Price, TM, Murphy, SK, and Younglai, EV. "Perspectives: the possible influence of assisted reproductive technologies on transgenerational reproductive effects of environmental endocrine disruptors." Toxicol Sci 96, no. 2 (April 2007): 218-226. (Review)
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Duke KURe Program
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Risinger, JI, Chandramouli, GVR, Maxwell, GL, Custer, M, Pack, S, Loukinov, D, Aprelikova, O, Litzi, T, Schrump, DS, Murphy, SK, Berchuck, A, Lobanenkov, V, and Barrett, JC. "Global expression analysis of cancer/testis genes in uterine cancers reveals a high incidence of BORIS expression." Clin Cancer Res 13, no. 6 (March 15, 2007): 1713-1719.
Schildkraut, JM, Murphy, SK, Palmieri, RT, Iversen, E, Moorman, PG, Huang, Z, Halabi, S, Calingaert, B, Gusberg, A, Marks, JR, and Berchuck, A. "Trinucleotide repeat polymorphisms in the androgen receptor gene and risk of ovarian cancer." Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16, no. 3 (March 2007): 473-480.
Goh, L, Murphy, SK, Muhkerjee, S, and Furey, TS. "Genomic sweeping for hypermethylated genes." Bioinformatics 23, no. 3 (February 1, 2007): 281-288.
Weidman, JR, Dolinoy, DC, Murphy, SK, and Jirtle, RL. "Cancer susceptibility: epigenetic manifestation of environmental exposures." Cancer J 13, no. 1 (January 2007): 9-16. (Review)
Murphy, SK, Huang, Z, Wen, Y, Spillman, MA, Whitaker, RS, Simel, LR, Nichols, TD, Marks, JR, and Berchuck, A. "Frequent IGF2/H19 domain epigenetic alterations and elevated IGF2 expression in epithelial ovarian cancer." Mol Cancer Res 4, no. 4 (April 2006): 283-292.
Murphy, SK, Nolan, CM, Huang, Z, Kucera, KS, Freking, BA, Smith, TPL, Leymaster, KA, Weidman, JR, and Jirtle, RL. "Callipyge mutation affects gene expression in cis: a potential role for chromatin structure." Genome Res 16, no. 3 (March 2006): 340-346.
Huang, Z, Wen, Y, Shandilya, R, Marks, JR, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "High throughput detection of M6P/IGF2R intronic hypermethylation and LOH in ovarian cancer. (Published online)" Nucleic Acids Res 34, no. 2 (2006): 555-563.
Berchuck, A, Iversen, ES, Lancaster, JM, Pittman, J, Luo, J, Lee, P, Murphy, S, Dressman, HK, Febbo, PG, West, M, Nevins, JR, and Marks, JR. "Patterns of gene expression that characterize long-term survival in advanced stage serous ovarian cancers." Clin Cancer Res 11, no. 10 (May 15, 2005): 3686-3696.
Spillman, MA, Schildkraut, JM, Halabi, S, Moorman, P, Calingaert, B, Bentley, RC, Marks, JR, Murphy, S, and Berchuck, A. "Transforming growth factor beta receptor I polyalanine repeat polymorphism does not increase ovarian cancer risk." Gynecol Oncol 97, no. 2 (May 2005): 543-549.