Acharya, Kelly S., Rose Schrott, Edward Levin, and Susan K. Murphy. “Epigenetic Alterations in Cytochrome P450 Oxidoreductase (Por) in Sperm Exposed to Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).” In Reproductive Sciences, 26:92A-92A. SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC, 2019.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Fuemmeler, Bernard F., Nancy Zucker, Yaou Sheng, Carmen E. Sanchez, Rachel Maguire, Susan K. Murphy, Scott H. Kollins, and Cathrine Hoyo. “Pre-Pregnancy Weight and Symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Executive Functioning Behaviors in Preschool Children.” Int J Environ Res Public Health 16, no. 4 (February 25, 2019). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16040667.
Do, E. K., N. L. Zucker, Z. Y. Huang, J. C. Schechter, S. H. Kollins, R. L. Maguire, S. K. Murphy, C. Hoyo, and B. F. Fuemmeler. “Associations between imprinted gene differentially methylated regions, appetitive traits and body mass index in children.” Pediatr Obes 14, no. 2 (February 2019): e12454. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijpo.12454.
Kantor, Boris, Lidia Tagliafierro, Jeffrey Gu, Madison E. Zamora, Ekaterina Ilich, Carole Grenier, Zhiqing Y. Huang, Susan Murphy, and Ornit Chiba-Falek. “Downregulation of SNCA Expression by Targeted Editing of DNA Methylation: A Potential Strategy for Precision Therapy in PD.” Mol Ther 26, no. 11 (November 7, 2018): 2638–49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymthe.2018.08.019.
Moylan, Cynthia A., Patricia A. Sorrow, Alisha Mavis, Mustafa Bashir, Dereje Jima, Rachel Maguire, Erol Bozdogan, et al. “Obesity and Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Childhood Associate with Altered DNA Methylation in Early Life.” In Hepatology, 68:949A-950A. WILEY, 2018.
Gomih, Ayodele, Jennifer S. Smith, Kari E. North, Michael G. Hudgens, Wendy R. Brewster, Zhiqing Huang, David Skaar, et al. “DNA methylation of imprinted gene control regions in the regression of low-grade cervical lesions.” Int J Cancer 143, no. 3 (August 1, 2018): 552–60. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.31350.
Gao, Lu, Xiaochen Liu, Joshua Millstein, Kimberly D. Siegmund, Louis Dubeau, Rachel L. Maguire, Junfeng Jim Zhang, et al. “Self-reported prenatal tobacco smoke exposure, AXL gene-body methylation, and childhood asthma phenotypes.” Clin Epigenetics 10, no. 1 (July 20, 2018): 98. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13148-018-0532-x.
Green, Adrian J., Cathrine Hoyo, Carolyn J. Mattingly, Yiwen Luo, Jung-Ying Tzeng, Susan K. Murphy, David B. Buchwalter, and Antonio Planchart. “Cadmium exposure increases the risk of juvenile obesity: a human and zebrafish comparative study.” Int J Obes (Lond) 42, no. 7 (July 2018): 1285–95. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41366-018-0036-y.
Tindula, Gwen, Susan K. Murphy, Carole Grenier, Zhiqing Huang, Karen Huen, Maria Escudero-Fung, Asa Bradman, Brenda Eskenazi, Cathrine Hoyo, and Nina Holland. “DNA methylation of imprinted genes in Mexican-American newborn children with prenatal phthalate exposure.” In Epigenomics, 10:1011–26, 2018. https://doi.org/10.2217/epi-2017-0178.