Swamy, GK, Roelands, JJ, Peterson, BL, Fish, LJ, Oncken, CA, Pletsch, PK, Myers, ER, Whitecar, PW, and Pollak, KI. "Predictors of adverse events among pregnant smokers exposed in a nicotine replacement therapy trial." Am J Obstet Gynecol 201, no. 4 (October 2009): 354.e1-354.e7.
Geeta Krishna Swamy, MD
Dr. Geeta Swamy, MD, became Vice Chair for Research and Faculty Development in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology on March 1, 2018. In this dual role, Dr. Swamy oversees strategic development and administration of the Department’s basic, translational and clinical research programs, as well as implements and oversees programs to support development and mentorship for all faculty at all levels.
Dr. Swamy has dedicated her career to advancing research in women’s health and to mentoring faculty and trainees. She is an internationally recognized clinician-researcher, and an expert and nationally-recognized leader in the field of maternal immunization and vaccination in pregnancy. Her research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and others. She currently serves as the Co-Principal Investigator for the NIH-NIAID Vaccine Treatment and Evaluation (VTEU) and CDC-funded Clinical Immunization Safety Assessment, and has published over 100 peer-reviewed manuscripts. Dr. Swamy has been the Director of the Duke Perinatal Research Center since 2010.
Dr. Swamy has also been instrumental in developing and leading the School of Medicine’s Research Regulatory and Compliance initiatives, first as Chair of the IRB and then as Associate Dean for Clinical Research for Regulatory Oversight and Research Initiatives. This past fall, she was promoted to Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Research in the School of Medicine.
Dr. Swamy's focused area of interests are perinatal infection, maternal immunization and preterm birth.
Education and Training
- Resident, Obstetrics And Gynecology, University of Pittsburgh, 1997 - 2001
- M.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1997
Selected Grants and Awards
- VTEU A-1 Admin
- Duke CTSA (KL2)
- Duke CTSA (TL1)
- Pulmonary Complications in a Brith Cohort after a Randomized Trial of Exposure to Antenatal Corticosteroids: the ALPS Follow-Up Study Capitation
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver NICHD Cooperative Multicenter Neonatal Research Network
- RSV- M-301
- The relationship between maternal ZIKV-specific and ADE antibodies and fetal outcome
- Rapid, Near Patient Nucleic Acid Testing for Infant Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection
- MFMU Network Studies
- CISA: 2015 CISA 03 - Lead Site Base Task: Maternal Tdap and IIV Study (Lead)
- Duke Research Training Program for Pediatricians
- Pulmonary Complications in a Brith Cohort after a Randomized Trial of Exposure to Antenatal Corticosteroids: the ALPS Follow-Up Study
- Duke CTSA (UL1)
- UNC-Duke Collaborative Clinical Pharmacology Postdoctoral Training Program
- CISA Task Order No. 3 Tdap Safety in Pregnant Women
- Effectiveness of a Vaccination Program in the Community ObGyn Setting
- PiiiTCH Study
Østbye, T, Krause, KM, Lovelady, CA, Morey, MC, Bastian, LA, Peterson, BL, Swamy, GK, Brouwer, RJN, and McBride, CM. "Active Mothers Postpartum: a randomized controlled weight-loss intervention trial." Am J Prev Med 37, no. 3 (September 2009): 173-180.
Fish, LJ, Peterson, BL, Namenek Brouwer, RJ, Lyna, P, Oncken, CA, Swamy, GK, Myers, ER, Pletsch, PK, and Pollak, KI. "Adherence to nicotine replacement therapy among pregnant smokers." Nicotine Tob Res 11, no. 5 (May 2009): 514-518.
Swamy, GK. "Small for gestational age boys at increased risk of later psychiatric hospitalisation." Evid Based Ment Health 12, no. 2 (May 2009): 61-.
Chin, JR, and Swamy, GK. "Long-term survival and reproduction in preterm infants." Pediatric Health 3, no. 4 (2009): 381-389.
Østbye, T, Krause, KM, Brouwer, RJN, Lovelady, CA, Morey, MC, Bastian, LA, Peterson, BL, Swamy, GK, Chowdhary, J, and McBride, CM. "Active Mothers Postpartum (AMP): rationale, design, and baseline characteristics." J Womens Health (Larchmt) 17, no. 10 (December 2008): 1567-1575.
Swamy, GK. "Association of preterm birth with long-term survival, reproduction, and next-generation preterm birth - (vol 299, pg 1429, 2008)." JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION 300, no. 2 (July 9, 2008): 170-171.
Swamy, GK, Edwards, S, Gelfand, A, and Miranda, ML. "Maternal age, birth order, and race: Differential effects on birthweight." June 1, 2008.
Myers, ER, McCrory, DC, Mills, AA, Price, TM, Swamy, GK, Tantibhedhyangkul, J, Wu, JM, and Matchar, DB. "Effectiveness of assisted reproductive technology (ART)." Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep), no. 167 (May 2008): 1-195. (Review)
Swamy, GK, Ostbye, T, and Skjaerven, R. "Association of preterm birth with long-term survival, reproduction, and next-generation preterm birth." JAMA 299, no. 12 (March 26, 2008): 1429-1436.