Fortner, KB, Edwards, KM, Broder, KR, Jimenez, N, Zhu, Y, Walter, EB, Heine, RP, Moro, P, Liang, JL, and Swamy, GK. "343: Reactogenicity of tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid, and acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap) in pregnant women." January 2016.
Robert Phillips Heine, MD
Dr. R. Phillips Heine is a Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Pediatrics at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC. He currently serves as the Director of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Vice Chair for Administration Affairs, and Medical Director for the Women’s Clinical Services Unit (CSU) in the Duke University Health System.
Dr. Heine completed his clinical training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of North Carolina during which time he developed an academic interest regarding infection and its role in women’s reproductive health and specifically adverse pregnancy outcome. He subsequently completed a Sexually Transmitted Diseases research fellowship in the laboratories of Fred Sparling and Priscilla Wyrick at the University of North Carolina and went on to complete a Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellowship at the University of Colorado. After fellowship Dr. Heine became a faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh and an investigator at the Magee Women’s Research Institute. During this time he served as Resident Research Coordinator and Associate MFM fellowship director prior to his move to Duke University.
His current clinical and research interests focus on the role of infection and inflammation in preterm birth and other adverse pregnancy outcomes. He also has a specific interest in the use of immunizations in pregnancy for both the prevention of disease in the mother and the newborn.
Education and Training
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1991 - 1993
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1990 - 1991
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1986 - 1990
- M.D., Texas Tech University of Health Science Nursing, 1986
Selected Grants and Awards
- RTOP 2018 CISA 01 Flublok Lead Base
- RTOP 2018 CISA 01 Flublok Lead Task 1
- VTEU Task C Option 1 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 4 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 3 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU 12-0021 Task C - Base
- VTEU Task C Option 2 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- CISA: 2015 CISA 03 - Lead Site Base Task: Maternal Tdap and IIV Study (Lead)
- VTEU 12-0021 - Task C Option 1
- CISA Task Order No. 3 Tdap Safety in Pregnant Women
- Role of GRK6-Mediated Oxytocin Receptor Desensitization in Labor
- Effectiveness of a Vaccination Program in the Community ObGyn Setting
- 09-0056 A Phase II Study in Pregnant Women to Assess H1N1 Vaccine
- A randomized double-blind trial on the safety and immunogenicity of inactivated trivalent influenza vaccine in pregnant
Villers, M, Grimsley, A, James, A, Heine, RP, Cooper, A, and Swamy, G. "512: Collaboration of care improves outcomes among pregnant women with iron deficiency anemia." January 2016.
Patel, E, Grotegut, C, Heine, RP, Staats, J, Antczak, B, Weaver, K, Weinhold, K, and Swamy, G. "80: T-follicular helper (Tfh) cell expansion varies by trimester after influenza vaccination in pregnancy." January 2016.
Grotegut, CA, Chisholm, CA, Johnson, LNC, Brown, HL, Heine, RP, and James, AH. "Correction: Medical and Obstetric Complications among Pregnant Women Aged 45 and Older." PloS one 11, no. 3 (January 2016): e0151307-.
Dotters-Katz, SK, Feldman, C, Puechl, A, Grotegut, CA, and Heine, RP. "Risk factors for post-operative wound infection in the setting of chorioamnionitis and cesarean delivery." The Journal of Maternal Fetal & Neonatal Medicine : the Official Journal of the European Association of Perinatal Medicine, the Federation of Asia and Oceania Perinatal Societies, the International Society of Perinatal Obstetricians 29, no. 10 (January 2016): 1541-1545.
Patil, AS, Swamy, GK, Murtha, AP, Heine, RP, Zheng, X, and Grotegut, CA. "Progesterone Metabolites Produced by Cytochrome P450 3A Modulate Uterine Contractility in a Murine Model." Reproductive Sciences (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) 22, no. 12 (December 2015): 1577-1586.
Wheeler, SM, Dotters-Katz, S, Heine, RP, Grotegut, CA, and Swamy, GK. "Maternal Effects of Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection during Pregnancy." Emerging Infectious Diseases 21, no. 11 (November 2015): 1951-1955.
Ahmadzia, HK, Patel, EM, Joshi, D, Liao, C, Witter, F, Heine, RP, and Coleman, JS. "Obstetric Surgical Site Infections: 2 Grams Compared With 3 Grams of Cefazolin in Morbidly Obese Women." Obstetrics and Gynecology 126, no. 4 (October 2015): 708-715.
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS COMMITTEE ON FETUS AND NEWBORN, , and AMERICAN COLLEGE OF OBSTETRICIANS AND GYNECOLOGISTS COMMITTEE ON OBSTETRIC PRACTICE, . "The Apgar Score." Pediatrics 136, no. 4 (October 2015): 819-822.
Dotters-Katz, SK, Patel, E, Grotegut, CA, and Heine, RP. "Acute infectious morbidity in multiple gestation." Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology 2015 (January 5, 2015): 173261-null.