Ahmadzia, HK, Thomas, SM, Heine, RP, Murtha, AP, and Brancazio, LR. "Survey of peripartum hysterectomy experiences: anticipated, unplanned, or averted." Obstetrics and gynecology 123 Suppl 1 (May 2014): 134S-.
Robert Phillips Heine, MD
Dr. R. Phillips Heine is a Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Pediatrics at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC. He currently serves as the Director of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Vice Chair for Administration Affairs, and Medical Director for the Women’s Clinical Services Unit (CSU) in the Duke University Health System.
Dr. Heine completed his clinical training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of North Carolina during which time he developed an academic interest regarding infection and its role in women’s reproductive health and specifically adverse pregnancy outcome. He subsequently completed a Sexually Transmitted Diseases research fellowship in the laboratories of Fred Sparling and Priscilla Wyrick at the University of North Carolina and went on to complete a Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellowship at the University of Colorado. After fellowship Dr. Heine became a faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh and an investigator at the Magee Women’s Research Institute. During this time he served as Resident Research Coordinator and Associate MFM fellowship director prior to his move to Duke University.
His current clinical and research interests focus on the role of infection and inflammation in preterm birth and other adverse pregnancy outcomes. He also has a specific interest in the use of immunizations in pregnancy for both the prevention of disease in the mother and the newborn.
Education and Training
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1991 - 1993
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1990 - 1991
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1986 - 1990
- M.D., Texas Tech University of Health Science Nursing, 1986
Selected Grants and Awards
- RTOP 2018 CISA 01 Flublok Lead Base
- RTOP 2018 CISA 01 Flublok Lead Task 1
- VTEU Task C Option 1 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 4 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 3 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU 12-0021 Task C - Base
- VTEU Task C Option 2 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- CISA: 2015 CISA 03 - Lead Site Base Task: Maternal Tdap and IIV Study (Lead)
- VTEU 12-0021 - Task C Option 1
- CISA Task Order No. 3 Tdap Safety in Pregnant Women
- Role of GRK6-Mediated Oxytocin Receptor Desensitization in Labor
- Effectiveness of a Vaccination Program in the Community ObGyn Setting
- 09-0056 A Phase II Study in Pregnant Women to Assess H1N1 Vaccine
- A randomized double-blind trial on the safety and immunogenicity of inactivated trivalent influenza vaccine in pregnant
Murtha, AP, Fortner, KB, Grotegut, CA, Ransom, CE, Bentley, RC, Feng, L, Lan, L, Heine, RP, and Seed, PC. "Bacteria Localization and Chorion Thinning among Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes." Plos One (January 8, 2014). (Academic Article)
Murtha, A, Fortner, K, Antczak, B, Thompson, J, Heine, RP, Brown, H, and Seed, P. "11: Fetal membrane microbiota is altered in preterm premature rupture of membranes." January 2014.
Patil, A, Swamy, G, Murtha, A, Heine, RP, and Grotegut, C. "724: Fetal metabolism of progesterone: effect of proposed metabolites on uterine contractility." January 2014.
Grotegut, C, Mao, L, Heine, RP, Murtha, A, and Rockman, H. "748: Mice lacking G protein-coupled receptor kinase 6 (GRK6) exhibit an enhanced uterine contractile phenotype resulting in stillbirth." January 2014.
Kraus, DM, Feng, L, Heine, RP, Brown, HL, Caron, KM, Murtha, AP, and Grotegut, CA. "Cigarette smoke-induced placental adrenomedullin expression and trophoblast cell invasion." Reprod Sci 21, no. 1 (January 2014): 63-71.
Grotegut, CA, Kuklina, EV, Anstrom, KJ, Heine, RP, Callaghan, WM, Myers, ER, and James, AH. "Factors associated with the change in prevalence of cardiomyopathy at delivery in the period 2000-2009: A population-based prevalence study." BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 121, no. 11 (2014): 1386-1394.
Grotegut, CA, Chisholm, CA, Johnson, LNC, Brown, HL, Heine, RP, and James, AH. "Medical and obstetric complications among pregnant women aged 45 and older." PloS one 9, no. 4 (January 2014): e96237-.
Ahmadzia, HK, Heine, RP, and Brown, HL. "GBS screening: An update on guidelines and methods." Contemporary Ob/Gyn 58, no. 7 (December 1, 2013): 40-46.
Grotegut, CA, Gunatilake, RP, Feng, L, Heine, RP, and Murtha, AP. "The influence of maternal body mass index on myometrial oxytocin receptor expression in pregnancy." Reproductive Sciences (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) 20, no. 12 (December 2013): 1471-1477.