Bushnell, CD, James, AH, Jamison, M, and Myers, ER. "Peripartum stroke: Incidence, mortality, and outcomes." February 2005.
Evan Robert Myers, MD
My research interests are broadly in the application of quantitative methods, especially mathematical modeling and decision analysis, to problems in women's health. Recent and current activities include integration of simulation modeling and systematic reviews to inform decisions surrounding cervical, ovarian, and breast cancer prevention and control, screening for postpartum depression, and management of uterine fibroids. We are also engaged in exploring methods for integrating guidelines development and research prioritization. In addition, I have ongoing collaborations using the tools of decision analysis with faculty in other clinical areas Research is conducted through the Division of Reproductive Sciences in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the Evidence Synthesis Group in the Duke Clinical Research Institute, and the Duke Cancer Institute. I'm also the course director for CRP 259, "Decision Sciences in Clinical Research", in Duke's Clinical Research Training Program.
Education and Training
- Associate, Ob/Gyn, Duke University, 1992 - 1994
- House Staff - Resident, Ob/Gyn, Duke University, 1988 - 1992
- M.P.H., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1992
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1988
Selected Grants and Awards
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Comparison of Operative to Medical Endocrine Therapy (COMET) for Low Risk DCIS
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Which palliative care quality measures improve patient-centered outcomes?
- Exploring Value-Based Care from Various Perspectives
- Duke KURe Program
- Exploring factors related to racial disparities in ovarian cancer incidence and survival: the OCWAA consortium
- Optimizing Lupus Management in Pregnancy
- Molecular Methods to Improve Cervical Cancer Screening in HIV+ Women
- Value of Information Analysis: PCORnet Aspirin Maintenance Doseage Trial
- Topic Refinement 2015
- PCORI_Triage and FR Prioritization - Amendment #3
- Pregnancy and Response to Antiretroviral Therapy in South Africa
- Translational Research in Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Oral Contraceptive Use for the Primary Prevention of Ovarian Cancer
- Effectiveness of a Vaccination Program in the Community ObGyn Setting
- Ovarian Failure Among Hysterectomized Women
- Addressing Birth Defect Prevention in Women Veterans
- Effectiveness and Efficiency of Assisted Reproductive Technology
- Decision Analysis on Screening for Cervical Cancer
- An interdisciplinary use of models for cancer prevention
- Cooperative Multi-Center Reproductive Medicine Network
- Genomics Tests for Ovarian Cancer Detection and Management
- Mentored Clinical Research Scholar Program
- Management of Adnexal Mass
- Duke's Center for Muslim Women's Health
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Risk Group
- Partner Assisted Interventions For Pregnant Smokers
- Management of Post-Term Pregnancy
- Management of Uterine Fibroids
- Risk Adjustment Methods For Complications Of Hysterectomy
Matchar, DB, Westermann-Clark, EV, McCrory, DC, Patwardhan, M, Samsa, G, Kulasingam, S, Myers, E, Sarria-Santamera, A, Lee, A, Gray, R, and Liu, K. "Dissemination of Evidence-based Practice Center reports." Annals of Internal Medicine 142, no. 12 II (2005): 1120-1125.
Koninckx, P, Brosens, JJ, Brosens, I, McGovern, PG, Myers, ER, and Coutifaris, C. "Endometrial dating - Still room for controversy  (multiple letters)." Fertility and Sterility 83, no. 6 (2005): 1889-1891.
Hurskainen, R, Teperi, J, Rissanen, P, Aalto, AM, Grenman, S, Kivelä, A, Kajansuu, E, Vuorma, S, Yliskoski, M, Paavonen, J, and Myers, ER. "Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system for menorrhagia cost less than hysterectomy over 5 years." Evidence-based Obstetrics and Gynecology 7, no. 1 (2005): 23-24.
Zhu, W, Rawlins, BA, Boachie-Adjei, O, Myers, ER, Arimizu, J, Choi, E, Lieberman, JR, Crystal, RG, and Hidaka, C. "Combined bone morphogenetic protein-2 and -7 gene transfer enhances osteoblastic differentiation and spine fusion in a rodent model." J Bone Miner Res 19, no. 12 (December 2004): 2021-2032.
McGovern, PG, Myers, ER, Silva, S, Coutifaris, C, Carson, SA, Legro, RS, Schlaff, WD, Carr, BR, Steinkampf, MP, Giudice, LC, Leppert, PC, Diamond, MP, and NICHD National Cooperative Reproductive Medicine Network, . "Absence of secretory endometrium after false-positive home urine luteinizing hormone testing." Fertil Steril 82, no. 5 (November 2004): 1273-1277.
Coutifaris, C, Myers, ER, Guzick, DS, Diamond, MP, Carson, SA, Legro, RS, McGovern, PG, Schlaff, WD, Carr, BR, Steinkampf, MP, Silva, S, Vogel, DL, Leppert, PC, and NICHD National Cooperative Reproductive Medicine Network, . "Histological dating of timed endometrial biopsy tissue is not related to fertility status." Fertil Steril 82, no. 5 (November 2004): 1264-1272.
Myers, ER, Silva, S, Barnhart, K, Groben, PA, Richardson, MS, Robboy, SJ, Leppert, P, Coutifaris, C, and NICHD National Cooperative Reproductive Medicine Network, . "Interobserver and intraobserver variability in the histological dating of the endometrium in fertile and infertile women." Fertil Steril 82, no. 5 (November 2004): 1278-1282.
Sama, AA, Khan, SN, Myers, ER, Huang, RC, Cammisa, FP, Sandhu, HS, and Lane, JM. "High-dose alendronate uncouples osteoclast and osteoblast function: a study in a rat spine pseudarthrosis model." Clin Orthop Relat Res, no. 425 (August 2004): 135-142.
Legro, RS, and Myers, E. "Surrogate end-points or primary outcomes in clinical trials in women with polycystic ovary syndrome?." Hum Reprod 19, no. 8 (August 2004): 1697-1704. (Review)