Nye, MD, King, KE, Darrah, TH, Maguire, R, Jima, DD, Huang, Z, Mendez, MA, Fry, RC, Jirtle, RL, Murphy, SK, and Hoyo, C. "Maternal blood lead concentrations, DNA methylation of MEG3 DMR regulating the DLK1/MEG3 imprinted domain and early growth in a multiethnic cohort." Environmental Epigenetics 2, no. 1 (January 2016).
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN) Clinical Site
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Duke KURe Program
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
King, KE, Kane, JB, Scarbrough, P, Hoyo, C, and Murphy, SK. "Neighborhood and Family Environment of Expectant Mothers May Influence Prenatal Programming of Adult Cancer Risk: Discussion and an Illustrative DNA Methylation Example." Biodemography and social biology 62, no. 1 (January 2016): 87-104.
Soubry, A, Guo, L, Huang, Z, Hoyo, C, Romanus, S, Price, T, and Murphy, SK. "Obesity-related DNA methylation at imprinted genes in human sperm: Results from the TIEGER study." Clinical epigenetics 8 (January 2016): 51-.
Peng, J, Hamanishi, J, Matsumura, N, Abiko, K, Murat, K, Baba, T, Yamaguchi, K, Horikawa, N, Hosoe, Y, Murphy, SK, Konishi, I, and Mandai, M. "Chemotherapy Induces Programmed Cell Death-Ligand 1 Overexpression via the Nuclear Factor-κB to Foster an Immunosuppressive Tumor Microenvironment in Ovarian Cancer." Cancer research 75, no. 23 (December 2015): 5034-5045.
Sachdeva, M, Dodd, RD, Huang, Z, Grenier, C, Ma, Y, Lev, DC, Cardona, DM, Murphy, SK, and Kirsch, DG. "Epigenetic silencing of Kruppel like factor-3 increases expression of pro-metastatic miR-182." Cancer letters 369, no. 1 (December 2015): 202-211.
Varadaraj, A, Patel, P, Serrao, A, Bandyopadhay, T, Lee, NY, Jazaeri, AA, Huang, Z, Murphy, SK, and Mythreye, K. "Epigenetic Regulation of GDF2 Suppresses Anoikis in Ovarian and Breast Epithelia." Neoplasia (New York, N.Y.) 17, no. 11 (November 2015): 826-838.
Hemachandra, LPMP, Shin, D-H, Dier, U, Iuliano, JN, Engelberth, SA, Uusitalo, LM, Murphy, SK, and Hempel, N. "Mitochondrial Superoxide Dismutase Has a Protumorigenic Role in Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma." Cancer research 75, no. 22 (November 2015): 4973-4984.
Keenan, MM, Liu, B, Tang, X, Wu, J, Cyr, D, Stevens, RD, Ilkayeva, O, Huang, Z, Tollini, LA, Murphy, SK, Lucas, J, Muoio, DM, Kim, SY, and Chi, J-T. "ACLY and ACC1 Regulate Hypoxia-Induced Apoptosis by Modulating ETV4 via α-ketoglutarate." PLoS genetics 11, no. 10 (October 9, 2015): e1005599-.
King, KE, Darrah, TH, Money, E, Meentemeyer, R, Maguire, RL, Nye, MD, Michener, L, Murtha, AP, Jirtle, R, Murphy, SK, Mendez, MA, Robarge, W, Vengosh, A, and Hoyo, C. "Geographic clustering of elevated blood heavy metal levels in pregnant women." BMC public health 15 (October 9, 2015): 1035-.
Ding, J, Reynolds, LM, Zeller, T, Müller, C, Lohman, K, Nicklas, BJ, Kritchevsky, SB, Huang, Z, de la Fuente, A, Soranzo, N, Soranzo, N, Settlage, RE, Chuang, C-C, Howard, T, Xu, N, Goodarzi, MO, Chen, Y-DI, Rotter, JI, Siscovick, DS, Parks, JS, Murphy, S, Jacobs, DR, Post, W, Tracy, RP, Wild, PS, Blankenberg, S, Hoeschele, I, Herrington, D, McCall, CE, and Liu, Y. "Alterations of a Cellular Cholesterol Metabolism Network Are a Molecular Feature of Obesity-Related Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease." Diabetes 64, no. 10 (October 2015): 3464-3474.