Murphy, SK, Huang, Z, and Hoyo, C. "Differentially methylated regions of imprinted genes in prenatal, perinatal and postnatal human tissues." Plos One 7, no. 7 (January 2012): e40924-null.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke KURe Program
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Hoyo, C, Murphy, SK, Schildkraut, JM, Vidal, AC, Skaar, D, Millikan, RC, Galanko, J, Sandler, RS, Jirtle, R, and Keku, T. "IGF2R genetic variants, circulating IGF2 concentrations and colon cancer risk in African Americans and Whites." Disease Markers 32, no. 2 (January 2012): 133-141.
Yamamura, S, Matsumura, N, Mandai, M, Huang, Z, Oura, T, Baba, T, Hamanishi, J, Yamaguchi, K, Kang, HS, Okamoto, T, Abiko, K, Mori, S, Murphy, SK, and Konishi, I. "The activated transforming growth factor-beta signaling pathway in peritoneal metastases is a potential therapeutic target in ovarian cancer." Int J Cancer 130, no. 1 (January 1, 2012): 20-28.
Skaar, DA, Li, Y, Bernal, AJ, Hoyo, C, Murphy, SK, and Jirtle, RL. "The human imprintome: regulatory mechanisms, methods of ascertainment, and roles in disease susceptibility." Ilar Journal 53, no. 3-4 (January 2012): 341-358. (Review)
Murphy, SK, and Berchuck, A. "Ovarian cancer progenitor/stem cells: Therapeutic potential." (December 1, 2011): 223-244. (Chapter)
Bondurant, AE, Huang, Z, Whitaker, RS, Simel, LR, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "Quantitative detection of RASSF1A DNA promoter methylation in tumors and serum of patients with serous epithelial ovarian cancer." Gynecologic Oncology 123, no. 3 (December 2011): 581-587.
Vidal, AC, Murphy, SK, Hernandez, BY, Vasquez, B, Bartlett, JA, Oneko, O, Mlay, P, Obure, J, Overcash, F, Smith, JS, van der Kolk, M, and Hoyo, C. "Distribution of HPV genotypes in cervical intraepithelial lesions and cervical cancer in Tanzanian women. (Published online)" Infect Agent Cancer 6, no. 1 (November 14, 2011): 20-.
Alvarez Secord, A, Darcy, KM, Hutson, A, Huang, Z, Lee, PS, Jewell, EL, Havrilesky, LJ, Markman, M, Muggia, F, and Murphy, SK. "The regulation of MASPIN expression in epithelial ovarian cancer: association with p53 status, and MASPIN promoter methylation: a gynecologic oncology group study." Gynecol Oncol 123, no. 2 (November 2011): 314-319.
Soubry, A, Murphy, S, Huang, Z, Murtha, A, Schildkraut, J, Jirtle, R, Wang, F, Kurtzberg, J, Demark-Wahnefried, W, Forman, M, and Hoyo, C. "The effects of depression and use of antidepressive medicines during pregnancy on the methylation status of the IGF2 imprinted control regions in the offspring. (Published online)" Clin Epigenetics 3 (October 26, 2011): 2-.
Hoyo, C, Murtha, AP, Schildkraut, JM, Jirtle, RL, Demark-Wahnefried, W, Forman, MR, Iversen, ES, Kurtzberg, J, Overcash, F, Huang, Z, and Murphy, SK. "Methylation variation at IGF2 differentially methylated regions and maternal folic acid use before and during pregnancy." Epigenetics 6, no. 7 (July 2011): 928-936.