Luke Gatta, MD
Why did you chose Duke for residency training?
The culture is committed to mentorship. We compel one another to work at our highest standards, in a shared sense of promoting the common good for our patients and their families.
What excites you about the residency/fellowship program at Duke OB/GYN?
Servant leadership is expected among the residents and fellows, and I am excited to see where the “Duke process” takes us, individually and collectively.
What are your career interests?
Still discerning — somewhere in academics and I am pursuing a fellowship. I anticipate complementing a clinical career with research in bioethics.
What are your hobbies?
Hailing from Brooklyn, I once considered myself a city-slicker. However, my heartland (from Iowa) wife is gradually making me more of an outdoorsman. I still listen to baseball on the radio. And if our house were on fire, I would run back in to save a shelf of books signed by the authors that I have had the opportunity to meet.
Education & Training
Saint Louis University, 2012
Drexel University College of Medicine, 2016
Awards & Honors
- Practice Course Professionalism Award, 2017
- Intern Teaching Award, 2017
- Duke SOM Appleseed Award, 2017
- Maurice C. Clifford Leadership Award, 2016
- Golden Apple for Outstanding Service and Teaching, 2016
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2016
Publications & Presentations
- Gatta LA, Jiang X, Schnatz PF. (2015). Hormonal therapy in women with primary ovarian insufficiency or early menopause. Menopause, 22(9), 923-5.
- Gatta LA, Schultheiss C, Amat M, Ruth O. “Issues of health care access for adults with intellectual/developmental disability; the role of medical students in primary care and prevention.” Presented at Society for Student Run Free Clinics conference 2015. Atlanta, GA. Amat M, Ruth O, Gatta LA. Schultheiss C. “Mental health programs at free clinics.” Society for Student-Run Free Clinics conference 2015. Atlanta GA.
I have just begun to work with Dr. Andra James, in the maternal/fetal medicine division. She is an exceptional researcher and clinican, who writes guidelines for coagulopathy in obstetrics. How fortunate it is to be learning from her years of experience!