Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Sikdar, Sinjini, Roby Joehanes, Bonnie R. Joubert, Cheng-Jian Xu, Marta Vives-Usano, Faisal I. Rezwan, Janine F. Felix, et al. “Comparison of smoking-related DNA methylation between newborns from prenatal exposure and adults from personal smoking..” Epigenomics 11, no. 13 (October 2019): 1487–1500. https://doi.org/10.2217/epi-2019-0066.
Schrott, Rose, Kelly Acharya, Nilda Itchon-Ramos, Andrew B. Hawkey, Erica Pippen, John T. Mitchell, Scott H. Kollins, Edward D. Levin, and Susan K. Murphy. “Cannabis use is associated with potentially heritable widespread changes in autism candidate gene DLGAP2 DNA methylation in sperm..” Epigenetics, August 26, 2019, 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1080/15592294.2019.1656158.
House, John S., Jonathan Hall, Sarah S. Park, Antonio Planchart, Eric Money, Rachel L. Maguire, Zhiqing Huang, et al. “Cadmium exposure and MEG3 methylation differences between Whites and African Americans in the NEST Cohort..” Environ Epigenet 5, no. 3 (July 2019). https://doi.org/10.1093/eep/dvz014.
Hansen, Landon J., Ran Sun, Rui Yang, Simranjit X. Singh, Lee H. Chen, Christopher J. Pirozzi, Casey J. Moure, et al. “MTAP Loss Promotes Stemness in Glioblastoma and Confers Unique Susceptibility to Purine Starvation..” Cancer Res 79, no. 13 (July 1, 2019): 3383–94. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-18-1010.
Hawkey, Andrew B., Hannah White, Erica Pippen, Eva Greengrove, Amir H. Rezvani, Susan K. Murphy, and Edward D. Levin. “Paternal nicotine exposure in rats produces long-lasting neurobehavioral effects in the offspring..” Neurotoxicol Teratol 74 (July 2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ntt.2019.05.001.
Reese, Sarah E., Cheng-Jian Xu, Herman T. den Dekker, Mi Kyeong Lee, Sinjini Sikdar, Carlos Ruiz-Arenas, Simon K. Merid, et al. “Epigenome-wide meta-analysis of DNA methylation and childhood asthma..” J Allergy Clin Immunol 143, no. 6 (June 2019): 2062–74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2018.11.043.
Meekins, A Rebecca, Susan K. Murphy, Carole Grenier, Zhiqing Huang, Megan S. Bradley, Cindy L. Amundsen, Jennifer Wu, and Nazema Y. Siddiqui. “Role of β-3 adrenergic receptor polymorphism in overactive bladder..” Neurourol Urodyn 38, no. 5 (June 2019): 1261–65. https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.24006.