Maguire, RL, Vidal, AC, Murphy, SK, and Hoyo, C. "Disparities in Cervical Cancer Incidence and Mortality: Can Epigenetics Contribute to Eliminating Disparities?." Advances in cancer research 133 (January 2017): 129-156. (Review)
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke KURe Program
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Gao, L, Millstein, J, Siegmund, KD, Dubeau, L, Maguire, R, Gilliland, FD, Murphy, SK, Hoyo, C, and Breton, CV. "Epigenetic regulation of AXL and risk of childhood asthma symptoms." Clinical Epigenetics 9 (January 2017): 121-null.
Soubry, A, Hoyo, C, Butt, CM, Fieuws, S, Price, TM, Murphy, SK, and Stapleton, HM. "Human exposure to flame-retardants is associated with aberrant DNA methylation at imprinted genes in sperm." Environmental Epigenetics 3, no. 1 (January 2017): dvx003-null.
Moylan, CA, Wegermann, KJ, Henao, RG, Murphy, SK, Diehl, AM, and Abdelmalek, MF. "BCAT1 Is Associated with Clinical Decompensation in Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: a Pilot Study." October 2016.
Murphy, SK, Keyhan, S, Guo, L, Tomins, K, Taylor, M, Joglekar, R, Huang, Z, Grenier, C, Liao, Y, Massarsky, A, Soubry, A, Lea, A, Burke, EE, Cauley, M, Hall, BJ, Lucas, JE, Hoyo, C, Di Giulio, RT, Levin, ED, and Price, TM. "Environmental Influence on Preconceptional and Gestational DNA Methylation Profiles." September 2016.
Moylan, CA, and Murphy, SK. "DNA Methylation: Basic Principles." In Medical Epigenetics, 11-31. July 1, 2016.
Yamanoi, K, Matsumura, N, Murphy, SK, Baba, T, Abiko, K, Hamanishi, J, Yamaguchi, K, Koshiyama, M, Konishi, I, and Mandai, M. "Suppression of ABHD2, identified through a functional genomics screen, causes anoikis resistance, chemoresistance and poor prognosis in ovarian cancer." Oncotarget 7, no. 30 (July 2016): 47620-47636.
Schiöth, HB, Boström, A, Murphy, SK, Erhart, W, Hampe, J, Moylan, C, and Mwinyi, J. "A targeted analysis reveals relevant shifts in the methylation and transcription of genes responsible for bile acid homeostasis and drug metabolism in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease." BMC genomics 17 (June 14, 2016): 462-.
Fuemmeler, BF, Wang, L, Iversen, ES, Maguire, R, Murphy, SK, and Hoyo, C. "Association between Prepregnancy Body Mass Index and Gestational Weight Gain with Size, Tempo, and Velocity of Infant Growth: Analysis of the Newborn Epigenetic Study Cohort." Childhood Obesity 12, no. 3 (June 2016): 210-218.
Dewi, FN, Wood, CE, Willson, CJ, Register, TC, Lees, CJ, Howard, TD, Huang, Z, Murphy, SK, Tooze, JA, Chou, JW, Miller, LD, and Cline, JM. "Effects of Pubertal Exposure to Dietary Soy on Estrogen Receptor Activity in the Breast of Cynomolgus Macaques." Cancer Prevention Research (Philadelphia, Pa.) 9, no. 5 (May 2016): 385-395.