Hoyo, C, Murtha, AP, Schildkraut, JM, Forman, MR, Calingaert, B, Demark-Wahnefried, W, Kurtzberg, J, Jirtle, RL, and Murphy, SK. "Folic acid supplementation before and during pregnancy in the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST)." Bmc Public Health 11, no. 1 (January 21, 2011): 46-null.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Duke KURe Program
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Matsumura, N, Huang, Z, Mori, S, Baba, T, Fujii, S, Konishi, I, Iversen, ES, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "Epigenetic suppression of the TGF-beta pathway revealed by transcriptome profiling in ovarian cancer." Genome Res 21, no. 1 (January 2011): 74-82.
Bernal, AJ, Murphy, SK, and Jirtle, RL. "Mouse models of epigenetic inheritance." Handbook of Epigenetics (2011): 233-249.
Matsumura, N, Mandai, M, Okamoto, T, Yamaguchi, K, Yamamura, S, Oura, T, Baba, T, Hamanishi, J, Kang, HS, Matsui, S, Mori, S, Murphy, SK, and Konishi, I. "Sorafenib efficacy in ovarian clear cell carcinoma revealed by transcriptome profiling." Cancer Sci 101, no. 12 (December 2010): 2658-2663.
Bernardini, MQ, Baba, T, Lee, PS, Barnett, JC, Sfakianos, GP, Secord, AA, Murphy, SK, Iversen, E, Marks, JR, and Berchuck, A. "Expression signatures of TP53 mutations in serous ovarian cancers. (Published online)" BMC Cancer 10 (May 26, 2010): 237-.
Kondoh, E, Mori, S, Yamaguchi, K, Baba, T, Matsumura, N, Cory Barnett, J, Whitaker, RS, Konishi, I, Fujii, S, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "Targeting slow-proliferating ovarian cancer cells." Int J Cancer 126, no. 10 (May 15, 2010): 2448-2456.
Lee, PS, Teaberry, VS, Bland, AE, Huang, Z, Whitaker, RS, Baba, T, Fujii, S, Secord, AA, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "Elevated MAL expression is accompanied by promoter hypomethylation and platinum resistance in epithelial ovarian cancer." Int J Cancer 126, no. 6 (March 15, 2010): 1378-1389.
Yamaguchi, K, Mandai, M, Oura, T, Matsumura, N, Hamanishi, J, Baba, T, Matsui, S, Murphy, SK, and Konishi, I. "Identification of an ovarian clear cell carcinoma gene signature that reflects inherent disease biology and the carcinogenic processes." Oncogene 29, no. 12 (March 2010): 1741-1752.
Barnett, JC, Bean, SM, Whitaker, RS, Kondoh, E, Baba, T, Fujii, S, Marks, JR, Dressman, HK, Murphy, SK, and Berchuck, A. "Ovarian cancer tumor infiltrating T-regulatory (T(reg)) cells are associated with a metastatic phenotype." Gynecol Oncol 116, no. 3 (March 2010): 556-562.
Murphy, SK. "Targeting ovarian cancer-initiating cells." Anticancer Agents Med Chem 10, no. 2 (February 2010): 157-163. (Review)