Dotters-Katz, S, Kuller, J, and Heine, RP. "Parasitic infections in pregnancy." Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey 66, no. 8 (August 2011): 515-525. (Review)
Robert Phillips Heine, MD
Dr. R. Phillips Heine is a Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Pediatrics at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC. He currently serves as the Director of the Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Vice Chair for Administration Affairs, and Medical Director for the Women’s Clinical Services Unit (CSU) in the Duke University Health System.
Dr. Heine completed his clinical training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of North Carolina during which time he developed an academic interest regarding infection and its role in women’s reproductive health and specifically adverse pregnancy outcome. He subsequently completed a Sexually Transmitted Diseases research fellowship in the laboratories of Fred Sparling and Priscilla Wyrick at the University of North Carolina and went on to complete a Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellowship at the University of Colorado. After fellowship Dr. Heine became a faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh and an investigator at the Magee Women’s Research Institute. During this time he served as Resident Research Coordinator and Associate MFM fellowship director prior to his move to Duke University.
His current clinical and research interests focus on the role of infection and inflammation in preterm birth and other adverse pregnancy outcomes. He also has a specific interest in the use of immunizations in pregnancy for both the prevention of disease in the mother and the newborn.
Education and Training
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1991 - 1993
- Fellow, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1990 - 1991
- Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, 1986 - 1990
- M.D., Texas Tech University of Health Science Nursing, 1986
Selected Grants and Awards
- VTEU Task C Option 1 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 4 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU Task C Option 3 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- VTEU 12-0021 Task C - Base
- VTEU Task C Option 2 - FY.2017.B2C2D2.0053
- CISA: 2015 CISA 03 - Lead Site Base Task: Maternal Tdap and IIV Study (Lead)
- VTEU 12-0021 - Task C Option 1
- CISA Task Order No. 3 Tdap Safety in Pregnant Women
- Role of GRK6-Mediated Oxytocin Receptor Desensitization in Labor
- Effectiveness of a Vaccination Program in the Community ObGyn Setting
- 09-0056 A Phase II Study in Pregnant Women to Assess H1N1 Vaccine
- A randomized double-blind trial on the safety and immunogenicity of inactivated trivalent influenza vaccine in pregnant
Grotegut, CA, Johnson, LNC, Fitzpatrick, CB, Heine, RP, Swamy, GK, and Murtha, AP. "Bleeding per vaginam is associated with funisitis in women with preterm prelabour rupture of the fetal membranes." BJOG 118, no. 6 (May 2011): 735-740.
Grotegut, CA, Feng, L, Mao, L, Heine, RP, Murtha, AP, and Rockman, HA. "β-Arrestin mediates oxytocin receptor signaling, which regulates uterine contractility and cellular migration." Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 300, no. 3 (March 2011): E468-E477.
Gunatilake, R, Feng, L, Swamy, G, Heine, RP, Murtha, A, and Grotegut, C. "318: Oxytocin receptor expression in uterine myometrium is not influenced by body mass index." January 2011.
Murtha, A, Grotegut, C, Heine, RP, and Feng, L. "46: Progesterone receptor membrane component 1 (PGRMC1) inhibits Ca2+ mediated cell death in human cytotrophoblast cells." January 2011.
Ransom, CE, Chin, JR, Roeder, HA, Sinclair, TR, Heine, RP, and Murtha, AP. "The influence of prior obstetrical history on current 17-hydroxyprogesterone caproate use." J Pregnancy 2011 (2011): 286483-.
Canzoneri, BJ, Ellestad, SC, Brancazio, LR, Evans, AK, Grotegut, CA, Fitzpatrick, B, Reddick, K, Beiswenger, TR, Small, M, Boyd, BK, and Heine, RP. "P38.03: Prenatal diagnosis of an obstructing enterogenous cyst." Ultrasound in obstetrics & gynecology : the official journal of the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology 32, no. 3 (August 2008): 442-. (Academic Article)
Ellestad, SC, Swamy, GK, Sinclair, T, James, AH, Heine, RP, and Murtha, AP. "Preterm premature rupture of membrane management--inpatient versus outpatient: a retrospective review." Am J Perinatol 25, no. 1 (January 2008): 69-73.
Pollak, KI, Oncken, CA, Lipkus, IM, Lyna, P, Swamy, GK, Pletsch, PK, Peterson, BL, Heine, RP, Brouwer, RJN, Fish, L, and Myers, ER. "Nicotine replacement and behavioral therapy for smoking cessation in pregnancy." Am J Prev Med 33, no. 4 (October 2007): 297-305.
Simhan, HN, Anderson, BL, Krohn, MA, Heine, RP, Martinez de Tejada, B, Landers, DV, and Hillier, SL. "Host immune consequences of asymptomatic Trichomonas vaginalis infection in pregnancy." Am J Obstet Gynecol 196, no. 1 (January 2007): 59.e1-59.e5.