Landers, DV, Wiesenfeld, HC, Heine, RP, Krohn, MA, and Hillier, SL. "Predictive value of the clinical diagnosis of lower genital tract infection in women." Am J Obstet Gynecol 190, no. 4 (April 2004): 1004-1010.
Robert Phillips Heine, MD
Dr. R. Phillips Heine is a Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Pediatrics at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC. He currently serves as the Director of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Vice Chair for Administration Affairs, and Medical Director for the Women’s Clinical Services Unit (CSU) in the Duke University Health System.
Dr. Heine completed his clinical training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of North Carolina during which time he developed an academic interest regarding infection and its role in women’s reproductive health and specifically adverse pregnancy outcome. He subsequently completed a Sexually Transmitted Diseases research fellowship in the laboratories of Fred Sparling and Priscilla Wyrick at the University of North Carolina and went on to complete a Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellowship at the University of Colorado. After fellowship Dr. Heine became a faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh and an investigator at the Magee Women’s Research Institute. During this time he served as Resident Research Coordinator and Associate MFM fellowship director prior to his move to Duke University.
His current clinical and research interests focus on the role of infection and inflammation in preterm birth and other adverse pregnancy outcomes. He also has a specific interest in the use of immunizations in pregnancy for both the prevention of disease in the mother and the newborn.
Education and Training
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1991 - 1993
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1990 - 1991
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1986 - 1990
- M.D., Texas Tech University of Health Science Nursing, 1986
Selected Grants and Awards
- VTEU Task C Option 1 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 4 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 3 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU 12-0021 Task C - Base
- VTEU Task C Option 2 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- CISA: 2015 CISA 03 - Lead Site Base Task: Maternal Tdap and IIV Study (Lead)
- VTEU 12-0021 - Task C Option 1
- CISA Task Order No. 3 Tdap Safety in Pregnant Women
- Role of GRK6-Mediated Oxytocin Receptor Desensitization in Labor
- Effectiveness of a Vaccination Program in the Community ObGyn Setting
- 09-0056 A Phase II Study in Pregnant Women to Assess H1N1 Vaccine
- A randomized double-blind trial on the safety and immunogenicity of inactivated trivalent influenza vaccine in pregnant
Klebanoff, MA, Hauth, JC, MacPherson, CA, Carey, JC, Heine, RP, Wapner, RJ, Iams, JD, Moawad, A, Miodovnik, M, Sibai, BM, vanDorsten, JP, Dombrowski, MP, and National Institute for Child Health and Development Maternal Fetal Medicine Units Network, . "Time course of the regression of asymptomatic bacterial vaginosis in pregnancy with and without treatment." Am J Obstet Gynecol 190, no. 2 (February 2004): 363-370.
Weisenfeld, HC, and Heine, RP. "Pelvic Inflammatory Disease." In Surgical Decision Making: Fifth Edition, 466-467. January 1, 2004.
Brancazio, LR, Murtha, AP, and Heine, RP. "Prevention of recurrent preterm delivery by 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate." N Engl J Med 349, no. 11 (September 11, 2003): 1087-1088. (Letter)
Grable, IA, and Heine, RP. "Neutrophil granule products: can they identify subclinical chorioamnionitis in patients with preterm premature rupture of membranes?." Am J Obstet Gynecol 189, no. 3 (September 2003): 808-812.
Teran, E, Escudero, C, and Calle, A. "Seroprevalence of antibodies to chlamydia pneumoniae in women with preeclampsia." Obstetrics and gynecology 102, no. 1 (July 2003): 198-199. (Letter)
Balu, RB, Savitz, DA, Ananth, CV, Hartmann, KE, Miller, WC, Thorp, JM, and Heine, RP. "Bacterial vaginosis, vaginal fluid neutrophil defensins, and preterm birth." Obstetrics and Gynecology 101, no. 5 Pt 1 (May 2003): 862-868.
Heine, RP, Ness, RB, and Roberts, JM. "Seroprevalence of antibodies to Chlamydia pneumoniae in women with preeclampsia." Obstet Gynecol 101, no. 2 (February 2003): 221-226.
Balu, RB, Savitz, DA, Ananth, CV, Hartmann, KE, Miller, WC, Thorp, JM, and Heine, RP. "Bacterial vaginosis, vaginal fluid neutrophil defensins, and preterm birth." Obstetrics and Gynecology 101, no. 5 (2003): 862-868.
Balu, RB, Savitz, DA, Ananth, CV, Hartmann, KE, Miller, WC, Thorp, JM, and Heine, RP. "Bacterial vaginosis and vaginal fluid defensins during pregnancy." American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 187, no. 5 (November 2002): 1267-1271.