Canzoneri, BJ, Feng, L, Grotegut, CA, Bentley, RC, Heine, RP, and Murtha, AP. "The chorion layer of fetal membranes is prematurely destroyed in women with preterm premature rupture of the membranes." Reprod Sci 20, no. 10 (October 2013): 1246-1254.
Robert Phillips Heine, MD
Dr. R. Phillips Heine is a Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Pediatrics at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC. He currently serves as the Director of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Vice Chair for Administration Affairs, and Medical Director for the Women’s Clinical Services Unit (CSU) in the Duke University Health System.
Dr. Heine completed his clinical training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of North Carolina during which time he developed an academic interest regarding infection and its role in women’s reproductive health and specifically adverse pregnancy outcome. He subsequently completed a Sexually Transmitted Diseases research fellowship in the laboratories of Fred Sparling and Priscilla Wyrick at the University of North Carolina and went on to complete a Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellowship at the University of Colorado. After fellowship Dr. Heine became a faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh and an investigator at the Magee Women’s Research Institute. During this time he served as Resident Research Coordinator and Associate MFM fellowship director prior to his move to Duke University.
His current clinical and research interests focus on the role of infection and inflammation in preterm birth and other adverse pregnancy outcomes. He also has a specific interest in the use of immunizations in pregnancy for both the prevention of disease in the mother and the newborn.
Education and Training
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1991 - 1993
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1990 - 1991
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1986 - 1990
- M.D., Texas Tech University of Health Science Nursing, 1986
Selected Grants and Awards
- RTOP 2018 CISA 01 Flublok Lead Base
- RTOP 2018 CISA 01 Flublok Lead Task 1
- VTEU Task C Option 1 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 4 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 3 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU 12-0021 Task C - Base
- VTEU Task C Option 2 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- CISA: 2015 CISA 03 - Lead Site Base Task: Maternal Tdap and IIV Study (Lead)
- VTEU 12-0021 - Task C Option 1
- CISA Task Order No. 3 Tdap Safety in Pregnant Women
- Role of GRK6-Mediated Oxytocin Receptor Desensitization in Labor
- Effectiveness of a Vaccination Program in the Community ObGyn Setting
- 09-0056 A Phase II Study in Pregnant Women to Assess H1N1 Vaccine
- A randomized double-blind trial on the safety and immunogenicity of inactivated trivalent influenza vaccine in pregnant
Dotters-Katz, SK, Kuller, J, and Heine, RP. "Arthropod-borne bacterial diseases in pregnancy." Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey 68, no. 9 (September 2013): 635-649. (Review)
Munoz, FM, Sheffield, JS, Beigi, RH, Read, JS, Swamy, GK, Jevaji, I, Rasmussen, SA, Edwards, KM, Fortner, KB, Patel, SM, Spong, CY, Ault, K, Heine, RP, and Nesin, M. "Research on vaccines during pregnancy: protocol design and assessment of safety." Vaccine 31, no. 40 (September 2013): 4274-4279.
Sheffield, JS, Munoz, FM, Beigi, RH, Rasmussen, SA, Edwards, KM, Read, JS, Heine, RP, Ault, KA, Swamy, GK, Jevaji, I, Spong, CY, Fortner, KB, Patel, SM, and Nesin, M. "Research on vaccines during pregnancy: reference values for vital signs and laboratory assessments." Vaccine 31, no. 40 (September 2013): 4264-4273.
Kraus, D, Feng, L, Heine, RP, Brown, H, Murtha, A, and Grotegut, C. "43: Smoking and preeclamspia protection: cigarette smoke increases placental adrenomedullin expression and improves trophoblast invasion via the adrenomedullin pathway." January 2013.
Garcia-Putnam, R, Heine, RP, Walter, E, Rock, M, Edwards, K, and Swamy, G. "Effect of timing of influenza vaccination in pregnancy on maternal and cord blood antibody titers." January 2013.
Dotters-Katz, SK, Heine, RP, and Grotegut, CA. "Medical and infectious complications associated with pyelonephritis among pregnant women at delivery." Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology 2013 (January 2013): 124102-null.
Grotegut, C, Chisholm, C, Heine, RP, Brown, H, and James, A. "Pregnancy complications in women aged 50 years and older." January 2013.
Murtha, A, Antczak, B, Grotegut, C, Heine, RP, Brown, H, and Swamy, G. "Relationship of placental inflammation and progesterone in the setting or preterm birth." January 2013.
Sheffield, JS, Munoz, FM, Beigi, RH, Rasmussen, SA, Edwards, KM, Read, JS, Heine, RP, Ault, KA, Swamy, GK, Jevaji, I, Spong, CY, Fortner, KB, Patel, SM, and Nesin, M. "Research on vaccines during pregnancy: Reference values for vital signs and laboratory assessments." Vaccine 31, no. 40 (2013): 4264-4273.