Hoyo, C, Murtha, AP, Schildkraut, JM, Jirtle, RL, Demark-Wahnefried, W, Forman, MR, Iversen, ES, Kurtzberg, J, Overcash, F, Huang, Z, and Murphy, SK. "Methylation variation at IGF2 differentially methylated regions and maternal folic acid use before and during pregnancy." Epigenetics 6, no. 7 (July 2011): 928-936.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Duke KURe Program
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Zhang, A, Skaar, DA, Li, Y, Huang, D, Price, TM, Murphy, SK, and Jirtle, RL. "Novel retrotransposed imprinted locus identified at human 6p25." Nucleic Acids Res 39, no. 13 (July 2011): 5388-5400.
Soubry, A, Murphy, SK, Huang, Z, Murtha, A, Schildkraut, JM, Jirtle, RL, Wang, F, Kurtzberg, J, Demark-Wahnefried, W, Forman, M, and Hoyo, C. "Abstract 2754: Maternal use of antidepressants in pregnancy is associated with hypermethylation at the IGF2 imprinted control regions in the offspring in a race-dependent fashion." Cancer Research 71, no. 8 Supplement (April 15, 2011): 2754-2754.
Huang, Z, Yamaguchi, K, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "Abstract 3014: Quantitative accuracy of Illumina HumanMethylation27 Infinium BeadChip data assessed by pyrosequencing." Cancer Research 71, no. 8 Supplement (April 15, 2011): 3014-3014.
Teoh, D, Ayeni, TA, Rubatt, JM, Adams, DJ, Grace, L, Starr, MD, Barry, WT, Berchuck, A, Murphy, SK, and Secord, AA. "Dasatinib (BMS-35482) has synergistic activity with paclitaxel and carboplatin in ovarian cancer cells." Gynecol Oncol 121, no. 1 (April 2011): 187-192.
Kang, HS, Baba, T, Mandai, M, Matsumura, N, Hamanishi, J, Kharma, B, Kondoh, E, Yoshioka, Y, Oishi, S, Fujii, N, Murphy, SK, and Konishi, I. "GPR54 is a target for suppression of metastasis in endometrial cancer." Mol Cancer Ther 10, no. 4 (April 2011): 580-590.
Hoyo, C, Murtha, AP, Schildkraut, JM, Forman, MR, Calingaert, B, Demark-Wahnefried, W, Kurtzberg, J, Jirtle, RL, and Murphy, SK. "Folic acid supplementation before and during pregnancy in the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST). (Published online)" BMC Public Health 11, no. 1 (January 21, 2011): 46-.
Matsumura, N, Huang, Z, Mori, S, Baba, T, Fujii, S, Konishi, I, Iversen, ES, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "Epigenetic suppression of the TGF-beta pathway revealed by transcriptome profiling in ovarian cancer." Genome Res 21, no. 1 (January 2011): 74-82.
Bernal, AJ, Murphy, SK, and Jirtle, RL. "Mouse models of epigenetic inheritance." Handbook of Epigenetics (2011): 233-249.
Matsumura, N, Mandai, M, Okamoto, T, Yamaguchi, K, Yamamura, S, Oura, T, Baba, T, Hamanishi, J, Kang, HS, Matsui, S, Mori, S, Murphy, SK, and Konishi, I. "Sorafenib efficacy in ovarian clear cell carcinoma revealed by transcriptome profiling." Cancer Sci 101, no. 12 (December 2010): 2658-2663.