Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Yamaguchi, K., T. Baba, I. Konishi, N. Matsumura, S. Murphy, Z. Huang, and A. Berchuck. “Genes functionally regulated by methylation in ovarian cancer are involved in cell proliferation, development and morphogenesis.” Gynecologic Oncology 120 (March 2011): S69–S69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2010.12.165.
Yamaguchi, K., T. Baba, N. Matsumura, M. Mandai, I. Konishi, A. Berchuck, and S. Murphy. “Genomewide methylation analyses reveal a prominent role of HINF1 network genes, via hypomethylation, in ovarian clear cell carcinoma.” Gynecologic Oncology 120 (March 2011): S8–S8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2010.12.021.
Hoyo, Cathrine, Amy P. Murtha, Joellen M. Schildkraut, Michele R. Forman, Brian Calingaert, Wendy Demark-Wahnefried, Joanne Kurtzberg, Randy L. Jirtle, and Susan K. Murphy. “Folic acid supplementation before and during pregnancy in the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST)..” Bmc Public Health 11, no. 1 (January 21, 2011). https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-46.
Matsumura, Noriomi, Zhiqing Huang, Seiichi Mori, Tsukasa Baba, Shingo Fujii, Ikuo Konishi, Edwin S. Iversen, Andrew Berchuck, and Susan K. Murphy. “Epigenetic suppression of the TGF-beta pathway revealed by transcriptome profiling in ovarian cancer..” Genome Res 21, no. 1 (January 2011): 74–82. https://doi.org/10.1101/gr.108803.110.
Matsumura, Noriomi, Masaki Mandai, Takako Okamoto, Ken Yamaguchi, Shogo Yamamura, Tomonori Oura, Tsukasa Baba, et al. “Sorafenib efficacy in ovarian clear cell carcinoma revealed by transcriptome profiling..” Cancer Sci 101, no. 12 (December 2010): 2658–63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2010.01736.x.
Bernardini, Marcus Q., Tsukasa Baba, Paula S. Lee, Jason C. Barnett, Gregory P. Sfakianos, Angeles Alvarez Secord, Susan K. Murphy, Edwin Iversen, Jeffrey R. Marks, and Andrew Berchuck. “Expression signatures of TP53 mutations in serous ovarian cancers..” Bmc Cancer 10 (May 26, 2010). https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-237.
Yamaguchi, K., M. Mandai, T. Oura, N. Matsumura, J. Hamanishi, T. Baba, S. Matsui, S. K. Murphy, and I. Konishi. “Identification of an ovarian clear cell carcinoma gene signature that reflects inherent disease biology and the carcinogenic processes..” Oncogene 29, no. 12 (March 25, 2010): 1741–52. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2009.470.