Moylan, CA, and Murphy, SK. "DNA Methylation: Basic Principles." In Medical Epigenetics, 11-31. July 1, 2016.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Duke KURe Program
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Yamanoi, K, Matsumura, N, Murphy, SK, Baba, T, Abiko, K, Hamanishi, J, Yamaguchi, K, Koshiyama, M, Konishi, I, and Mandai, M. "Suppression of ABHD2, identified through a functional genomics screen, causes anoikis resistance, chemoresistance and poor prognosis in ovarian cancer." Oncotarget 7, no. 30 (July 2016): 47620-47636.
Schiöth, HB, Boström, A, Murphy, SK, Erhart, W, Hampe, J, Moylan, C, and Mwinyi, J. "A targeted analysis reveals relevant shifts in the methylation and transcription of genes responsible for bile acid homeostasis and drug metabolism in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease." BMC genomics 17 (June 14, 2016): 462-.
Fuemmeler, BF, Wang, L, Iversen, ES, Maguire, R, Murphy, SK, and Hoyo, C. "Association between Prepregnancy Body Mass Index and Gestational Weight Gain with Size, Tempo, and Velocity of Infant Growth: Analysis of the Newborn Epigenetic Study Cohort." Childhood obesity (Print) 12, no. 3 (June 2016): 210-218.
Dewi, FN, Wood, CE, Willson, CJ, Register, TC, Lees, CJ, Howard, TD, Huang, Z, Murphy, SK, Tooze, JA, Chou, JW, Miller, LD, and Cline, JM. "Effects of Pubertal Exposure to Dietary Soy on Estrogen Receptor Activity in the Breast of Cynomolgus Macaques." Cancer Prevention Research (Philadelphia, Pa.) 9, no. 5 (May 2016): 385-395.
Murakami, R, Matsumura, N, Mandai, M, Yoshihara, K, Tanabe, H, Nakai, H, Yamanoi, K, Abiko, K, Yoshioka, Y, Hamanishi, J, Yamaguchi, K, Baba, T, Koshiyama, M, Enomoto, T, Okamoto, A, Murphy, SK, Mori, S, Mikami, Y, Minamiguchi, S, and Konishi, I. "Establishment of a Novel Histopathological Classification of High-Grade Serous Ovarian Carcinoma Correlated with Prognostically Distinct Gene Expression Subtypes." The American journal of pathology 186, no. 5 (May 2016): 1103-1113.
Li, Y, Xie, C, Murphy, SK, Skaar, D, Nye, M, Vidal, AC, Cecil, KM, Dietrich, KN, Puga, A, Jirtle, RL, and Hoyo, C. "Lead Exposure during Early Human Development and DNA Methylation of Imprinted Gene Regulatory Elements in Adulthood." Environmental Health Perspectives 124, no. 5 (May 2016): 666-673.
Joubert, BR, Felix, JF, Yousefi, P, Bakulski, KM, Just, AC, Breton, C, Reese, SE, Markunas, CA, Richmond, RC, Xu, C-J, Küpers, LK, Oh, SS, Hoyo, C, Gruzieva, O, Söderhäll, C, Salas, LA, Baïz, N, Zhang, H, Lepeule, J, Ruiz, C, Ligthart, S, Wang, T, Taylor, JA, Duijts, L, Sharp, GC, Jankipersadsing, SA, Nilsen, RM, Vaez, A, Fallin, MD, Hu, D, Litonjua, AA, Fuemmeler, BF, Huen, K, Kere, J, Kull, I, Munthe-Kaas, MC, Gehring, U, Bustamante, M, Saurel-Coubizolles, MJ, Quraishi, BM, Ren, J, Tost, J, Gonzalez, JR, Peters, MJ, Håberg, SE, Xu, Z, van Meurs, JB, Gaunt, TR, Kerkhof, M, Corpeleijn, E, Feinberg, AP, Eng, C, Baccarelli, AA, Benjamin Neelon, SE, Bradman, A, Merid, SK, Bergström, A, Herceg, Z, Hernandez-Vargas, H, Brunekreef, B, Pinart, M, Heude, B, Ewart, S, Yao, J, Lemonnier, N, Franco, OH, Wu, MC, Hofman, A, McArdle, W, Van der Vlies, P, Falahi, F, Gillman, MW, Barcellos, LF, Kumar, A, Wickman, M, Guerra, S, Charles, M-A, Holloway, J, Auffray, C, Tiemeier, HW, Smith, GD, Postma, D, Hivert, M-F, Eskenazi, B, Vrijheid, M, Arshad, H, Antó, JM, Dehghan, A, Karmaus, W, Annesi-Maesano, I, Sunyer, J, Ghantous, A, Pershagen, G, Holland, N, Murphy, SK, DeMeo, DL, Burchard, EG, Ladd-Acosta, C, Snieder, H, Nystad, W, Koppelman, GH, Relton, CL, Jaddoe, VWV, Wilcox, A, Melén, E, and London, SJ. "DNA Methylation in Newborns and Maternal Smoking in Pregnancy: Genome-wide Consortium Meta-analysis." American Journal of Human Genetics 98, no. 4 (April 2016): 680-696.
Peng, J, Yoshioka, Y, Mandai, M, Matsumura, N, Baba, T, Yamaguchi, K, Hamanishi, J, Kharma, B, Murakami, R, Abiko, K, Murphy, SK, and Konishi, I. "The BMP signaling pathway leads to enhanced proliferation in serous ovarian cancer-A potential therapeutic target." Molecular carcinogenesis 55, no. 4 (April 2016): 335-345.
McCullough, LE, Miller, EE, Mendez, MA, Murtha, AP, Murphy, SK, and Hoyo, C. "Maternal B vitamins: effects on offspring weight and DNA methylation at genomically imprinted domains." Clinical epigenetics 8 (January 22, 2016): 8-.