Murphy, S. K., R. Schrott, Z. Visco, Z. Huang, C. Grenier, J. Mitchell, J. Schechter, et al. “Environment and Gametic Epigenetic Reprogramming..” In Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, 58:S28–S28. WILEY, 2017.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Cordero, Francisco J., Zhiqing Huang, Carole Grenier, Xingyao He, Guo Hu, Roger E. McLendon, Susan K. Murphy, Rintaro Hashizume, and Oren J. Becher. “Histone H3.3K27M Represses p16 to Accelerate Gliomagenesis in a Murine Model of DIPG..” Mol Cancer Res 15, no. 9 (September 2017): 1243–54. https://doi.org/10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-16-0389.
Liu, Yongmei, Lindsay M. Reynolds, Jingzhong Ding, Li Hou, Kurt Lohman, Tracey Young, Wei Cui, et al. “Blood monocyte transcriptome and epigenome analyses reveal loci associated with human atherosclerosis..” Nat Commun 8, no. 1 (August 30, 2017). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-017-00517-4.
McCullough, Lauren E., Erline E. Miller, Laura E. Calderwood, Nitin Shivappa, Susan E. Steck, Michele R. Forman, Michelle A Mendez, et al. “Maternal inflammatory diet and adverse pregnancy outcomes: Circulating cytokines and genomic imprinting as potential regulators?.” Epigenetics 12, no. 8 (August 2017): 688–97. https://doi.org/10.1080/15592294.2017.1347241.
Huang, Zhiqing, Brad Foster, Carole Grenier, Gregory Sfakianos, Regina Whitaker, Andrew Berchuck, and Susan K. Murphy. “Abstract 1991: Enhanced role of the extracellular matrix in ovarian cancer recurrence.” In Tumor Biology. American Association for Cancer Research, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1158/1538-7445.am2017-1991.
Gonzalez-Nahm, Sarah, Michelle Mendez, Whitney Robinson, Susan K. Murphy, Cathrine Hoyo, Vijaya Hogan, and Diane Rowley. “Low maternal adherence to a Mediterranean diet is associated with increase in methylation at the MEG3-IG differentially methylated region in female infants..” Environ Epigenet 3, no. 2 (May 2017). https://doi.org/10.1093/eep/dvx007.
Luo, Yiwen, Lauren E. McCullough, Jung-Ying Tzeng, Thomas Darrah, Avner Vengosh, Rachel L. Maguire, Arnab Maity, et al. “Maternal blood cadmium, lead and arsenic levels, nutrient combinations, and offspring birthweight..” Bmc Public Health 17, no. 1 (April 24, 2017). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-017-4225-8.
Moylan, Cynthia A., Ricardo Henao Giraldo, Susan K. Murphy, Anna Mae Diehl, and Manal F. Abdelmalek. “Differential DNA Methylation in Whole Blood Reflects that in Liver and Distinguishes Patients with Advanced NAFLD Fibrosis from Those with Normal Histology: A Potential Non-Invasive Tool.” In Gastroenterology, 152:S1069–70. Elsevier BV, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0016-5085(17)33611-9.
Breton, Carrie V., Carmen J. Marsit, Elaine Faustman, Kari Nadeau, Jaclyn M. Goodrich, Dana C. Dolinoy, Julie Herbstman, et al. “Small-Magnitude Effect Sizes in Epigenetic End Points are Important in Children's Environmental Health Studies: The Children's Environmental Health and Disease Prevention Research Center's Epigenetics Working Group..” Environ Health Perspect 125, no. 4 (April 2017): 511–26. https://doi.org/10.1289/EHP595.
Hoffman, Kate, Craig M. Butt, Thomas F. Webster, Emma V. Preston, Stephanie C. Hammel, Colleen Makey, Amelia M. Lorenzo, et al. “Temporal Trends in Exposure to Organophosphate Flame Retardants in the United States..” Environ Sci Technol Lett 4, no. 3 (March 14, 2017): 112–18. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.estlett.6b00475.