors related to racial disparities in ovarian cancer incidence and survival: the OCWAA consortium
- Exploring Value-Based Care from Various Perspectives
- Duke KURe Program
- Optimizing Lupus Management in Pregnancy
- Molecular Methods to Improve Cervical Cancer Screening in HIV+ Women
- Value of Information Analysis: PCORnet Aspirin Maintenance Doseage Trial
- UNC-Duke Collaborative Clinical Pharmacology Postdoctoral Training Program
- Topic Refinement 2015
- PCORI_Triage and FR Prioritization - Amendment #3
- Smoking Resumption-Prevention in Postpartum Women
- Pregnancy and Response to Antiretroviral Therapy in South Africa
- Translational Research in Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Oral Contraceptive Use for the Primary Prevention of Ovarian Cancer
- EPC: Postpartum Depression
- Effectiveness of a Vaccination Program in the Community ObGyn Setting
- Ovarian Failure Among Hysterectomized Women
- Addressing Birth Defect Prevention in Women Veterans
- Effectiveness and Efficiency of Assisted Reproductive Technology
- Decision Analysis on Screening for Cervical Cancer
- An interdisciplinary use of models for cancer prevention
- Testing Pharmacological Therapies for Pregnant Smokers
- Cooperative Multi-Center Reproductive Medicine Network
- Genomics Tests for Ovarian Cancer Detection and Management
- Mentored Clinical Research Scholar Program
- Management of Adnexal Mass
- Duke's Center for Muslim Women's Health
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Risk Group
- Partner Assisted Interventions For Pregnant Smokers
- Management of Post-Term Pregnancy
- Management of Uterine Fibroids
- Risk Adjustment Methods For Complications Of Hysterectomy
Aubuchon, M, Kunselman, AR, Schlaff, WD, Diamond, MP, Coutifaris, C, Carson, SA, Steinkampf, MP, Carr, BR, McGovern, PG, Cataldo, NA, Gosman, GG, Nestler, JE, Myers, ER, and Legro, RS. "Metformin and/or clomiphene do not adversely affect liver or renal function in women with polycystic ovary syndrome." Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 96, no. 10 (2011): E1645-E1649.
Atashili, J, Smith, JS, Adimora, AA, Eron, J, Miller, WC, and Myers, E. "Potential impact of antiretroviral therapy and screening on cervical cancer mortality in HIV-positive women in sub-Saharan Africa: A simulation." PLoS ONE 6, no. 4 (2011).
Swamy, GK, Reddick, KLB, Brouwer, RJN, Pollak, KI, and Myers, ER. "Smoking prevalence in early pregnancy: comparison of self-report and anonymous urine cotinine testing." The Journal of Maternal Fetal & Neonatal Medicine : the Official Journal of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine, the Federation of Asia and Oceania Perinatal Societies, the International Society of Perinatal Obstetricians 24, no. 1 (January 2011): 86-90.
Wallace, AH, Havrilesky, LJ, Valea, FA, Barnett, JC, Berchuck, A, and Myers, ER. "Projecting the need for gynecologic oncologists for the next 40 years." Obstet Gynecol 116, no. 6 (December 2010): 1366-1372.
Legro, RS, Schlaff, WD, Diamond, MP, Coutifaris, C, Casson, PR, Brzyski, RG, Christman, GM, Trussell, JC, Krawetz, SA, Snyder, PJ, Ohl, D, Carson, SA, Steinkampf, MP, Carr, BR, McGovern, PG, Cataldo, NA, Gosman, GG, Nestler, JE, Myers, ER, Santoro, N, Eisenberg, E, Zhang, M, Zhang, H, and Reproductive Medicine Network, . "Total testosterone assays in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: precision and correlation with hirsutism." The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 95, no. 12 (December 2010): 5305-5313.
Pagidas, K, Carson, SA, McGovern, PG, Barnhart, HX, Myers, ER, Legro, RS, Diamond, MP, Carr, BR, Schlaff, WD, Coutifaris, C, Steinkampf, MP, Cataldo, NA, Nestler, JE, Gosman, G, Giudice, LC, and National Institute of Child Health and Human Development-Reproductive Medicine Network, . "Body mass index and intercourse compliance." Fertil Steril 94, no. 4 (September 2010): 1447-1450.
Barnett, JC, Judd, JP, Wu, JM, Scales, CD, Myers, ER, and Havrilesky, LJ. "Cost comparison among robotic, laparoscopic, and open hysterectomy for endometrial cancer." Obstet Gynecol 116, no. 3 (September 2010): 685-693.
Pagidas, K, Carson, SA, McGovern, PG, Barnhart, HX, Myers, ER, Legro, RS, Diamond, MP, Carr, BR, Schlaff, WD, Coutifaris, C, Steinkampf, MP, Cataldo, NA, Nestler, JE, Gosman, G, Giudice, LC, and National Institute of Child Health and Human Development-Reproductive Medicine Network, . "Intercourse compliance, ovulation, and treatment success in the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development-Reproductive Medicine Network's Pregnancy in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PPCOS) Trial." Fertil Steril 94, no. 4 (September 2010): 1444-1446.
Havrilesky, LJ, Krivak, TC, Mucenski, JW, and Myers, ER. "Impact of a chemoresponse assay on treatment costs for recurrent ovarian cancer." Am J Obstet Gynecol 203, no. 2 (August 2010): 160.e1-160.e7.