Lee, Paula S., Vanessa S. Teaberry, Amy E. Bland, Zhiqing Huang, Regina S. Whitaker, Tsukasa Baba, Shingo Fujii, Angeles Alvarez Secord, Andrew Berchuck, and Susan K. Murphy. “Elevated MAL expression is accompanied by promoter hypomethylation and platinum resistance in epithelial ovarian cancer..” Int J Cancer 126, no. 6 (March 15, 2010): 1378–89. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24797.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Sfakianos, G., K. Yamaguchi, S. Murphy, and A. Berchuck. “Gene expression profiling of invasive serous ovarian cancers from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues using DASL.” Gynecologic Oncology 116, no. 3 (March 1, 2010): S136–37.
Baba, T., H. Kang, M. Mandai, J. Hamanishi, B. Kharma, N. Matsumura, K. Yamaguchi, S. Murphy, and I. Konishi. “Metastin-10 suppresses invasion of endometrial cancer cells.” In Gynecologic Oncology, 116:S76–S76. ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE, 2010.
Barnett, Jason C., Sarah M. Bean, Regina S. Whitaker, Eiji Kondoh, Tsukasa Baba, Shingo Fujii, Jeffrey R. Marks, Holly K. Dressman, Susan K. Murphy, and Andrew Berchuck. “Ovarian cancer tumor infiltrating T-regulatory (T(reg)) cells are associated with a metastatic phenotype..” Gynecol Oncol 116, no. 3 (March 2010): 556–62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2009.11.020.
Murphy, S., F. Overcash, Z. Huang, B. Vasquez, B. Hernandez, J. Obure, P. Mlay, O. Olola, J. Bartlett, and C. Hoyo. “Progressive epigenetic deregulation of insulin-like growth factor 2 in cervical cancer precursors in HIV plus and HIV- patients.” In Gynecologic Oncology, 116:S38–S38. ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE, 2010.
Matsumura, N., M. Mandai, T. Okamoto, K. Yamaguchi, T. Oura, T. Baba, S. Mori, S. Murphy, and I. Konishi. “Sorafenib efficacy in ovarian clear cell carcinoma revealed by transcriptome profiling.” In Gynecologic Oncology, 116:S155–S155. ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE, 2010.
Barnett, Jason C., Sarah M. Bean, John M. Nakayama, Eiji Kondoh, Susan K. Murphy, and Andrew Berchuck. “High poly(adenosine diphosphate-ribose) polymerase expression and poor survival in advanced-stage serous ovarian cancer..” Obstet Gynecol 115, no. 1 (January 2010): 49–54. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e3181c2d294.
Fortner, Kimberly, Amy Murtha, Cathrine Hoyo, Francine Overcash, Zhiquing Huang, Joellen Schildkraut, Joanne Kurtzberg, Randy Jirtle, Michele Forman, and Susan Murphy. “70: Epigenetic orchestration of circulating insulin-like growth factor-2 levels in cord blood.” In American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 201:S39–S39. Elsevier BV, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2009.10.085.
Hoyo, Cathrine, Joellen M. Schildkraut, Susan K. Murphy, Wong-Ho Chow, Thomas L. Vaughan, Harvey Risch, Jeffrey R. Marks, et al. “IGF2R polymorphisms and risk of esophageal and gastric adenocarcinomas..” Int J Cancer 125, no. 11 (December 1, 2009): 2673–78. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24623.