Fuemmeler, Bernard F., Chien-Ti Lee, Adelheid Soubry, Edwin S. Iversen, Zhiqing Huang, Amy P. Murtha, Joellen M. Schildkraut, Randy L. Jirtle, Susan K. Murphy, and Cathrine Hoyo. “DNA Methylation of Regulatory Regions of Imprinted Genes at Birth and Its Relation to Infant Temperament..” Genet Epigenet 8 (2016): 59–67. https://doi.org/10.4137/GEG.S40538.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Nye, Monica D., Katherine E. King, Thomas H. Darrah, Rachel Maguire, Dereje D. Jima, Zhiqing Huang, Michelle A. Mendez, et al. “Maternal blood lead concentrations, DNA methylation of MEG3 DMR regulating the DLK1/MEG3 imprinted domain and early growth in a multiethnic cohort..” Environ Epigenet 2, no. 1 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1093/eep/dvv009.
King, Katherine E., Jennifer B. Kane, Peter Scarbrough, Cathrine Hoyo, and Susan K. Murphy. “Neighborhood and Family Environment of Expectant Mothers May Influence Prenatal Programming of Adult Cancer Risk: Discussion and an Illustrative DNA Methylation Example..” Biodemography Soc Biol 62, no. 1 (2016): 87–104. https://doi.org/10.1080/19485565.2015.1126501.
Peng, Jin, Junzo Hamanishi, Noriomi Matsumura, Kaoru Abiko, Kumuruz Murat, Tsukasa Baba, Ken Yamaguchi, et al. “Chemotherapy Induces Programmed Cell Death-Ligand 1 Overexpression via the Nuclear Factor-κB to Foster an Immunosuppressive Tumor Microenvironment in Ovarian Cancer..” Cancer Res 75, no. 23 (December 1, 2015): 5034–45. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-14-3098.
Sachdeva, Mohit, Rebecca D. Dodd, Zhiqing Huang, Carole Grenier, Yan Ma, Dina C. Lev, Diana M. Cardona, Susan K. Murphy, and David G. Kirsch. “Epigenetic silencing of Kruppel like factor-3 increases expression of pro-metastatic miR-182..” Cancer Lett 369, no. 1 (December 1, 2015): 202–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2015.08.016.
Hemachandra, LP Madhubhani P., Dong-Hui Shin, Usawadee Dier, James N. Iuliano, Sarah A. Engelberth, Larissa M. Uusitalo, Susan K. Murphy, and Nadine Hempel. “Mitochondrial Superoxide Dismutase Has a Protumorigenic Role in Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma..” Cancer Res 75, no. 22 (November 15, 2015): 4973–84. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-14-3799.
Varadaraj, Archana, Pratik Patel, Anne Serrao, Tirthankar Bandyopadhay, Nam Y. Lee, Amir A. Jazaeri, Zhiqing Huang, Susan K. Murphy, and Karthikeyan Mythreye. “Epigenetic Regulation of GDF2 Suppresses Anoikis in Ovarian and Breast Epithelia..” Neoplasia 17, no. 11 (November 2015): 826–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neo.2015.11.003.