"GnRHa prior to surgery for uterine fibroids has beneficial effects before, during, and after surgery – meta-analysis." Evidence-based Obstetrics & Gynecology 5, no. 2 (June 2003): 74-76.
Evan Robert Myers, MD
My research interests are broadly in the application of quantitative methods, especially mathematical modeling and decision analysis, to problems in women's health. Recent and current activities include integration of simulation modeling and systematic reviews to inform decisions surrounding cervical, ovarian, and breast cancer prevention and control, screening for postpartum depression, and management of uterine fibroids. We are also engaged in exploring methods for integrating guidelines development and research prioritization. In addition, I have ongoing collaborations using the tools of decision analysis with faculty in other clinical areas Research is conducted through the Division of Reproductive Sciences in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the Evidence Synthesis Group in the Duke Clinical Research Institute, and the Duke Cancer Institute. I'm also the course director for CRP 259, "Decision Sciences in Clinical Research", in Duke's Clinical Research Training Program.
Education and Training
- Associate, Ob/Gyn, Duke University, 1992 - 1994
- House Staff - Resident, Ob/Gyn, Duke University, 1988 - 1992
- M.P.H., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1992
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1988
Selected Grants and Awards
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Comparison of Operative to Medical Endocrine Therapy (COMET) for Low Risk DCIS
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Which palliative care quality measures improve patient-centered outcomes?
- Exploring Value-Based Care from Various Perspectives
- Duke KURe Program
- Exploring factors related to racial disparities in ovarian cancer incidence and survival: the OCWAA consortium
- Optimizing Lupus Management in Pregnancy
- Molecular Methods to Improve Cervical Cancer Screening in HIV+ Women
- Value of Information Analysis: PCORnet Aspirin Maintenance Doseage Trial
- Topic Refinement 2015
- PCORI_Triage and FR Prioritization - Amendment #3
- Pregnancy and Response to Antiretroviral Therapy in South Africa
- Translational Research in Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Oral Contraceptive Use for the Primary Prevention of Ovarian Cancer
- Effectiveness of a Vaccination Program in the Community ObGyn Setting
- Ovarian Failure Among Hysterectomized Women
- Addressing Birth Defect Prevention in Women Veterans
- Effectiveness and Efficiency of Assisted Reproductive Technology
- Decision Analysis on Screening for Cervical Cancer
- An interdisciplinary use of models for cancer prevention
- Cooperative Multi-Center Reproductive Medicine Network
- Genomics Tests for Ovarian Cancer Detection and Management
- Mentored Clinical Research Scholar Program
- Management of Adnexal Mass
- Duke's Center for Muslim Women's Health
- The Obstetrics and Gynecology Risk Group
- Partner Assisted Interventions For Pregnant Smokers
- Management of Post-Term Pregnancy
- Management of Uterine Fibroids
- Risk Adjustment Methods For Complications Of Hysterectomy
Insinga, RP, Dasbach, EJ, and Myers, ER. "The health and economic burden of genital warts in a set of private health plans in the United States." Clin Infect Dis 36, no. 11 (June 1, 2003): 1397-1403.
Roth, TM, Gustilo-Ashby, T, Barber, MD, and Myers, ER. "Effects of race and clinical factors on short-term outcomes of abdominal myomectomy." Obstet Gynecol 101, no. 5 Pt 1 (May 2003): 881-884.
Cantor, SB, Fahs, MC, Mandelblatt, JS, Myers, ER, Sanders, GD, and Follen, M. "Decision Science and Cervical Cancer." Cancer 98, no. 9 SUPPL. (2003): 2003-2008.
Roth, TM, Gustilo-Ashby, T, Barber, MD, and Myers, ER. "Effects of race and clinical factors on short-term outcomes of abdominal myomectomy." Obstetrics and Gynecology 101, no. 5 (2003): 881-884.
Farquhar, C, Brown, PM, Furness, S, and Myers, ER. "GnRHa treatment prior to surgery for uterine fibroids is not cost-effective." Evidence-based Obstetrics and Gynecology 5, no. 2 (2003): 75-76.
Arredondo, EM, Pollak, KI, Costanzo, P, McNeilly, M, and Myers, E. "Primary care residents' characteristics and motives for providing differential medical treatment of cervical cancer screening." Journal of the National Medical Association 95, no. 7 (2003): 577-584.
Myers, ER. "Uterine artery embolization: what more do we need to know?." Obstet Gynecol 100, no. 5 Pt 1 (November 2002): 847-848.
Maxwell, GL, Carlson, JW, Ochoa, M, Krivak, T, Rose, GS, and Myers, ER. "Costs and effectiveness of alternative strategies for cervical cancer screening in military beneficiaries." Obstet Gynecol 100, no. 4 (October 2002): 740-748.
Visco, AG, Barber, MD, and Myers, ER. "Early physician experience with laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy and rates of surgical complications and conversion to laparotomy." Am J Obstet Gynecol 187, no. 4 (October 2002): 1008-1012.