Murphy, SK, Nolan, CM, Huang, Z, Kucera, KS, Freking, BA, Smith, TPL, Leymaster, KA, Weidman, JR, and Jirtle, RL. "Callipyge mutation affects gene expression in cis: a potential role for chromatin structure." Genome Res 16, no. 3 (March 2006): 340-346.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Duke KURe Program
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Huang, Z, Wen, Y, Shandilya, R, Marks, JR, Berchuck, A, and Murphy, SK. "High throughput detection of M6P/IGF2R intronic hypermethylation and LOH in ovarian cancer. (Published online)" Nucleic Acids Res 34, no. 2 (2006): 555-563.
Berchuck, A, Iversen, ES, Lancaster, JM, Pittman, J, Luo, J, Lee, P, Murphy, S, Dressman, HK, Febbo, PG, West, M, Nevins, JR, and Marks, JR. "Patterns of gene expression that characterize long-term survival in advanced stage serous ovarian cancers." Clin Cancer Res 11, no. 10 (May 15, 2005): 3686-3696.
Spillman, MA, Schildkraut, JM, Halabi, S, Moorman, P, Calingaert, B, Bentley, RC, Marks, JR, Murphy, S, and Berchuck, A. "Transforming growth factor beta receptor I polyalanine repeat polymorphism does not increase ovarian cancer risk." Gynecol Oncol 97, no. 2 (May 2005): 543-549.
Wang, W, Huper, G, Guo, Y, Murphy, SK, Olson, JA, and Marks, JR. "Analysis of methylation-sensitive transcriptome identifies GADD45a as a frequently methylated gene in breast cancer." Oncogene 24, no. 16 (April 14, 2005): 2705-2714.
Murphy, SK, Freking, BA, Smith, TPL, Leymaster, K, Nolan, CM, Wylie, AA, Evans, HK, and Jirtle, RL. "Abnormal postnatal maintenance of elevated DLK1 transcript levels in callipyge sheep." Mamm Genome 16, no. 3 (March 2005): 171-183.
Weidman, JR, Murphy, SK, Nolan, CM, Dietrich, FS, and Jirtle, RL. "Phylogenetic footprint analysis of IGF2 in extant mammals." Genome Res 14, no. 9 (September 2004): 1726-1732.
Murphy, SK, Wylie, AA, Coveler, KJ, Cotter, PD, Papenhausen, PR, Sutton, VR, Shaffer, LG, and Jirtle, RL. "Epigenetic detection of human chromosome 14 uniparental disomy." Hum Mutat 22, no. 1 (July 2003): 92-97.
Murphy, SK, and Jirtle, RL. "Imprinting evolution and the price of silence." Bioessays 25, no. 6 (June 2003): 577-588. (Review)
Dietz, LG, Wylie, AA, Rauen, KA, Murphy, SK, Jirtle, RL, and Cotter, PD. "Exclusion of maternal uniparental disomy of chromosome 14 in patients referred for Prader-Willi syndrome using a multiplex methylation polymerase chain reaction assay." J Med Genet 40, no. 4 (April 2003): e46-. (Letter)