Sachdeva, Mohit, Rebecca D. Dodd, Zhiqing Huang, Carole Grenier, Yan Ma, Dina C. Lev, Diana M. Cardona, Susan K. Murphy, and David G. Kirsch. “Epigenetic silencing of Kruppel like factor-3 increases expression of pro-metastatic miR-182.” Cancer Lett 369, no. 1 (December 1, 2015): 202–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2015.08.016.
Susan Kay Murphy, PhD
Ovarian and cervical cancer epigenetics, imprinted genes in ovarian and cervical cancers, identification of methylation biomarkers of disease, ovarian cancer stem cells, chemotherapeutic response in ovarian cancer, tumor dormancy, the influence of the in utero environment on DNA methylation and risk of disease.
Education and Training
- Ph.D., Wake Forest University, 1998
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 1992
Selected Grants and Awards
- Population Health Research Support IDIQ Base
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Duke KURe Program
- Follow-up and Maintenance of the Newborn Epigenetics STudy (NEST) Cohort
- Does exposure to mitochondrial toxicants during germ cell development result in lifelong alterations in mitochondrial function mediated by epigenetic changes?
- Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health
- Potential pathophysiologic mechanisms linking air pollution exposure in pregnant women to reduced birth weight
- Translational Research in Surgical Oncology
- Population Health Research Support - Study of Pregnancy and Neonatal Health (SPAN) Task A
- Validation and interrogation of differentially expressed and alternatively spliced genes in African American prostate ca
- Children Exposure to SVOC Mixtures Indoors and Associations with Obesity
- Paternal Transgenerational Epigenetic Legacy from Use of Cannabis
- Organization and Function of Cellular Structure
- Pharmacological Sciences Training Program
- Epigenomics in insulin resistance associated overactive bladder
- Clarifying the role of tobacco retail outlets on maternal smoking during pregnancy and child secondhand smoke exposure
- Genetic and Epigenetic Markers of Progressive Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Epigenetics and the Development of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Duke University Program in Environmental Health
- Social adversities, epigenetics, and the obesity epidemic
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health Following EtS Exposure (NICHES)
- Neurodevelopment and Improving Children's Health following EtS exposure (NICHES)
- Triggering human anti-tumor stringent response to target recurrent ovarian cancer
- Immune regulated amino acid pathways in Alzheimer's Disease
- Pilot Project: Effects of Cannabis on the Epigenome of Humans and Rats
- Joint Environmental, Genetic and Epigenetic Regulation of Tyrosine Receptor Kinases and Childhood Respiratory Disease
- Functional Genomic Screens of Tumor Recurrence in Ovarian Cancer
- Cancer Biology Training Grant
- Obesity and deregulation of imprinted genes in early life
- Epigenetic influence on early childhood self-regulation capacities and obesity
- Ovarian Cancer Initiating Cells: Metabolic Characterization
- Gene Regulation in Recurrent Ovarian Cancers
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genes
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted Genes
- Characterizing Alcohol's Effects on Repair of Liver Injury
- Identification and Characterization of Epigenetically Labile Genes
- In-utero Exposure and Infant Loss of IGF2 Imprinting
- Imprinted PEG3 Domain at 19q13.4 and carcinogenesis
Hemachandra, LP Madhubhani P., Dong-Hui Shin, Usawadee Dier, James N. Iuliano, Sarah A. Engelberth, Larissa M. Uusitalo, Susan K. Murphy, and Nadine Hempel. “Mitochondrial Superoxide Dismutase Has a Protumorigenic Role in Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma.” Cancer Res 75, no. 22 (November 15, 2015): 4973–84. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-14-3799.
Varadaraj, Archana, Pratik Patel, Anne Serrao, Tirthankar Bandyopadhay, Nam Y. Lee, Amir A. Jazaeri, Zhiqing Huang, Susan K. Murphy, and Karthikeyan Mythreye. “Epigenetic Regulation of GDF2 Suppresses Anoikis in Ovarian and Breast Epithelia.” Neoplasia 17, no. 11 (November 2015): 826–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neo.2015.11.003.
King, Katherine E., Thomas H. Darrah, Eric Money, Ross Meentemeyer, Rachel L. Maguire, Monica D. Nye, Lloyd Michener, et al. “Geographic clustering of elevated blood heavy metal levels in pregnant women.” Bmc Public Health 15 (October 9, 2015): 1035. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-015-2379-9.
Keenan, Melissa M., Beiyu Liu, Xiaohu Tang, Jianli Wu, Derek Cyr, Robert D. Stevens, Olga Ilkayeva, et al. “ACLY and ACC1 Regulate Hypoxia-Induced Apoptosis by Modulating ETV4 via α-ketoglutarate.” Plos Genet 11, no. 10 (October 2015): e1005599. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1005599.
Ding, Jingzhong, Lindsay M. Reynolds, Tanja Zeller, Christian Müller, Kurt Lohman, Barbara J. Nicklas, Stephen B. Kritchevsky, et al. “Alterations of a Cellular Cholesterol Metabolism Network Are a Molecular Feature of Obesity-Related Type 2 Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease.” Diabetes 64, no. 10 (October 2015): 3464–74. https://doi.org/10.2337/db14-1314.
Moylan, Cynthia A., Susan K. Murphy, Carole Grenier, Manal F. Abdelmalek, and Anna Mae Diehl. “DNA Methylation Profiles of Fibrosis-Associated Gene in Blood Reflects Liver Fibrosis Severity in Human Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.” In Hepatology, 62:648A-649A. WILEY-BLACKWELL, 2015.
Huang, Zhiqing, Zachery Visco, Gregory Sfakianos, Regina Whitaker, Andrew Berchuck, and Susan Murphy. “Abstract POSTER-BIOL-1319: Temporal shifts in the epigenetic regulation of tight junctions from primary to recurrent ovarian cancer.” In Biology of Ovarian Cancer. American Association for Cancer Research, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1158/1557-3265.ovcasymp14-poster-biol-1319.
Huang, Zhiqing, Zachery Visco, Gregory Sfakianos, Regina Whitaker, Andrew Berchuck, and Susan K. Murphy. “Abstract 2236: Emergence of epigenetic regulation of tight junction genes in recurrent serous epithelial ovarian cancer.” In Tumor Biology. American Association for Cancer Research, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1158/1538-7445.am2015-2236.