Murakami, R, Matsumura, N, Mandai, M, Yoshihara, K, Tanabe, H, Nakai, H, Yamanoi, K, Abiko, K, Yoshioka, Y, Hamanishi, J, Yamaguchi, K, Baba, T, Koshiyama, M, Enomoto, T, Okamoto, A, Murphy, SK, Mori, S, Mikami, Y, Minamiguchi, S, and Konishi, I. "Establishment of a Novel Histopathological Classification of High-Grade Serous Ovarian Carcinoma Correlated with Prognostically Distinct Gene Expression Subtypes." The American journal of pathology 186, no. 5 (May 2016): 1103-1113.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke KURe Program
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Li, Y, Xie, C, Murphy, SK, Skaar, D, Nye, M, Vidal, AC, Cecil, KM, Dietrich, KN, Puga, A, Jirtle, RL, and Hoyo, C. "Lead Exposure during Early Human Development and DNA Methylation of Imprinted Gene Regulatory Elements in Adulthood." Environmental Health Perspectives 124, no. 5 (May 2016): 666-673.
Joubert, BR, Felix, JF, Yousefi, P, Bakulski, KM, Just, AC, Breton, C, Reese, SE, Markunas, CA, Richmond, RC, Xu, C-J, Küpers, LK, Oh, SS, Hoyo, C, Gruzieva, O, Söderhäll, C, Salas, LA, Baïz, N, Zhang, H, Lepeule, J, Ruiz, C, Ligthart, S, Wang, T, Taylor, JA, Duijts, L, Sharp, GC, Jankipersadsing, SA, Nilsen, RM, Vaez, A, Fallin, MD, Hu, D, Litonjua, AA, Fuemmeler, BF, Huen, K, Kere, J, Kull, I, Munthe-Kaas, MC, Gehring, U, Bustamante, M, Saurel-Coubizolles, MJ, Quraishi, BM, Ren, J, Tost, J, Gonzalez, JR, Peters, MJ, Håberg, SE, Xu, Z, van Meurs, JB, Gaunt, TR, Kerkhof, M, Corpeleijn, E, Feinberg, AP, Eng, C, Baccarelli, AA, Benjamin Neelon, SE, Bradman, A, Merid, SK, Bergström, A, Herceg, Z, Hernandez-Vargas, H, Brunekreef, B, Pinart, M, Heude, B, Ewart, S, Yao, J, Lemonnier, N, Franco, OH, Wu, MC, Hofman, A, McArdle, W, Van der Vlies, P, Falahi, F, Gillman, MW, Barcellos, LF, Kumar, A, Wickman, M, Guerra, S, Charles, M-A, Holloway, J, Auffray, C, Tiemeier, HW, Smith, GD, Postma, D, Hivert, M-F, Eskenazi, B, Vrijheid, M, Arshad, H, Antó, JM, Dehghan, A, Karmaus, W, Annesi-Maesano, I, Sunyer, J, Ghantous, A, Pershagen, G, Holland, N, Murphy, SK, DeMeo, DL, Burchard, EG, Ladd-Acosta, C, Snieder, H, Nystad, W, Koppelman, GH, Relton, CL, Jaddoe, VWV, Wilcox, A, Melén, E, and London, SJ. "DNA Methylation in Newborns and Maternal Smoking in Pregnancy: Genome-wide Consortium Meta-analysis." American Journal of Human Genetics 98, no. 4 (April 2016): 680-696.
Peng, J, Yoshioka, Y, Mandai, M, Matsumura, N, Baba, T, Yamaguchi, K, Hamanishi, J, Kharma, B, Murakami, R, Abiko, K, Murphy, SK, and Konishi, I. "The BMP signaling pathway leads to enhanced proliferation in serous ovarian cancer-A potential therapeutic target." Molecular carcinogenesis 55, no. 4 (April 2016): 335-345.
McCullough, LE, Miller, EE, Mendez, MA, Murtha, AP, Murphy, SK, and Hoyo, C. "Maternal B vitamins: effects on offspring weight and DNA methylation at genomically imprinted domains." Clinical epigenetics 8 (January 22, 2016): 8-.
Matsumura, N, Yamanoi, K, Murphy, SK, Hamanishi, J, Abiko, K, Yamaguchi, K, Baba, T, Koshiyama, M, and Konishi, I. "Abstract A38: Identification through functional genomics screening of factors whose downregulation enhances the side population in ovarian cancer." Clinical Cancer Research 22, no. 2 Supplement (January 15, 2016): A38-A38.
Su, D, Wang, X, Campbell, MR, Porter, DK, Pittman, GS, Bennett, BD, Wan, M, Englert, NA, Crowl, CL, Gimple, RN, Adamski, KN, Huang, Z, Murphy, SK, and Bell, DA. "Distinct Epigenetic Effects of Tobacco Smoking in Whole Blood and among Leukocyte Subtypes." Plos One 11, no. 12 (January 2016): e0166486-null.
Fuemmeler, BF, Lee, C-T, Soubry, A, Iversen, ES, Huang, Z, Murtha, AP, Schildkraut, JM, Jirtle, RL, Murphy, SK, and Hoyo, C. "DNA Methylation of Regulatory Regions of Imprinted Genes at Birth and Its Relation to Infant Temperament." Genetics & Epigenetics 8 (January 2016): 59-67.
Nye, MD, King, KE, Darrah, TH, Maguire, R, Jima, DD, Huang, Z, Mendez, MA, Fry, RC, Jirtle, RL, Murphy, SK, and Hoyo, C. "Maternal blood lead concentrations, DNA methylation of MEG3 DMR regulating the DLK1/MEG3 imprinted domain and early growth in a multiethnic cohort." Environmental Epigenetics 2, no. 1 (January 2016).
King, KE, Kane, JB, Scarbrough, P, Hoyo, C, and Murphy, SK. "Neighborhood and Family Environment of Expectant Mothers May Influence Prenatal Programming of Adult Cancer Risk: Discussion and an Illustrative DNA Methylation Example." Biodemography and social biology 62, no. 1 (January 2016): 87-104.