Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Mori, S., J. T. Chang, E. R. Andrechek, N. Matsumura, T. Baba, G. Yao, J. W. Kim, M. Gatza, S. Murphy, and J. R. Nevins. “Anchorage-independent cell growth signature identifies tumors with metastatic potential..” Oncogene 28, no. 31 (August 6, 2009): 2796–2805. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2009.139.
Ding, X., A. B. Mohd, Z. Huang, T. Baba, M. Q. Bernardini, H. K. Lyerly, A. Berchuck, S. K. Murphy, A. B. Buermeyer, and G. R. Devi. “MLH1 expression sensitises ovarian cancer cells to cell death mediated by XIAP inhibition..” Br J Cancer 101, no. 2 (July 21, 2009): 269–77. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605180.
Huang, Zhiqing, Yaqing Wen, Lauren Simel, Thomas Price, Andrew Berchuck, and Susan K. Murphy. “CTCF binding at a novel intragenic binding site is associated with elevated IGF2 expression in serous epithelial ovarian cancer.” Cancer Research 69 (May 1, 2009).
Kondoh, Eiji, Tsukasa Baba, Noriomi Matsumura, Ikuo Konishi, Shingo Fujii, Andrew Berchuck, and Susan Murphy. “UCN-01 is effective in targeting ovarian cancer spheroids.” Cancer Research 69 (May 1, 2009).
Berchuck, Andrew, Edwin S. Iversen, Jingqin Luo, Jennifer P. Clarke, Hisani Horne, Douglas A. Levine, Jeff Boyd, et al. “Microarray analysis of early stage serous ovarian cancers shows profiles predictive of favorable outcome..” Clin Cancer Res 15, no. 7 (April 1, 2009): 2448–55. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-2430.
Kondoh, Eiji, Takako Okamoto, Toshihiro Higuchi, Keiji Tatsumi, Tsukasa Baba, Susan K. Murphy, Kenji Takakura, Ikuo Konishi, and Shingo Fujii. “Stress affects uterine receptivity through an ovarian-independent pathway..” Hum Reprod 24, no. 4 (April 2009): 945–53. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/den461.
Murphy, Susan K., Friederike L. Jayes, Liping Feng, Zhiqing Huang, and Phyllis C. Leppert. “Altered IGF2/H19 Imprint Center Methylation in Uterine Fibroids but Not in Adjacent Myometrium.” In Reproductive Sciences, 16:216A-216A. SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC, 2009.
Murphy, Susan K., Friederike L. Jayes, Liping Feng, Zhiqing Huang, and Phyllis C. Leppert. “Methylation of THBS1, the Gene Encoding Thrombospondin-1 in Uterine Fibroids and Myometrium.” In Reproductive Sciences, 16:214A-214A. SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC, 2009.