Moylan, Cynthia A., Kara J. Wegermann, Ricardo G. Henao, Susan K. Murphy, Anna Mae Diehl, and Manal F. Abdelmalek. “BCAT1 Is Associated with Clinical Decompensation in Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: a Pilot Study.” In American Journal of Gastroenterology, 111:S381–S381. Ovid Technologies (Wolters Kluwer Health), 2016. https://doi.org/10.14309/00000434-201610001-00871.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Murphy, S. K., S. Keyhan, L. Guo, K. Tomins, M. Taylor, R. Joglekar, Z. Huang, et al. “Environmental Influence on Preconceptional and Gestational DNA Methylation Profiles.” In Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, 57:S39–S39. WILEY-BLACKWELL, 2016.
Yamanoi, Koji, Noriomi Matsumura, Susan K. Murphy, Tsukasa Baba, Kaoru Abiko, Junzo Hamanishi, Ken Yamaguchi, Masafumi Koshiyama, Ikuo Konishi, and Masaki Mandai. “Suppression of ABHD2, identified through a functional genomics screen, causes anoikis resistance, chemoresistance and poor prognosis in ovarian cancer.” Oncotarget 7, no. 30 (July 26, 2016): 47620–36. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.9951.
Moylan, C. A., and S. K. Murphy. “DNA Methylation: Basic Principles.” In Medical Epigenetics, 11–31, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-803239-8.00002-8.
Schiöth, Helgi B., Adrian Boström, Susan K. Murphy, Wiebke Erhart, Jochen Hampe, Cynthia Moylan, and Jessica Mwinyi. “A targeted analysis reveals relevant shifts in the methylation and transcription of genes responsible for bile acid homeostasis and drug metabolism in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.” Bmc Genomics 17 (June 14, 2016): 462. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-016-2814-z.
Fuemmeler, Bernard F., Lin Wang, Edwin S. Iversen, Rachel Maguire, Susan K. Murphy, and Cathrine Hoyo. “Association between Prepregnancy Body Mass Index and Gestational Weight Gain with Size, Tempo, and Velocity of Infant Growth: Analysis of the Newborn Epigenetic Study Cohort.” Child Obes 12, no. 3 (June 2016): 210–18. https://doi.org/10.1089/chi.2015.0253.
Dewi, Fitriya N., Charles E. Wood, Cynthia J. Willson, Thomas C. Register, Cynthia J. Lees, Timothy D. Howard, Zhiqing Huang, et al. “Effects of Pubertal Exposure to Dietary Soy on Estrogen Receptor Activity in the Breast of Cynomolgus Macaques.” Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 9, no. 5 (May 2016): 385–95. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-15-0165.
Murakami, Ryusuke, Noriomi Matsumura, Masaki Mandai, Kosuke Yoshihara, Hiroshi Tanabe, Hidekatsu Nakai, Koji Yamanoi, et al. “Establishment of a Novel Histopathological Classification of High-Grade Serous Ovarian Carcinoma Correlated with Prognostically Distinct Gene Expression Subtypes.” Am J Pathol 186, no. 5 (May 2016): 1103–13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpath.2015.12.029.
Li, Yue, Changchun Xie, Susan K. Murphy, David Skaar, Monica Nye, Adriana C. Vidal, Kim M. Cecil, et al. “Lead Exposure during Early Human Development and DNA Methylation of Imprinted Gene Regulatory Elements in Adulthood.” Environ Health Perspect 124, no. 5 (May 2016): 666–73. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.1408577.
Joubert, Bonnie R., Janine F. Felix, Paul Yousefi, Kelly M. Bakulski, Allan C. Just, Carrie Breton, Sarah E. Reese, et al. “DNA Methylation in Newborns and Maternal Smoking in Pregnancy: Genome-wide Consortium Meta-analysis.” Am J Hum Genet 98, no. 4 (April 7, 2016): 680–96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajhg.2016.02.019.