Acharya, K. S., R. Schrott, C. Grenier, Z. Huang, Z. Holloway, A. Hawkey, E. D. Levin, and S. K. Murphy. “Epigenetic alterations in cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase (Por) in sperm of rats exposed to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).” In Scientific Reports, Vol. 10, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-69204-7.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
My research interests are largely centered around epigenetics and the role of epigenetic modifications in health and disease. My research projects include studies of gynecologic malignancies, including working on approaches to target ovarian cancer cells that survive chemotherapy and later give rise to recurrent disease. I have ongoing collaborative projects in which we investigate the nature of the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (DOHaD) hypothesis. DOHaD reflects the idea that our early environment plays an important part in shaping our risk of developing neurodevelopmental disorders or other chronic health problems. I am currently focused on preconception exposures in males with studies of the impact of cannabis use on the sperm epigenome and heritability of these effects. My lab is also working on the effects of in utero exposures, with our primary work revolving around the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST), a mother-infant dyad cohort recruited from central North Carolina between 2005 and 2011 and whom we have followed since early pregnancy.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina - Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke Women's Reproductive Health Research Scholars
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Grant
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate cancer
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on the early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes and Rapid Weight Gain in Early Life
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Ksinan, Albert J., Yaou Sheng, Elizabeth K. Do, Julia C. Schechter, Junfeng Jim Zhang, Rachel L. Maguire, Cathrine Hoyo, et al. “Identifying the best questions for rapid screening of secondhand smoke exposure among children.” Nicotine & Tobacco Research : Official Journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, November 29, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntaa254.
Neumann, Alexander, Esther Walton, Silvia Alemany, Charlotte Cecil, Juan Ramon González, Dereje D. Jima, Jari Lahti, et al. “Association between DNA methylation and ADHD symptoms from birth to school age: a prospective meta-analysis.” Transl Psychiatry 10, no. 1 (November 12, 2020): 398. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41398-020-01058-z.
York, Timothy P., Shawn J. Latendresse, Colleen Jackson-Cook, Dana M. Lapato, Sara Moyer, Aaron R. Wolen, Roxann Roberson-Nay, et al. “Replicated umbilical cord blood DNA methylation loci associated with gestational age at birth.” Epigenetics 15, no. 11 (November 2020): 1243–58. https://doi.org/10.1080/15592294.2020.1767277.
Holloway, Zade R., Andrew B. Hawkey, Alexandra K. Torres, Janequia Evans, Erica Pippen, Hannah White, Vaishnavi Katragadda, et al. “Paternal cannabis extract exposure in rats: Preconception timing effects on neurodevelopmental behavior in offspring.” Neurotoxicology 81 (October 19, 2020): 180–88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuro.2020.10.007.
Huang, Zhiqing, Eiji Kondoh, Zachary R. Visco, Tsukasa Baba, Noriomi Matsumura, Emma Dolan, Regina S. Whitaker, et al. “Targeting dormant ovarian cancer cells in vitro and in an in vivo mouse model of platinum resistance.” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, October 9, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.mct-20-0119.
Schrott, Rose, Maya Rajavel, Kelly Acharya, Zhiqing Huang, Chaitanya Acharya, Andrew Hawkey, Erica Pippen, H Kim Lyerly, Edward D. Levin, and Susan K. Murphy. “Sperm DNA methylation altered by THC and nicotine: Vulnerability of neurodevelopmental genes with bivalent chromatin.” Sci Rep 10, no. 1 (September 29, 2020): 16022. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-72783-0.
Acharya, Kelly S., Rose Schrott, Carole Grenier, Zhiqing Huang, Zade Holloway, Andrew Hawkey, Edward D. Levin, and Susan K. Murphy. “Epigenetic alterations in cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase (Por) in sperm of rats exposed to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).” Sci Rep 10, no. 1 (July 23, 2020): 12251. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-69204-7.
Fuemmeler, Bernard F., Yaou Sheng, Julia C. Schechter, Elizabeth Do, Nancy Zucker, Alesha Majors, Rachel Maguire, Susan K. Murphy, Cathrine Hoyo, and Scott H. Kollins. “Associations between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms and eating behaviors in early childhood.” Pediatr Obes 15, no. 7 (July 2020): e12631. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijpo.12631.
Schechter, Julia, Elizabeth K. Do, Junfeng Jim Zhang, Cathrine Hoyo, Susan K. Murphy, Scott H. Kollins, and Bernard Fuemmeler. “Effect of Prenatal Smoke Exposure on Birth Weight: The Moderating Role of Maternal Depressive Symptoms.” Nicotine Tob Res 22, no. 1 (January 27, 2020): 40–47. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/nty267.