Baba, T, Convey, P, Matsumura, N, Whitaker, RS, Perry, T, Huang, Z, Mori, S, Kondoh, E, Bentley, RC, Fujii, S, Berchuck, A, Murphy, SK, and Marks, JR. "Stem cell marker CD133 (PROMININ-1) is epigenetically regulated in ovarian cancer." 2008.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Duke KURe Program
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
O'Sullivan, FM, Murphy, SK, Simel, LR, McCann, A, Callanan, JJ, and Nolan, CM. "Imprinted expression of the canine IGF2R, in the absence of an anti-sense transcript or promoter methylation." Evol Dev 9, no. 6 (November 2007): 579-589.
Baba, T, Mori, S, Matsumura, N, Kariya, M, Murphy, SK, Kondoh, E, Kusakari, T, Kuroda, H, Mandai, M, Higuchi, T, Takakura, K, Fukuda, MN, and Fujii, S. "Trophinin is a potent prognostic marker of ovarian cancer involved in platinum sensitivity." Biochem Biophys Res Commun 360, no. 2 (August 24, 2007): 363-369.
Hempel, N, How, T, Dong, M, Murphy, SK, Fields, TA, and Blobe, GC. "Loss of betaglycan expression in ovarian cancer: role in motility and invasion." Cancer Research 67, no. 11 (June 2007): 5231-5238.
Spillman, MA, Lacy, J, Murphy, SK, Whitaker, RS, Grace, L, Teaberry, V, Marks, JR, and Berchuck, A. "Regulation of the metastasis suppressor gene MKK4 in ovarian cancer." Gynecol Oncol 105, no. 2 (May 2007): 312-320.
Price, TM, Murphy, SK, and Younglai, EV. "Perspectives: the possible influence of assisted reproductive technologies on transgenerational reproductive effects of environmental endocrine disruptors." Toxicol Sci 96, no. 2 (April 2007): 218-226. (Review)
Risinger, JI, Chandramouli, GVR, Maxwell, GL, Custer, M, Pack, S, Loukinov, D, Aprelikova, O, Litzi, T, Schrump, DS, Murphy, SK, Berchuck, A, Lobanenkov, V, and Barrett, JC. "Global expression analysis of cancer/testis genes in uterine cancers reveals a high incidence of BORIS expression." Clin Cancer Res 13, no. 6 (March 15, 2007): 1713-1719.
Schildkraut, JM, Murphy, SK, Palmieri, RT, Iversen, E, Moorman, PG, Huang, Z, Halabi, S, Calingaert, B, Gusberg, A, Marks, JR, and Berchuck, A. "Trinucleotide repeat polymorphisms in the androgen receptor gene and risk of ovarian cancer." Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16, no. 3 (March 2007): 473-480.
Goh, L, Murphy, SK, Muhkerjee, S, and Furey, TS. "Genomic sweeping for hypermethylated genes." Bioinformatics 23, no. 3 (February 1, 2007): 281-288.
Weidman, JR, Dolinoy, DC, Murphy, SK, and Jirtle, RL. "Cancer susceptibility: epigenetic manifestation of environmental exposures." Cancer Journal (Sudbury, Mass.) 13, no. 1 (January 2007): 9-16. (Review)